• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Your Favorite Hand Gun for Flying in AK, MT, ID?

I'm in Stewart's camp. We would want heavy rifles to hunt bear and then consider very less powerful handguns for defense. I dearly love my Glocks but even the 10mm
is a joke compared to a heavy rifle. That said, if it's what you like and will have on you and not left somewhere it would still be nice to have.

My everyday carry was a Glock M43. I wanted something bigger and more pleasant to shoot so I got a M19. I love it but find the 43 so much easier to carry.
I may have to get another 43 as I gave mine to Marcia already with a pink grip wrap. Oh well.

BTW, I love my 1911's too but would rather have the 10mm Glock. But almost anything is better than an arrow for stopping.....

I saw a video of famed Bristol Bay lodge owner and guide Bill Simms on an archery Brownie hunt.

After a stalk to a dozing trophy size Brownie Boar, Bill draws his compound bow. The Brownie lifts his head and gets up before Bill gets steady after the bow let-off. A very scary moment as Bill "undraws" through the "heavy" part of the bow draw, sets the bow on the tundra, and.............wait for it...............draws and fires a custom 1911 to save his ass.

This guy has been there and done that.

Maybe someone is in contact with Bill and can get some details. There was some Cub flying in that TV episode also. fyi

And when we hunt bears the mindset is to shoot, shoot again, and shoot again. Then shoot again. ;) Nobody wants to be around a wounded bear. That applies in self defense, too, but if you don't slow him down on the first shot? You may not get another one off.

Best bear hunt video I ever saw was promotional for AAA Guide Service. There were a couple of good bow hunts and one bad one in it but a hunt with a guy named Archie was unforgettable. I can't find that video anywhere.

FYI- http://www.aaaalaskanoutfitters.com/page/page/1950096.htm

Last edited:
I accidentally posted a photo of the aftermath of a bear attack where the hunter survived, and quickly deleted it. If you stumbled on it before I was able to delete it, I am sorry. I was trying to set up a link to the photo so only those that really wanted to see could.

I'm about to blow your collective mind!

Top two are my 10mm. Glock 20, and the Rock Island Armoy 1911, chambered in 10
Bottom is my Glock 22, chambered in.40S&W.
39040907294_5cf30172d6_k.jpg

Not pictured is my day-to-day carry Glock 23 and when I'm in board shorts and flip-flops, I carry a Ruger LCP .380.

And of course my issued weapon is also a .40 as well.

I don't see a whole lot of bears in my day-to-day line of work...

2 leggers coming at me dont know my G43 is on them until they see it in my hand or a red dot on their C of M.

I confess to never drawing it in anger.

I'm about to blow your collective mind!

Top two are my 10mm. Glock 20, and the Rock Island Armoy 1911, chambered in 10
Bottom is my Glock 22, chambered in.40S&W.

Not pictured is my day-to-day carry Glock 23 and when I'm in board shorts and flip-flops, I carry a Ruger LCP .380.

And of course my issued weapon is also a .40 as well.

I don't see a whole lot of bears in my day-to-day line of work...

No Sig? The P226 is pretty sweet. I'm also fond of a Beretta PX4 full size.

Sig you ask?

Okay...
Deployment Weapon. Our new issue Sig P320. This one is in FDE Carry, 9mm.
25783441068_5ea3cc25e0_k.jpg

A bit blurry, but our Company logo. My callsign is on the other side of the slide.
39655578961_f52403c182_k.jpg

2 leggers coming at me dont know my G43 is on them until they see it in my hand or a red dot on their C of M.
I confess to never drawing it in anger.

I've got a G43 also, I like it.
My first Glock, don't know why it took me so long (25 years or so) to get one.
Easier to shoot well than my other 9mm, a Sig 938.

I've got a CPL, my usual carry is a mouse gun (Ruger LCP).
I also have never drawn a gun in anger, and hope I never ever need to.
The aftermath of a shooting (even in self-defense) would be either life-ending and/or life-changing.

I recently had a chance to spend some time with a former Marine weapons instructor who taught me the ins and outs of my AR-10. We got to talking about handguns and what he liked. Glock was his clear favorite. He said he could pull it out of his gear after riding around in the bottom of his pack in the sand and he never had to worry about it working, it was always ready to go. I learned a lot about 50cal machine guns from him and his buddy, who was also a weapons guy but Army. I look forward to some more AR time with him. God Bless the US Military guys. Thank you!

