Thread: FAA Master Pilot Awards

Post Thanks / Like

FAA Master Pilot Awards

We (MN Pilots Assn) learned in the spring that the FAA powers that be in Washington eliminated funding for the plaques that have traditionally been given to those who are awarded the "Orville and Wilbur Wright" Master Pilot Award. I was disbelieving, but sure enough, a simple piece of paper was awarded to four recipients at our 2017 Great MN Aviation Gathering.

That simply would not do...

We have subsequently worked with Kevin Morris, our Minneapolis FSDO FAAST leader, to fund these awards and return to the really nice plaques. Here is an example of two that were given to the person who taught me mountain flying, Tuck Barrett, of Great Falls MT, and to another dear friend, Ed Erickson, of Minneapolis MN:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	33536
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1849cropped.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	33537
    I have not seen smiles on Tuck's face nor Ed's face like they had when they received these awards. We are so pleased to keep this tradition going.

I would encourage you, in your State's, to see what the status is there. This is such an honor, and one that warmed the souls of my two dear friends. Keep it going.

Randy the Rubble Rouser

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yeah, we have made the presentations of these awards a BIG DEAL at our Great Minnesota Aviation Gatherings. Let me know if I can be of help in getting this to happen at your events, as well.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Randy!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They just shook my hand. They offered to do a ceremony; I turned them down. All you have to do is live long enough and avoid getting busted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    They just shook my hand. They offered to do a ceremony; I turned them down. All you have to do is live long enough and avoid getting busted.
    Bob
    You make that sound easy

Rich
    Likes WanaBNACub, Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Four guys here were presented the award last month. We were told one of our FSDO inspectors decided to make those plaques himself when funding was cut. An FAA rep doing a good thing.
    Likes WindOnHisNose, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clayton Harper, one of our very own, was awarded this recently. I would bet there are more than just a few here who have been so honored.

Bob, if you lived in Minnesota we would trick you into showing up at our event (under some guise) and we would hog tie you and drag you up to receive the award!!!

This award is really a big deal, in that it is an honor that really comes from your colleagues in flight. Sure, there are some who may be more deserving than others, but to simply have been flying for 50 years puts you in an elite class.

The point of this thread is to encourage you to see what the status is in your state, and to know that you can do something about it.

Randy
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    December 21, 1967 is when I solo’d. So I guess I’m eleigble soon (still alive and no screw ups). There is no organization here but occasionally someone will nominate a person. I’m not lobbying but if it happens I’ll appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    They just awarded Gary Dumond here in Maine, he was Warden Pilot for Inland Fish & Game for 20 odd years! He would certainly qualify in every way, glad to see the FAA
    recognized his accomplishments,after spending his lifetime, at bush flying.
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 11-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With everyone having a cell camera anymore I think this award will run out of qualified pilots

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Steve Pierce, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is straightforward, but you have to apply for it - and I am not sure, since I am confusing it with the mountain of work required for Master CFI (the fee is more than you save on insurance for that), but you may have to provide references.

I forgot to look - if they gave me a plaque, it would be right next to my ALPA plaque, which is quite nice, considering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh - and I agree: it is a whole lot easier to get in trouble now than it used to be. If they are not watching you, they will be soon. I just visited one of our country airports - cameras everywhere. Bathrooms locked. No driving on the ramp. Apparently restrictions on which IA you are allowed to use. So far, giving the Nazi salute as you enter is still not required.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the MPA in August this year. Once FSDO got their act together, it was seamless. I submitted the paperwork in Sept 2016; they lost it. So I took the original package and put a cover letter on it and sent it back in March this year. It went thru immediately with the help of a fellow QB that worked in SAT for a period of time. FSDO had a walnut plaque and wanted to award it at a meeting of the San Antonio General Aviation Pilots Assn. I asked if they could transfer the award to Juneau and have them do it while I was there fishing. They did and some very nice folks in Juneau FSDO came to a dinner we were having, made a speech, and handed me the plaque.

I think it's still in the bag I brought back from Juneau.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally remembered to look. It is indeed a metal plaque, probably anodized aluminum with a coating of some sort. Memory fades, but I think it came with an imitation walnut base - I pitched that, and attached the thing on the hangar wall next to the bronze ALPA plaque. The Master thing is deteriorating rapidly, with corrosion under the clear coat.

The ALPA plaque is quite elegant. I value them both for what they stand for. Nothing is forever; they will go to the dump with my hangar when our leases end.
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "...to the dump with my hangar..."

I don't think so. Plans are already being readied for the Bob Turner/Steve Johnson/Steve Eaton/George Campbell/Cajun Joe/David Jaranson/Bill Rusk/etc, etc...Supercub.org Aviation Museum. Don't sell yourself short, Bob.

Randy the Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! My Cub will be worn out, as will I - I will be 91 when the city assumes ownership of my hangars. But the engine will be good - two successful hours on the Stroker, and it goes straight up!

What I need is some kid who will appreciate all the spare parts - dozens of push rods, nuts and bolts all over the place, good grief. And no filing system!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's also a master mechanic award. I just did a recommendation for a guy a few weeks ago.

https://www.faasafety.gov/content/mastermechanic/

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan, excellent point regarding Master Mechanic Award!

Here's the information for nominating someone for the Master Pilot Award:

1. Master Pilot Award Information Guide

2. Charles Taylor Application...for Master Mechanic Award

3. CT Nomination Form...for Master Mechanic Award

There you have 'em, folks! I hope you will make use of these tools. Really important!

Randy

p.s. A request is in to SJ to see what I've done incorrectly in uploading the pdf's. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SJ; 11-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Master Pilot Award Information Guide

Master Pilot Award Information Guide.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It does not indicate whether one can claim maintenance experience by simply maintaining a couple of airplanes. I might try it, but I won't be eligible for another decade. I have been maintaining my own aircraft since 1962, but did not get certificated until the mid 1970s.