Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skis on, need snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Skis on, need snow.

Anyone recommend a ski instructor in the Minneapolis area? Put the skis on today. Took 6 hours to get the brackets, tabs and cables on. Should be about 5 min to put on and off from now on.

Still need to reinstall brake pads and bleed the left brake after rerouting the brake line.

Need more air in the 850s. Most folks run them at the max 30psi with wheel penetration Skis?

Started snowing an hour ago.

Jake20171204_181721.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    all our snow melted today in Alaska... global warming can be a good thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would plan more than 5 minutes. The tires need to be hockey pucks.

https://youtu.be/mWUL969TxNE

Quote Originally Posted by C130jake View Post
    Anyone recommend a ski instructor in the Minneapolis area? Put the skis on today. Took 6 hours to get the brackets, tabs and cables on. Should be about 5 min to put on and off from now on.

Still need to reinstall brake pads and bleed the left brake after rerouting the brake line.

Need more air in the 850s. Most folks run them at the max 30psi with wheel penetration Skis?

Jake20171204_181721.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would plan more than 5 minutes.

The tires need to be hockey pucks.

Don't taxi with the flaps down - the rudder does not work well.

Start with a very long wide runway.

Ski flying seems to me to be a - see one - do one- teach one - kind of a thing.

For the see one - get this video: https://youtu.be/E7sBrlCJCIU

Jake20171204_181721.jpg

Likes C130jake, stknrddr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jake20171204_181721.jpg

Didn't you get a float rating? Same game different dock

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes C130jake, flylowslow, C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Retka at Fleming Field. I sent you his phone number.
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn
    with shovels and snowshoes!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes RaisedByWolves, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    Except conditions vary greatly. Soft wet snow is incedibly draggy and requires power to move the plane. Sometimes more power than you have available. That's when snowshoes and shovels are needed. On the flip side, wet ice is so slick you'll be convinced you'll never stop, and you might not until you hit something. Skis are fun but ski flying comes with risk and adventure.

Conditions that favor short takeoffs provide long landings.
    Conditions that favor long takeoffs provide short landings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve always said that ski Flying is the most fun you can have in an airplane......right up until it’s not.

MTV
    Likes Ouapetec, SJ, kestrel, skukum12, C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You will never brag how light your cub is after getting it stuck in snow or overflow.
    Likes cubdriver2, SJ, mvivion, Poor Joe, phdigger123 and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of you Southern boys got any ski pictures? All we want to do up here is make some tracks and you got all the snow down there.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shared a few on the tips and trics....no skis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    and overflow is so much fun!

Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So........nobody has any skis?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    It's in the 40s in Anchorage and is supposed to stay that way for several days. Alaskans need ice before snow and what we had of either is melting. I have no desire to put skis on for this.
    Likes AKCRUISER liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping for some south of the Mason Dixon line ski pictures

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    The float pond in Fairbanks has lots of overflow along the shore and in spider spots here and there. Rained a little here and the snow has settled plus been warm +10 to +35F. More on the way this week from shortwave storms coming from the Gulf of Alaska. Have skis on but plane is iced on top and am too lazy to go water skiing

Gary
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Put my skis on over thanksgiving now I wish I had my 35s on—-When The wheels are on I need the skiis——could have worse problems I guess. The frozen in rocks in ice are pretty hard on tires. 20Lbs of tire pressure is more than enough for tires on GLH 3000. 8.50 tires on skis will put a guy back on hes toes after flying <4lbs of bushwheel pressure all summer. I hope real Alaska winters are not a thing of the past because high wind and warm sucks.
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you like the GLH skis? They're a strong contender for my new Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was 50 and sunny here. No precip for the last week or so. It was a good day for the 26s and a bad day for skis

Post Thanks / Like
    Near the Idaho/Wyoming border at 8640', there is plenty of snow, still a bit sparse down lower though about right for this time of year. My second time out this year on the skis, I feel warmed up now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking I might need to mow by Wednesday, here in Eagle River Ak... most of the green grass is showing(and dog poop), and they were talking about opening the Palmer golf course for yesterday(Saturday....)

