Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CubCrafters_EX-3_FX-3-Small.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	33792

CUBCRAFTERS UNVEILS NEW CARBON CUB

Innovative EX-3 and FX-3 Models
    Feature More Power, Speed, Range, and Payload

Yakima, Washington – November 22, 2017: Light aircraft manufacturer, CubCrafters, is introducing two
    new variants of the company’s hugely successful Carbon Cub model, the Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3. The
    Carbon Cub EX-3 is an experimental amateur built (E-AB) kit, and the Carbon Cub FX-3 is the company’s
    FX (Factory eXperimental) builder assist version. Both feature CubCrafters’ new, more powerful, fuel-
    injected engine, constant-speed propeller, and higher 2,000 lb. gross weight limit.
    “With more than 500 Carbon Cubs flying, we are pleased to announce another meaningful step in the
    evolution of this aircraft”, said Randy Lervold, president of CubCrafters. “The Carbon Cub has a well-
    earned reputation as the performance leader among adventure aircraft, and now, with the introduction
    of the new EX-3 and FX-3 models, we are raising the performance bar even higher”.
    The new airframes are quite similar in appearance and dimension to existing Carbon Cubs, but the new
    fuselage and wings are designed and tested for increased gross weight (2,000 lb.), and higher speed
    (130+ mph cruise). The EX-3 and FX-3 sport a composite Trailblazer constant-speed prop and spinner
    from Hartzell, plus the aerodynamic carbon cowl from CubCrafters’ flagship, the XCub. Hidden beneath
    the cowl’s distinctive cooling fins turns an entirely new fuel-injected power plant created by the
    combined design resources at Superior Air Parts, Aero Sport Power, and CubCrafters. Together, these
    upgrades define a Carbon Cub that fills a logical position between the existing Carbon Cub EX-2/FX- 2
    models and the XCub.

Exclusive New CC363i Engine
    Providing power for the EX-3 and FX-3 is the new CC363i power plant. Developed in partnership with
    Superior Air Parts and Aero Sport Power, the CC363i is a lightweight four-cylinder engine with fuel
    injection from Precision Airmotive and electronic ignition by Lightspeed Engineering. Unique to the
    CC363i is CubCrafters’ ultra-lightweight cold air induction system. The company’s engineering group
    employed computational fluid design tools and considerable testing to optimize airflow within this
    exclusive carbon fiber manifold. Like previous Carbon Cub engines, the CC363i also features a very light
    aluminum oil sump fabricated entirely by CubCrafters. The CC363i produces 186+ horsepower and has a
    9.0:1 compression ratio for extended service life.
    Core engine components provided by Superior Air Parts include tapered barrel Millennium cylinders,
    roller tappets, and a counterweighted crankshaft. CubCrafters’ long-time engine partner, Aero Sport
    Power, provides assembly and testing of the CC363i using the Superior components, Precision Airmotive

FOR RELEASE 12 A.M. PST, NOVEMBER 22, 2017
    Silver Hawk EX fuel injection, Lightspeed dual electronic ignition, and CubCrafters’ new proprietary
    induction system and oil sump.
    Hartzell Trailblazer Composite Constant-Speed Propeller
    Like CubCrafters’ top-of- the line XCub, the Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3 are fitted with Hartzell’s
    lightweight Trailblazer constant-speed prop. The company offers an 80-inch Trailblazer as standard, and
    an 83-inch is available as an optional upgrade. Compared to the fixed-pitch prop available on current
    Carbon Cubs, the Trailblazer yields appreciably higher thrust for takeoff and climb, higher speed, and
    greater range for the EX-3/FX- 3.
    Increased 2,000 lb Gross Weight Limit
    The construction of the Carbon Cub EX-3/FX- 3 allows an increased useful load of up to 977 lbs, which is
    greater than any previous Carbon Cub. The new fuselage and wings feature even more robust design
    and execution compared to previous Carbon Cub models. The new 3x3 landing gear was originally
    designed for the XCub and features strengthened fuselage attach points. The wings’ rear spar and
    attachments have been bolstered, the leading edge uses thicker aluminum, and the new struts resemble
    those from the XCub. Despite the Experimental certification basis for the EX-3/FX- 3, the entire airframe
    has endured structural, systems, and flight testing that is similar to that of our FAA Part 23 certified
    aircraft.
    As suggested above, the new Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3 share a number of design advancements
    developed for the company’s top model, the XCub. CubCrafters’ exclusive G-Series ailerons and flaps,
    aerodynamic carbon composite cowl with cooling louvers, and composite engine cooling baffles are all
    included on the new variants. Particularly welcome is the adaptation of the XCub control stick with
    improved positioning and multifunction grip, and a high-output triple-zone cabin heater with windshield
    defrost.
    “Pilots who have flown the new prototype universally report that it climbs aggressively, handles
    beautifully, and is even more refined than the current models”, says Lervold. “In fact, the thrust
    generated by the new aircraft is 20% higher than any previous Carbon Cub!”
    Carbon Cub EX-3 kits and FX-3 aircraft are already being delivered to customers. For more information
    about the new airplanes, visit cubcrafters.com/carboncub. You may also contact CubCrafters or your
    local Certified Sales Center.
    ABOUT CUBCRAFTERS
    CubCrafters, founded in 1980 by current owner and CEO, Jim Richmond, is located at McAllister
    Field Airport (YKM) in Yakima, WA. CubCrafters’ roots are in the 70-year history of classic
    taildragger aviation, but its products and services are innovative and completely modern.
    CubCrafters designs and manufactures Experimental, LSA, and Part 23 Certified aircraft.
    The Carbon Cub family has redefined expectations of “backcountry aircraft” with its light
    weight, powerful engines, and breathtaking performance. The company’s newest introductions,
    the Carbon Cub EX-3, an E-AB kit, and FX-3, an addition to CubCrafters’ clever Factory
    eXperimental builder assist program, further advance Carbon Cub performance. The flagship
    XCub substantially expands the mission profile of sport utility aircraft with its higher speed,
    longer range and larger payload. The Top Cub offers a useful load of over 1,000 lbs. and is the
    most up-to- date iteration of the historic Super Cub available.
    For more information visit CubCrafters.com.
    CubCrafters
    1918 South 16th Avenue