I did draw a gun once, but not in anger. A guy kept calling me brother and wanted to sell me some weed. I just wanted to be left alone to finish my burger and be on my way. When he opened my door and got a little pushier, it suddenly occurred to him that we didn't look anything alike, probably weren't brothers after all and I didn't want to buy any weed.
Then, I finished my burger peacefully.

Last edited:
We use green lasers here on the lake to flush Canada geese, it works like a charm. Is there any anecdotal evidence that a high powered green laser might turn a bear around?

sj

I just tried a green laser on some Geese in my backyard... thought I would take SJ's advice... They walked out of the yard and into the pond. Didnt do anything at all.... Next trick is to put that green laser on my pistol and see what happens. .

I just tried a green laser on some Geese in my backyard... thought I would take SJ's advice... They walked out of the yard and into the pond. Didnt do anything at all.... Next trick is to put that green laser on my pistol and see what happens. .
Something might happen if the trigger moves.

You'll have to stay up past sunset, better set an alarm...

We actually put a scope on them around here so you can find their eyes during the day, but it is a lot easier at night.

sj

I just tried it as it was getting dusk. Scared the crap out of them. Spooks the deer too. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stewart,
The Unit guys (aka Delta) now carry Glocks. More reliable in austere, dusty environments than their highly-tuned 45 single actions. There are critics who say that Glocks don’t provide the accuracy of the old systems. I was at Bragg recently for a recert overseen by some of their folks, and watched them routinely shoot profile targets at 100 yards with their Glocks. I was able to whack it a few times with my Sig 226, but those guys are in their own league...
J

I recently had a chance to spend some time with a former Marine weapons instructor who taught me the ins and outs of my AR-10. We got to talking about handguns and what he liked. Glock was his clear favorite. He said he could pull it out of his gear after riding around in the bottom of his pack in the sand and he never had to worry about it working, it was always ready to go. I learned a lot about 50cal machine guns from him and his buddy, who was also a weapons guy but Army. I look forward to some more AR time with him. God Bless the US Military guys. Thank you!

Bean bag rounds are the best deterrent for curious bears or bears you want to "discourage" without using lethal force. But, unless you want to meet some nice smoke jumpers, stay away from any of those pyrotechnics in even relatively damp climates. Those things will start a fire so fast you can't believe it.

I've used them on the Alaska Peninsula, but the other issue is that they launch, go out a somewhat variable distance, then explode.

The practical aspect of that is that you are just as likely to launch one that goes off on the OTHER side of the bear, as one that goes off BETWEEN you and the bear.....thus effectively herding the bear in your direction.....don't ask how I learned that. Subsequently, I just shot the bear with them....lit a few on fire, bears that is. But, in my experience, pyrotechnics are pretty iffy for bear deterrence.

Bean bags, on the other hand, work great, and they will impart some "good feelings" as our old DT instructor used to say.

We carried Remington 870 shotguns, with side saddle carriers, like this:
side saddle.png
We carried the shotgun loaded with slugs, so that if we encountered an aggressive bear, we had a live slug round first up.

We carried the rounds with primers down. The rearmost position or two on the side saddle carrier was fitted with a bean bag round. If I was dealing with a bear that needed some "good feelings", I could look down at the round in the carrier, verify that it was non lethal, pull it down out of the carrier with my right hand, open the slide, remove the slug round, drop the bean bag into the receiver, work the slide forward, and shoot the bear with the bean bag.

Rack the slide and you've got a slug round up next, in case the bear takes the bean bag encounter the wrong way. I never had that happen, by the way, and I've smacked quite a few bears with these things. In my experience, they either high tail it outta there, or jump, and then go on about what they were doing. If the latter, you've got an already habituated bear.....not good. Most bears, however, will get the hell outta Dodge when hit with one of these things.

The bean bags are expensive, but effective. I highly recommend that before you go afield with these things, you go to a range with a piece of plywood or pine board and shoot a bean bag at the board. Two reasons: First, you'll find that these things are fairly accurate at close range (unlike most of the pyro rounds). Second, you'll realize just how potent the impact is when you see the dent they leave in the wood.

One of the beauties of carrying a short barrel shotgun for bear protection is that it affords NON lethal as well as lethal capabilities. A large caliber rifle does not. I hate skinning bears......so for that and many other reasons, I'd much rather do everything possible to discourage a bear.

And, bear in mind (lame pun) that the discouragement needs to start the VERY first time you meet a particular bruin. Once they are habituated, they are probably going to get into trouble, which usually means a dead bear.

