• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

paint question

jimboflying

Can anyone tell me what caused this to occur in the Stewarts Ecoprime layer over Ecofill? Spray layer too heavy, paint too thin, temp to cold? Ideas?
IMG_1249.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,455
I wish they would certify a more standard topcoat. I love their glue and Ekofill, and find that it is a good base for butyrate. We re-taped a fuselage, then another shop sprayed a urethane top coat over our extensive Stewarts repairs. Gorgeous! It sat outside for over three years - many parts of the aircraft, including factory new wings, suffered greatly, but that fuselage still sparkles with no cracks.

My personality has a difficult time with very precise measuring of fluids - it is all I can do to set a carburetor up. When I spray paint it is a little thinner here, some rejuvenator there, some retarder maybe, all splashed into the gun, and zap. Stewarts finish will not put up with that.

Hard telling from the picture but I've seen ekoprime do something like that if you put too much on too fast. Should sand out easily though.

It's hard for me to see from your picture, but I think I am seeing solvent popping. You may have applied a too heavy top coat over a not sufficiently tacked and maybe too thick lower coat. I fog coat until i get the color the way I want it, then I apply the last coat with the same gun settings, only closer and slower with the gun.

My guess is water. Somehow water/moisture was introduced into the mixture.

A few hints for the EkoPrime. Regarding thinning it out, using a viscosity cup is a good way to ensure that the material is properly thinned. Viscosity in the 22 second range works well. Ekoprime is ready to be sprayed right out of the can but, if necessary, can be thinned with distilled water. No more than 10% water is recommended. Sounds like you thinned it ok unless it already had been thinned. Runs like that can come from a combination of issues or any one of the following: gun tip size, pressure at gun, and speed of application and distance from surface. With the Stewart Systems finishes, light fog coats are recommend even when using Ekoprime or Ekofill to build up surface thickness. I'm teaching the seminars for Stewart Systems and if you can give me some more info on your set up I can help figure out what caused the runs. As stated above, Ekoprime will easily sand out with 320-400 grit open coat paper (dry sanded) after just a few hours if temps are in the 60-70 degree range.
Marty

Thanks for the many ideas. The setup used was a Rotary air compressor with lots of air available, Refrigerant air dyer, 50 psi at separator pressure regulator, 50 feet of 3/8 air hose with 2 wide orifice couplers, 25 psi at gun gauge available but set to 18psi, Binks M1-g HVLP gun, 1.4 mm nozzle, 1 light fog coat followed by a heavy wet coat as per instructions, temp of spray booth was 72-76 F. , spray distance about 7 inches.

Since I was doing 2 wings, could the fog coat have dried too much before I got to the heavier wet coat and the thinner paint ran off?

Just a question, did you shoot primer over ekofill? If so why , I'm getting ready to shoot a wing tip. Thanks

IMG_1881.jpg I shot this wing with ekofill and Stewart's top coat right on the ekofill. The wing I'm doing now, the customer want urethane top coat and I'm thinking of shooting right on the ekofill. Marty 57 would you comment on this idea, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 339
The reason for the ekoprime is to make it easier to shoot yellow. If your top coat is white, you probably do not need primer. I have never had adhesion problems over Ekofill.

I shot this wing with ekofill and Stewart's top coat right on the ekofill. The wing I'm doing now, the customer want urethane top coat and I'm thinking of shooting right on the ekofill. Marty 57 would you comment on this idea, thanks.
That wing looks very nice; you have the EkoPoly application down. As far as shooting urethane over Ekoflii; why dosen't the customer want Ekopoly over the Ekofill? I gather the wing you are shooting now is also exp? Urethane over Ekofill isn't in the STC because those finishes were not tested together so not legal on a certified bird. A catalyzed urethane should work fine but when you start mixing different types of paint with different thinners (solvents vs distilled water) you definitely cross over into the experimental zone. Depending on the urethane, adhesion is somewhat of an unknown. Ekopoly and Ekofill are designed to be fully compatible so I would recommend to the customer to stick with the same system. If they want a clear coat that is available in Ekopoly. From the perspective of your warranty on the urethane top coat, if the urethane isn't comparable and issues crop up in a year or two what happens?
Marty

The reason for the ekoprime is to make it easier to shoot yellow. If your top coat is white, you probably do not need primer. I have never had adhesion problems over Ekofill.
Bob,
Agreed, yellow over Ekofill is hard to get color saturation without putting on more paint than needed. White or charcoal gray Ekoprime is very helpful for achieving full color saturation. Orange is another color where white Ekoprime over Ekofill is desired.
Marty

I'd like to see a bigger, better picture of that problem. I can't see much detail from a small picture like you have. I've been using this system since the 90's and have gone through the changes from what it was back then. From what I can see from this picture, I'd be more apt to call out a contamination, especially if you have good results elsewhere on that surface.
John

Urethane over Ekofill isn't in the STC

I was about to say that EkoPoly is Urethane so what's the problem but I notice that the description of the paint has changed on their web site, it no longer refers to it as Urethane although the name still indicates it's a polyurethane paint and likely is. They seem to purposely avoid the term polyurethane calling it instead a 'high performance topcoat', never noticed this before. I've got some older Stewart's products from 10 years ago or so and it's clearly advertised as a Polyurethane Top Coat.
What do you know Marty?

