• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA Master Pilot Awards

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
We (MN Pilots Assn) learned in the spring that the FAA powers that be in Washington eliminated funding for the plaques that have traditionally been given to those who are awarded the "Orville and Wilbur Wright" Master Pilot Award. I was disbelieving, but sure enough, a simple piece of paper was awarded to four recipients at our 2017 Great MN Aviation Gathering.

That simply would not do...

We have subsequently worked with Kevin Morris, our Minneapolis FSDO FAAST leader, to fund these awards and return to the really nice plaques. Here is an example of two that were given to the person who taught me mountain flying, Tuck Barrett, of Great Falls MT, and to another dear friend, Ed Erickson, of Minneapolis MN:

IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_1849cropped.jpg
I have not seen smiles on Tuck's face nor Ed's face like they had when they received these awards. We are so pleased to keep this tradition going.

I would encourage you, in your State's, to see what the status is there. This is such an honor, and one that warmed the souls of my two dear friends. Keep it going.

Randy the Rubble Rouser

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1849cropped.jpg
    IMG_1849cropped.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 275
Oh, yeah, we have made the presentations of these awards a BIG DEAL at our Great Minnesota Aviation Gatherings. Let me know if I can be of help in getting this to happen at your events, as well.

Randy

They just shook my hand. They offered to do a ceremony; I turned them down. All you have to do is live long enough and avoid getting busted.

Four guys here were presented the award last month. We were told one of our FSDO inspectors decided to make those plaques himself when funding was cut. An FAA rep doing a good thing.

Clayton Harper, one of our very own, was awarded this recently. I would bet there are more than just a few here who have been so honored.

Bob, if you lived in Minnesota we would trick you into showing up at our event (under some guise) and we would hog tie you and drag you up to receive the award!!!

This award is really a big deal, in that it is an honor that really comes from your colleagues in flight. Sure, there are some who may be more deserving than others, but to simply have been flying for 50 years puts you in an elite class.

The point of this thread is to encourage you to see what the status is in your state, and to know that you can do something about it.

Randy

December 21, 1967 is when I solo’d. So I guess I’m eleigble soon (still alive and no screw ups). There is no organization here but occasionally someone will nominate a person. I’m not lobbying but if it happens I’ll appreciate it.

They just awarded Gary Dumond here in Maine, he was Warden Pilot for Inland Fish & Game for 20 odd years! He would certainly qualify in every way, glad to see the FAA
recognized his accomplishments,after spending his lifetime, at bush flying.

Last edited:
With everyone having a cell camera anymore I think this award will run out of qualified pilots ;-)

Glenn

It is straightforward, but you have to apply for it - and I am not sure, since I am confusing it with the mountain of work required for Master CFI (the fee is more than you save on insurance for that), but you may have to provide references.

I forgot to look - if they gave me a plaque, it would be right next to my ALPA plaque, which is quite nice, considering.

Oh - and I agree: it is a whole lot easier to get in trouble now than it used to be. If they are not watching you, they will be soon. I just visited one of our country airports - cameras everywhere. Bathrooms locked. No driving on the ramp. Apparently restrictions on which IA you are allowed to use. So far, giving the Nazi salute as you enter is still not required.

I received the MPA in August this year. Once FSDO got their act together, it was seamless. I submitted the paperwork in Sept 2016; they lost it. So I took the original package and put a cover letter on it and sent it back in March this year. It went thru immediately with the help of a fellow QB that worked in SAT for a period of time. FSDO had a walnut plaque and wanted to award it at a meeting of the San Antonio General Aviation Pilots Assn. I asked if they could transfer the award to Juneau and have them do it while I was there fishing. They did and some very nice folks in Juneau FSDO came to a dinner we were having, made a speech, and handed me the plaque.

I think it's still in the bag I brought back from Juneau.

I finally remembered to look. It is indeed a metal plaque, probably anodized aluminum with a coating of some sort. Memory fades, but I think it came with an imitation walnut base - I pitched that, and attached the thing on the hangar wall next to the bronze ALPA plaque. The Master thing is deteriorating rapidly, with corrosion under the clear coat.

The ALPA plaque is quite elegant. I value them both for what they stand for. Nothing is forever; they will go to the dump with my hangar when our leases end.

"...to the dump with my hangar..."

I don't think so. Plans are already being readied for the Bob Turner/Steve Johnson/Steve Eaton/George Campbell/Cajun Joe/David Jaranson/Bill Rusk/etc, etc...Supercub.org Aviation Museum. Don't sell yourself short, Bob.

Randy the Dreamer

Ha! My Cub will be worn out, as will I - I will be 91 when the city assumes ownership of my hangars. But the engine will be good - two successful hours on the Stroker, and it goes straight up!

What I need is some kid who will appreciate all the spare parts - dozens of push rods, nuts and bolts all over the place, good grief. And no filing system!

Alan, excellent point regarding Master Mechanic Award!

Here's the information for nominating someone for the Master Pilot Award:

1. Master Pilot Award Information Guide

2. Charles Taylor Application...for Master Mechanic Award

3. CT Nomination Form...for Master Mechanic Award

There you have 'em, folks! I hope you will make use of these tools. Really important!

Randy

p.s. A request is in to SJ to see what I've done incorrectly in uploading the pdf's. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachments

• Charles Taylor Application.pdf
    763.8 KB · Views: 147
  • CT Nomination Form.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Master Pilot Award Information Guide.pdf
    734.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
It does not indicate whether one can claim maintenance experience by simply maintaining a couple of airplanes. I might try it, but I won't be eligible for another decade. I have been maintaining my own aircraft since 1962, but did not get certificated until the mid 1970s.

Back