But, stay away from the Pyros, unless you're in REALLY wet country, and even then.....I wouldn't use them.

MTV

Attachments

• side saddle.png
    side saddle.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 172
  • side saddle.png
    side saddle.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Oh, yeah....one more thing on the pyrotechnic rounds: They are REALLY corrosive to your shotgun's barrel. I've also had them go off IN the barrel, I've had them jam in the barrel, etc.

MTV

I was thinking about Steve's geese. Anyone who spends any time around Lake Hood in summer is used to hearing bangers. Fish and Wildlife shoots lots and lots of them.

I was thinking about Steve's geese. Anyone who spends any time around Lake Hood in summer is used to hearing bangers. Fish and Wildlife shoots lots and lots of them.

Yes, and the geese get used to them pretty quickly too. I spent more time than I care to think about scaring, or trying to scare, geese and sandhill cranes out of crops in the lower 48. The bangers do work, for a while. When the birds realize they're just noise, no bite, they pretty much start ignoring them.

But, they are worth a try.....I just wouldn't put them through a "good" shotgun, though.

MTV

Black_bird.jpg
Another way for protection:) Like Mike said be careful if dry.

Attachments

• Black_bird.jpg
    Black_bird.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,297
NPS kills wounded bear

Article below is food for thought.
For now, I'll shoot to kill if the bear aggresses my family. As for harassment techniques, I'd consider it if I had the training and know-how to evaluate when it's appropriate. Until then, I'll have +P+ 45-70 rounds in the lever gun or regular slugs in the 12 ga. when in bear areas and others are relying on me to protect them.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/NPS-kills-wounded-bear--388881892.html

Ever try these?

960ed194dc3aa13bb223d4eb6c2aa3fe.jpg

I never used those....too much risk of one of the pellets hitting an eye, or??? Years ago, before Bean bag rounds came out, we did use rubber slugs. I know of at least one incident where a rubber slug penetrated a black bears abdominal cavity and the bear had to be killed. The person who shot that bear apparently couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

That said, bean bags are a lot less likely to penetrate. And keep in mind that all of this stuff was originally developed for crowd control......ie: For use on humans.

Great care has to be used, but I feel that deterrents can be effective in preventing unnecessary Bear killings.

If a a police officer is so incompetent that he actually loads a gun with a slug thinking it’s non lethal, I For one don’t want him walking around my community armed with ANY weapon.

MTV

The short barrel, pistol grip, single shot...12 gauge are very popular in Venezuela. A Vigilantes standard weapon you could say.... vigilantes are private security. The picture of the shotgun and shells reminded me.... the big difference between here and there... here the shells are usable, as in able to be used right away. In Venezuela...only the shell in the chamber was usable.....the extra rounds required a knife to use. Everyone used masking tape to secure the shells to the side of the receiver. So...plenty of time to decide..slug or BB’s. More to the story...just in a sharing mood this AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never used those....too much risk of one of the pellets hitting an eye, or??? Years ago, before Bean bag rounds came out, we did use rubber slugs. I know of at least one incident where a rubber slug penetrated a black bears abdominal cavity and the bear had to be killed. The person who shot that bear apparently couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

That said, bean bags are a lot less likely to penetrate. And keep in mind that all of this stuff was originally developed for crowd control......ie: For use on humans.

Great care has to be used, but I feel that deterrents can be effective in preventing unnecessary Bear killings.

If a a police officer is so incompetent that he actually loads a gun with a slug thinking it’s non lethal, I For one don’t want him walking around my community armed with ANY weapon.

MTV

Excellent points. I'm retired from US Army BRL at APG, Md. I designed the 40mm rubber/foam round for the M203 back in the "Blackhawk down" days. I recall we went round and round with the lawyer types just trying to name all the "less than lethal" stuff being developed. They are certainly NOT "non lethal" ! The army really liked the 40mm round because if it didn't work one could move back to the rear trigger and have 30 lethal rounds as needed.....

Jack

A Far Side approach...

26993660_10213551198348221_3227215141368871788_n.jpg

Attachments

• 26993660_10213551198348221_3227215141368871788_n.jpg
    26993660_10213551198348221_3227215141368871788_n.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,512
People like quick and easy solutions to problems, the teacher/jogger who was eaten after presenting the 'running prey' challenge to the Brownie down at the village airport, hit the bear hard with pepper spray. The bear was observed the next day rolling in the pepper spray spot! They found what little was left of the teacher off in the bushes. So much for quick and easy solutions...

Back