Post Thanks / Like
    But you can get a 2 month head start on doody duty. There's ALWAYS a silver lining.

I trained my dog to poop in the neighbor's yard years ago. Life is good!
    Likes CamTom12, OLDCROWE, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes—the GLH skis float as good or much better than anything. They get on top nicely. After landing and the skis are a foot or more in the snow I have steped off and instantly go chest deep+ Many times. Downsides are that it is harder to get into the slush on a drag by-and if in the spring you want to go clamming before skiing they are not as good as federals on sand as there is not as much tire. Even as the skis are (kind of) light the wheels, tires,breaks,pump add up. They work for me and unless I needed to land on gravel bars and snow they are the ticket for early and late season.
    Thanks skukum12 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Drag-by for overflow?...If floating on big skis pull the tailwheel down hard and watch for overflow in its track. Can be rough on the tail but if it's critical then try.

Edit: Why bother? Maybe you want to park somewhere and don't want takeoff issues later, or just to get out and check your traps for fur. Maybe go fishing? Yes once out you will discover overflow but it's nice to know and decide before.

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 12-11-2017 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 4WF View Post
    After landing and the skis are a foot or more in the snow I have stepped off and instantly go chest deep+ Many times. Downsides are that it is harder to get into the slush on a drag by-
    ???If the skis float high enough in the snow, why do you care if there is overflow? Is it just that you won't know that you are stepping off into the slush?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, the ground clearance is what bothers me. I’m not surprised you commented on it. Thanks for the reply.
    Likes jimboflying liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    ???If the skis float high enough in the snow, why do you care if there is overflow? Is it just that you won't know that you are stepping off into the slush?
    There can be a fine line from floating over the slush and when the plane stops and settles into the slush. When it settles it usually turns it into a camping trip which is what I am prepared for but want to avoid. With unconsolidated deep snow it can also settle to the wings. When it is cold you can lay tacks come back at a later date and have a good frozen setup. When I land and there is slush I go to plan b and leave.
    Thanks skywagon8a, Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Landing and parking even briefly on overflow in real cold (like well below zero) can create problems. If the plane settles into the slush it'll have to be able to climb back on top of any snow cover to take off. There's never enough power to plow a trench and reach takeoff speed it seems. That can become a real problem if the skis blow a trail into the snow and overflow. The skis may not climb up on top until the overflow water depth decreases. By then the prop has picked up slush and water which has most likely frozen to the tip reducing thrust. The skis are covered on top with heavy slush, and worse yet, some of the slush freezes to the bottom of the very cold skis while parked.

The only way out sometimes is to snowshoe a trail ahead to compact the snow and slush and shovel that packed trail full of snow until it hardens. If the skis are in water they'll be ok, but if the slush is freezing best get going soon.

I've taken off with at least 4" of slush frozen to the cold ski bottoms after checking my traps for 15 minutes with no way to remove it until the next landing...which becomes a high drag affair best prepared for. A few brief T&G hits on a packed surface will get rid of most of the rough gob, but not all. Then how to get the ice gob off the bottoms? Dig a hole under the middle of the skis and scrape away.

Find overflow, pack it down with at least three adjacent and overlapping sets of ski tracks, and come back later when it's frozen.

Gary
    Likes skywagon8a, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Landing and parking even briefly on overflow in real cold (like well below zero) can create problems. If the plane settles into the slush it'll have to be able to climb back on top of any snow cover to take off. There's never enough power to plow a trench and reach takeoff speed it seems. That can become a real problem if the skis blow a trail into the snow and overflow. The skis may not climb up on top until the overflow water depth decreases. By then the prop has picked up slush and water which has most likely frozen to the tip reducing thrust. The skis are covered on top with heavy slush, and worse yet, some of the slush freezes to the bottom of the very cold skis while parked.

