• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installation of 24 gal fuel tanks and 2000 lbs mod

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
The trip from the Twin Cities to the WAD was a great one, but one that left me thinking about the +/- of extended fuel tanks. I have the standard 18 gal tanks now. The fabric on my super cub is good and there is no need to recover either the wings or the fuselage any time soon.

Would you please enlighten me as to what would be involved to remove the existing 18 gallon tanks and installing 24 gallon tanks? I understand that it may also be necessary to obtain and install the 2 ton STC. I see a thread initiated in 2004 about this, and there was mention that there are a few manufacturers. Crash offered some comments, as well.

I have contacted Roger Meggers and he hasn't done this to a super cub yet.

Any information would be appreciated.

Randy

Can you really sit for more than the three hours it takes to go through your current 36 gallon fuel supply?

Sometimes it’s nice to tanker gas. I have the Atlee 30.5 gallon tanks and love them.

You can always put less fuel into a larger tank. It’s hard to put more into a smaller one though.

The trip from the Twin Cities to the WAD was a great one, but one that left me thinking about the +/- of extended fuel tanks. I have the standard 18 gal tanks now. The fabric on my super cub is good and there is no need to recover either the wings or the fuselage any time soon.

Would you please enlighten me as to what would be involved to remove the existing 18 gallon tanks and installing 24 gallon tanks? I understand that it may also be necessary to obtain and install the 2 ton STC. I see a thread initiated in 2004 about this, and there was mention that there are a few manufacturers. Crash offered some comments, as well.

I have contacted Roger Meggers and he hasn't done this to a super cub yet.

Any information would be appreciated.

Randy

Glad to hear that your flying your Cub to the WAD from now on ;-)

Glenn

Sell your wings to me and go all new Dakota.:lol: I was just talking with Mike at Dakota about new wings and he said the tank size decision needed to be made before the wings were ordered, tanks were not simply interchangeable from 18 to 24. But that doesn't specifically answer your question.

Randy,

Probably the simplest, and maybe the least expensive route to getting a bit more fuel would be to remove your current cargo pod, and acquire a combination fuel/cargo pod. If memory serves, the combo pods carry up to 18 gallons of fuel, which would give you 54 gallons of fuel, with probably around 50 useable. That wouldn't require any mods to your wings, and you'd still have some cargo space in the pod. Also, the combo pods keep the extra fuel weight fairly far forward.

I'd still do the 2000 pound gross weight kit, though, to be legal.

MTV

I did a 4 hour plus leg on my trip to Utah with 5 gallons left when I landed. I really like my fuel flow gauge. The Oregon Aero seat is great but my boney butt was still sore after that trip.

I did a 4 hour plus leg on my trip to Utah with 5 gallons left when I landed. I really like my fuel flow gauge. The Oregon Aero seat is great but my boney butt was still sore after that trip.
To me it’s about getting to the end of a long leg and finding the pump won’t prime or the card reader is dead or the ever challenging task of finding fuel in Nebraska on a Sunday.

Thanks for the input. I really like my cargo pod and find many ways to fill it, so I would rather not swap it out for a combo. Good idea, though.

Would someone describe what would be involved in opening the wing, installing the mods, recovering the "patch"? I don't have a good handle on that. If not doable, will just leave it alone.

What fuel flow meter would you choose to install? I know Steve Eaton swears by his, and I find it useful in the 210.

Randy

Thanks for the input. I really like my cargo pod and find many ways to fill it, so I would rather not swap it out for a combo. Good idea, though.

Would someone describe what would be involved in opening the wing, installing the mods, recovering the "patch"? I don't have a good handle on that. If not doable, will just leave it alone.

What fuel flow meter would you choose to install? I know Steve Eaton swears by his, and I find it useful in the 210.

Randy
the dakota instructions are on their support page

http://dakotacub.com/support.html

Randy, I prefer Electronics International and have the FP-5L which is coupled to my Garmin 496 via the RS232 wires and will give me fuel to destination etc. To install the 24 gallon tanks I would uncover the inboard 4" of your wing, do the modification and then recover that section. Not a terrible job but I would pull wings to do it.
https://buy-ei.com/portfolio/fp-5-l/

Randy, maybe Mrs Claus will get you a new set of Dakota Cub wings with slotted leading edges and bigger tanks installed for Christmas. Selling yours would cover 30 - 40% of the cost.

Glenn

How about a removable tank which fits in your cargo pod? It can be plumbed into your fuel system and removed when you are not going to need it.

RandyBob

OR, you can buy my Cub.....72 gals, squared tips, A/P, Blahblahblah!
LouBob1

Ran across these and thought of ya. Shows what has to be added for the gw increase. The black piece on the rear spar
04ceb7b5365dacec63a0e0ddd8f495c7.jpg

e75a5a2bd5d8cd85d1b3e03f76b2c15d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on a good cub A&P in FLorida. I need new fuel tanks installed on my PA 12 (with recently covered wings).

Randy, my dad put them in my wings when we rebuilt them. He's installed at least 3 sets that I know of. Adds another tank strap, new leading edge and a extra piece to the false spar. Modify a couple ribs or replace with a new.

wings.jpg

Attachments

• wings.jpg
    wings.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 149
Larger fuel tanks are involved modification. You have to enlarge thtank bay by removing a rib & installing a new one to secure tank cover to. We have done several of these modifications, including the current one on AOPA's Sweepstakes Cub.
Dakota Cub has a very good enlarged tank that is similar to the OEM installation, except it holds about 5 more gallons per side. F Atlee Dodge has a larger set that hold 30.5 gallons per tank. (a lot of fuel for a cub). This tank is more expensive but is rigid mounted, not suspended. Either of the tanks can be installed individual or both. It is a more difficult task when the wings are covered but can be done. The 2000# Gross weight kit almost becomes a necessity with the weight of the extra fuel, especially if the aircraft is equipped with floats. WipAire did a great job on this mod is as usual - Great Company!! It is easier to do with the wings uncovered as the rear spar mod leaves quite a gash in the fabric. We @ Baker Air did the first 1 Ton Cub in 1999 for Wip.
Dakota Cub tanks are about $3500 for the pair and F. Atlee Dodge are $3125 ea. Plus install, frt, & mis parts and covering materials.

I am with you on wanting more fuel!!! Medical types understand that 12 hours is only the start of the day. My advice is to look around and find a set of uncovered wings and do tanks and upgrades before you recover and paint them. They seem to show up every now and then for a good price in lower 48. Once they are done it is only a one day swap with test flight and your down time is minimal. Sell your wings when done. I have a set of Atlee Dodge tanks and wings waiting for rebuild in my hanger because that is the real cub pilots fly.:lol:
DENNY

DENNY[/QUOTE]
Medical types understand that 12 hours is only the start of the day.

:ZZZsleep:

Back