Yakima, WA 98903

www.cubcrafters.com
    Last edited by SJ; 12-05-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes 1934A, eskflyer, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Patent infringement!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2466.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	33794  
    Likes PerryB, jnorris, Cub Special Ed, lvgbr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is news to me!

Sounds very nice from the release verbiage.

If you havent flown a CarbonCub, go get a test flight........all that power and light weight are addictive!!!

I have not flown this new new CC

Empty weight must have climbed a bit since they say the gross weight is 2000 with a useful of "...up to 977 pound..." (do the math.....2000lbs minus 977lbs means empty weigh is 1023 lbs)

But it will still be a HOOT to fly.
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    It is news to me!

Sounds very nice from the release verbiage.

If you havent flown a CarbonCub, go get a test flight........all that power and light weight are addictive!!!

I have not flown this new new CC

Empty weight must have climbed a bit since they say the gross weight is 2000 with a useful of "...up to 977 pound..." (do the math.....2000lbs minus 977lbs means empty weigh is 1023 lbs)

But it will still be a HOOT to fly.
    1023 is pretty light for an 0-360 (basically) with a constant speed prop cub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    May have found my next ride!
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I priced a kit out on the website, wow! Not cheap. Nice kit though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    May have found my next ride!
    Probably a year and a half wait once you pull the trigger

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    nothing with all new parts is cheap... + labor...

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    I remember when I was first starting out helping work on planes in late '80's the one brother bitching that a brand new super cub cost almost $40K... and we were buying C-185's for $40K used, $60K with new engine, paint and interior...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    I remember when I was first starting out helping work on planes in late '80's the one brother bitching that a brand new super cub cost almost $40K... and we were buying C-185's for $40K used, $60K with new engine, paint and interior...
    I remember when they were a lot cheaper than that.
    Likes skywagon8a, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    1023 is pretty light for an 0-360 (basically) with a constant speed prop cub.

I've been told the FX3 on tour EW is 1117

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn
    Find a 0-360 constant speed supercub on Bushwheels that’s been on scales and not calculated that weight. Oh with a glass panel and auto pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    That’s less than my fixed pitch O-320 VFR-panel Pacer on GY26s weighs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought my first plane a 1946 Piper j-3 in 1966. Cost me a whopping $1250.00!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Cub.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	33807

Post Thanks / Like
    Cause it had a bad oil leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes WindOnHisNose, KentI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    Marketing. Probably on those little bitty tires that are never leave their hanger and minus the normally installed options. My Dad dispised the marketing people and the spin they put on things whan he worked at Cummins Engine Company.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks mvivion thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No, dumb low time pilot left oil cap loose!
    Charles Aaron
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Marketing. Probably on those little bitty tires that are never leave their hanger and minus the normally installed options. My Dad dispised the marketing people and the spin they put on things whan he worked at Cummins Engine Company.
    Here's a reply from the despicable marketing people:

We've been flying the Carbon Cub FX-3 (Serial Number 1) with both 26" and 29" ABWs. Attached is the original W&B as certified with 26" Goodyears (1,117 lb.), and the equipment list after adding AOSS and 29" ABWs (1,125 lb.).

CCX-2000-0001 Arm-Moment.pdf
    CCX-2000-0001 Equip List.pdf
    Likes 40m, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwhitish View Post
    Here's a reply from the despicable marketing people:

We've been flying the Carbon Cub FX-3 (Serial Number 1) with both 26" and 29" ABWs. Attached is the original W&B as certified with 26" Goodyears (1,117 lb.), and the equipment list after adding AOSS and 29" ABWs (1,125 lb.).