Urethane over Ekofill isn't in the STC

I was about to say that EkoPoly is Urethane so what's the problem but I notice that the description of the paint has changed on their web site, it no longer refers to it as Urethane although the name still indicates it's a polyurethane paint and likely is. They seem to purposely avoid the term polyurethane calling it instead a 'high performance topcoat', never noticed this before. I've got some older Stewart's products from 10 years ago or so and it's clearly advertised as a Polyurethane Top Coat.
What do you know Marty?
Both Ekopoly and Ekocrylic top coats are waterborn catalyzed polyurethanes. Ekocrylic is for metal only as it is a harder more brittle top coat and less flexible. Ekopoly is designed for the flexibility needed on fabric and is suitable for both metal and fabric. Both top coats can be color sanded and buffed; Ekocrylic being a bit easier due to it's greater hardness. Both top coats hold up over time to the same standards as tested for the STC's. So, short answer is both top coats are polyurethanes. I guess the confusion is that calling a paint "urethane" is common to solvent based paints as well as waterborn paints. One thing to remember is that Ekopoly and Ekocrylic is not water based; water is the carrier agent for the solids and replaces solvents with mineral water. When most users refer to urethane they are using it in a generic way and referring to solvent based paints. I suspect when a customer refers to urethane they are likely meaning solvent based vs waterborn. Sorry about the confusion on the web site. If you have the newest manual (Rev.#3); section 11 page 2 specifies the top coats as polyurethanes. Long answer here but hope this helps understand the product better.

Back to original question of the post, I suspect the runs were caused by either the primer being too thin or the gun slowed down for some reason. I've had that happen when I'm not paying attention and pause with my forward motion because the hose is hung up or something is in my way and I have to reach; slowing down my progress.

Marty

I shot some White Ekoprime on previously sprayed and sanded Ekofill for a seminar I'm teaching this weekend. Thought I'd share settings and results. I'll be shooting Metallic Yellow EkoPrime on both these surfaces.

Surface prep: Clean with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on damp synthetic shop towel followed by waterborn paint tack cloth and last wipe with lightly alcohol dusted cloth.

Gun: DeVilbiss Finishline 4

Tip: 1.5mm

Pressure: 58-60psi feed at regulator; 23psi at gun. Air is 13cfm and dry,
through a dryer set up with three different traps. 3/8" fittings with only quick disconnect is gun.

Gun Settings: Fan open wide; volume 3/4 turn open

EkoPrime: Checked from can at 25 seconds viscosity; thinned with a little water in gun. 25 seconds will give a dryer spray that will dry quickly in cool temps. 21 seconds will give smother finish. 25 seconds gives slightly rough finish ready for 400 open coat in less than one hour.

Application: Medium fog coat; applied 2-3 light cross coats. Purpose of Ekoprime is to lighten up surface for easier color saturation with yellow EkoPoly to follow. This set up will achieve the lightest in weight finish with minimal top coat to achieve proper color saturation.

Ready to lightly sand with 400 open coat in about one hour.

Hope this helps figuring out the application of EkoPrime.

Marty

IMG_0423.jpgIMG_0424.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 248
Different paint question this time. My horizontal stabilizers were covered using the Polyfiber technique with Polytone as the topcoat. Cracks in the finish have occurred just behind the leading edge tube. My question is how to fix it?
78411990135f7da9503972c086d10381.jpg
e6b761373be679cdece2315f9a43900e.jpg

My first question is how many cracks do you have, and how old is the finish. Polytone is easy to repair as it will soften easily with solvent and you can practically swipe them out and refinish. You will see repairs unless you carefully sand and then recoat the entire piece. Polyfiber colors are the same basic material as the silver coats under them with color added, so be careful not to go to far and lose your UV protection for that area. If you do apply silver and then color again. If you plan to fly that fabric for years to come, you might want to consider repairing the cracks and then apply a coat of aerothane to get some flexibility in the top coat. If you are worried about the new coats being too shiny just dull the finish coat with a little more thinner or add some flattener that is made for aerothane. If I haven't answered your question, feel free to ask some more. What you have there is a pretty easy fix at any rate and will hold up when repaired unless the fabric was not shrunk enough when installed and that is what caused the cracking because of excessive flexing.

The fabric and Polytone is about 10 years old. The cracking is only right next to the trailing side of the leading edge tube of the horizontal stabilizer. Would MEK be the correct solvent?

The fabric and Polytone is about 10 years old. The cracking is only right next to the trailing side of the leading edge tube of the horizontal stabilizer. Would MEK be the correct solvent?
Yes, that will work, though lacquer thinner will work well do. I use more of the lacquer thinner because it is cheaper by the 5 gallon pail. If what you have going on there is only in the last year or two I would say you had no fabric install issues. If only two or three years old, I would be more concerned. Those kind of issues you have are not uncommon at 10yrs.

Mine has gotten stained with bird poop and other stuff over the years and someone suggested painting it. Fabric is ceconite and in good shape, plane has never been outside in the sun. I once had a 12 that had been repainted and it didn't hold up too well.

Sprayed the infamous Yellow top coat. Side one went fine but side two is still tacky after two days. Ideas?IMG_1273.JPGIMG_1275.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 301
Sprayed the infamous Yellow top coat. Side one went fine but side two is still tacky after two days. Ideas?View attachment 34429View attachment 34430

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
What top coat are you using? It sounds like not enough catalyst in what ever process you are using. I'm into my third project with Stewart's and have had a few minor problems, if that is what you are using. I like it and can spray right next to my hangar furnace and not worry about blowing up.

Back