The only way out sometimes is to snowshoe a trail ahead to compact the snow and slush and shovel that packed trail full of snow until it hardens. If the skis are in water they'll be ok, but if the slush is freezing best get going soon.

I've taken off with at least 4" of slush frozen to the cold ski bottoms after checking my traps for 15 minutes with no way to remove it until the next landing...which becomes a high drag affair best prepared for. A few brief T&G hits on a packed surface will get rid of most of the rough gob, but not all. Then how to get the ice gob off the bottoms? Dig a hole under the middle of the skis and scrape away.

Find overflow, pack it down with at least three adjacent and overlapping sets of ski tracks, and come back later when it's frozen.

Gary
    All compounded because you need to keep the tail high enough to keep the drag off the TW or tail ski. So down the lake you go trying to build some speed but with the tail high you don't have any AOA so it doesn't get any better and your only hope is the skis hydroplaning up out of the water and slush.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    All compounded because you need to keep the tail high enough to keep the drag off the TW or tail ski. So down the lake you go trying to build some speed but with the tail high you don't have any AOA so it doesn't get any better and your only hope is the skis hydroplaning up out of the water and slush.

Glenn
    Yes AOA or the lack thereof is a factor. Snow depth varied from 1-3' and slush usually to the top of boots. Once we dig a trench on landing and stop adjacent water comes a runnin' to see what all the fuss is about and fills any void. It's then shovel and snowshoe time on occasion.

I had tail skis on the Citabria and PA-18A that was used for this trapping purpose and they help float that back end some. But the big factor was longer landing gear...Scout gear and a STOL kit on the Champ and 3" Cub gear with VG's on the other. That offered some more AOA but still low lift but helped keep the water off the prop. If the prop gets wet it's tea and cookie time plus lots of scraping ice. A tall ski pedestal helps as well...but wide skis can slow down the trenching process if they don't float the plane on top. I had an 80" C/S prop on the 150 Champ and an 80/40 Mac on the Cub which is essential. A good roll-up of the ski tip is better than flatter in climbing up. Federals and Aero's do good there.

Today I'd use a set of those double slotted flaps and 160 or more hp. Or just come back later when all the excitement has frozen.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching the wind blow waves in the water that's sitting on top of the ice at Lake Hood today. A different kind of overflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally starting to look like winter around here. Stillwater Res webcam

Glenn
    Thanks siegel185 thanked for this post
    Likes 180Marty, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Got enough snow and ice here to start putting the ski strip in at the hangar...

IMG_3760.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Close to +40 in Fairbanks and melting. When it's warm here the cold and snow go southeast in search welcoming committees. Going to be like this for a few weeks so get your skis on.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    It's in the 40s in Anchorage and is supposed to stay that way for several days. Alaskans need ice before snow and what we had of either is melting. I have no desire to put skis on for this.
    I got some good ski flying in the last two weeks of November. Haven't been out since December 3, nor do I plan to until we get some cold to set things up. There is a good snow cover and base out west, it will be really good once it gets cold and can heal things up. Right now its overflow-city.
    =========
    PA-12 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Look ma, no skis! The mighty PA11 leaving for winter storage, resident counsel JP at the stick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYiLUPS5go

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaving for winter storage?!! Shame on him living in Maine and not having a pair of skis. Sell a weapon, buy Skis JP!

I've got a pair of old Rossignols that would probably work for your weight. no payment needed, just get video of them flying on your -11.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Not entirely accurate on my part, I need the Hangar space to store the snow fighting squadron he is going to the big hangar in Dexter. I will let him talk about skis, I know he had some ,actually he has it all, a nice Cub special, a smoking hot wife, high powered legal career, and rugged good looks. He is the man
    jim
    Thanks 62E thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim I know you're too humble to say it, so let me finish that thought for you. He also has a great friend. so obviously you are right, he does have it all.

Merry Christmas,
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post