CCX-2000-0001 Arm-Moment.pdf
    CCX-2000-0001 Equip List.pdf
    That is more in line than the 1023 lb. empty weight in the press release if you subtract the 977 lb useful load from the 2000 lb gross weight. Outa be a heck of an airplane. can't wait to fly it.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes cubdriver2, ATXCubDriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I reread my first post and see where it might be taken as I was saying that the 1117 lbs was marketing. I was thinking that the 1117 was more realistic than the 1023 lbs in the press release.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I reread my first post and see where it might be taken as I was saying that the 1117 lbs was marketing. I was thinking that the 1117 was more realistic than the 1023 lbs in the press release.
    N363EX is a nicely loaded airplane (glass panel, Oregon Aero seats front & rear, suspension, tires, urethane paint). It is fairly typical for our buyers in terms of options.

The Despicables are happy to provide real data whenever you like.
    Likes ATXCubDriver, StuBob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask them if where they got the 1023 lb empty weight in the press release.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Where would you get back the 100lbs? Would the subtraction of bushwheels, ASOS, Oregon Aero seats and a baby bushwheel yield the original 1023lbs? .....wish I could afford one but since I can’t, I might as well pile on
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The FX3 demo is enroute to South Florida. Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I get a demo flight tomorrow.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes OLDCROWE, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    dont do it Eddie!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    dont do it Eddie!
    I am spending my kids’ inheritance!
    Eddie Foy
    Likes mike mcs repair, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am spending my kids’ inheritance!

Do It! Let us know what you think of it
    Likes nightflyer, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I still would rather have a 940lb Carbon Cub on 31s. Has anyone ever stuck a cruise Catto on one to see how fast it would cruise? Might just need 2 props for all missions?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    The FX3 demo is enroute to South Florida. Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I get a demo flight tomorrow.
    Don't do it Eddie. Talked to Mike Sasser this morning, sounds like a heck of a Cub and it goes fast too. Might keep you from going to the dark side with a Cessna. He is getting his demo in a week or so, can't wait to fly it myself.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes ATXCubDriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I still would rather have a 940lb Carbon Cub on 31s. Has anyone ever stuck a cruise Catto on one to see how fast it would cruise? Might just need 2 props for all missions?

Glenn
    I have one in the hanger now. It hurts his take-off considerably. 130 mph with 78x54 Catto.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, Do you mind expanding on the 'considerably' comment. I am seriously interested in how much distance it takes on average over the climb configured prop. Double the distance, triple? Might be worth it for someone traveling on a long cross country to bring a 'play' prop along and use the speed prop for the trip. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do it Eddie, you know you want to!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
    Do it Eddie, you know you want to!
    We will see. The wait for the EX-3 is only 3 months or so I was told.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes nightflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Steve, Do you mind expanding on the 'considerably' comment. I am seriously interested in how much distance it takes on average over the climb configured prop. Double the distance, triple? Might be worth it for someone traveling on a long cross country to bring a 'play' prop along and use the speed prop for the trip. Thanks!
    I don't really know. It was noticeable having flown with him quite a bit.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one in the hanger now. It hurts his take-off considerably. 130 mph with 78x54 Catto.
    Does it get anywhere near redline, can you go fatter then 54?
    If you had a Catto traveling prop that gave you 130+ and a performance prop and both are light and a transport case, a 1500 mile trip would be close in time to either a Xcub or FX3 ? And when you got to the playground a half hour later you got your hotrod back.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. I don't fly it. I go 90-95 mph in my Super Cub and enjoy the flight. Picked my daughter up from college last week, 2:20 up and 1:36 back. We had a blast.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. I don't fly it. I go 90-95 mph in my Super Cub and enjoy the flight. Picked my daughter up from college last week, 2:20 up and 1:36 back. We had a blast.
    Me too, I'm a window shopper, if I see something that perks my interest I go check it out. I rarely fly a straight line.
    Not the speed that counts it's the journey

Glenn
    Likes AKCRUISER, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We will see. The wait for the EX-3 is only 3 months or so I was told.
    Marky, whats the wait if ordered today?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, I'm a window shopper, if I see something that perks my interest I go check it out. I rarely fly a straight line.
    Not the speed that counts it's the journey

Glenn
    I took her back to school Sunday morning. We had to climb over PowerLine the whole way back. We would see a coyote and chase him till he rolled over or made the brush. Had chased a lot of pigs but never through cotton fields. What a hoot. They can run fast down the rows but when you turn them across the rows cotton goes everywhere. We had a blast and made some great memories for sure. Saw some amazing countryside not many others get to see.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Farmboy, pzinck liked this post