• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PPonk ID

What do you mean when you say "blanks"?
If I was disconnecting some of the primer lines, I would remove the tubing and install a plug at the distributor manifold.
Some people might go the quick and dirty route, and just pinch the tubing flat at either end.

Sorry it's been a few days. But this afternoon I pulled the nozzle out from number three cylinder.

Note the six way fuel priming distribution block. And in particular the line running to number three cylinder.

IMG_3250.jpg

And when the nozzle is pulled out you can see it's been plugged. The same with number 4 cylinder. I know of this because recently I put six overhualed cylinders on the engine.

But why? I have no idea.

IMG_3253.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 181
I think I'd clean those out if it was me.
As far as "so you don't flood ALL the cylinders", that seems like a poor reason.
It's all about technique.

FWIW the Lyc 320 in my old C150/150 was primed at all cylinders.

Not square on, but the one on the left has a big hole through it. Four primming nozzles are like this.

The one in the centre has a blank that sits proud. To be sure I filed the with a points file.

The one on the right, has a blank that sits inwards. I poked around it with a pick and it's blank.

I don't have access to 'Hoppe's gun wash' but instead soaked the two blanks in acetone and then blew them off with acetion in a spray gun. (I'll try to locate some Hoppe's when next in the big town)

I have no idea why two are blanked, and why they're blanked with different shaped plugs.

But there it is. The six way distribution block does not necessarily mean all are being primed.

IMG_3843.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 293
Not square on, but the one on the left has a big hole through it. Four primming nozzles are like this.

The one in the centre has a blank that sits proud. To be sure I filed the with a points file.

The one on the right, has a blank that sits inwards. I poked around it with a pick and it's blank.

I don't have access to 'Hoppe's gun wash' but instead soaked the two blanks in acetone and then blew them off with acetion in a spray gun. (I'll try to locate some Hoppe's when next in the big town)

I have no idea why two are blanked, and why they're blanked with different shaped plugs.

But there it is. The six way distribution block does not necessarily mean all are being primed.

View attachment 33765

only the center one MIGHT be a primer.....

it should have a very small hole only.... it needs to atomize the fuel some not just dump it in...

left one is just a fitting, or it lost it sodered in guts...

you need to go shopping or modify them

Last edited:
Thanks Mike.

AN4022-1

Six ordered now. (I was thinking the one on the left is a big hole, but knew no better)

I had a PPONK in an L-19 Bird Dog. It was made from a TSIO 520, with the blower removed, hence the lower compression ratio. Other wise they're built up from a modified O-470. The biggest problem is getting enough fuel to the cylinders to keep them cool with the MA4-5. This engine would be a lot better off with injection. Since we used it for banner towing, our cylinder issues could heave been the application, and/or more than one pilot flying the plane. When a pilot asked me how much they should have leaned flying at 500 feet, I became apoplectic. (I think that means nuts)

Here's mine, with Dane Wagner's Leading Edge exhaust. Great combination, especially when paired to a light airframe.
Steve Pierce: Can you explain your fuel line setup? It looks like you have a hose from the gascolator to a fitting on the lower right side of the firewall, thence to the carburetor.
Pictures would be appreciated, if not causing problems with the thread.
Also: How are you securing the lower part of the crankcase vent tube? Again, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Piloto

Attachments

• TRNs iPhone thru 07.2014 274.jpg
    TRNs iPhone thru 07.2014 274.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 114
.....Steve Pierce: Can you explain your fuel line setup? It looks like you have a hose from the gascolator to a fitting on the lower right side of the firewall, thence to the carburetor......

Looks to me like a "cube" flow-meter for a fuel flow gauge.

This picture might help.
100_5274.JPG

Fuel flow transducer installed by previous mechanic on the firewall.
100_5276.JPG

Attachments

• 100_5274.JPG
    100_5274.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_5276.JPG
    100_5276.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 533
How many people get TBO on any Continental?

Just passed TBO (1500 hours) last month with my 470K.
Far as I can see, it's only had one jug off (by me, about 2 years ago).
Still running strong, and I'll continue to let it do so.
I do have an overhaul in the back of my mind, so when the time comes hopefully it won't catch me flat-footed.

Looking at this photo, I see that it's an early model 180 (53-55), with the stock dual exhaust converted to 4 bolt flanges, like mine.
Also like mine, looking closely, it appears to have retained the original 470A/J engine mount, which utilizes the vertical style Lord rubber mounts.
So like mine, when it was converted, the 470K's mount legs were unbolted from the engine case and the old mount legs off the A or J engine were installed.
I'm not too wild about that aspect of my airplane, those early style Lord mounts tend to sag and distort in pretty short order.
Down the road a ways, when it's time for an overhaul,
I plan on installing a later-model engine mount and having those mount legs on my K engine replaced with the proper ones that use the later style flat rubbers.

Does anyone else here with a 53-55 C180 with a K or later engine have this same mount set-up?

Hotrod, I have the same original engine mount. Also, I put a Knisley dual exhaust ( modified Beech K) on since it has bigger tubing and lost all the clamps. Since I put the two blade MT prop on. it doesn't seem to be sagging after quite a few years.

I guess maybe the early mount /later engine combination is more common than I thought.
What I really want to know is who has a 53-55 180 with a K or later engine and the proper K or later mount?
I'd like to swap to the later mount & mount legs at overhaul time, but want tp make sure that the cowl and everything else will still fit properly.
Proper fit inside the cowl etc might be at least part of the reason why some of these early 180's kept the early mount when swapping to the later engine.

Hi Eric,
There is actually a 'tweener mount. It came on 1 year ? of the early ships, so it bolts on to the early airframe, but takes the later biscuits, and more importantly it has the crossmember on the correct side of the intake. That is the fly in the ointment when trying to use a later style mount on an early ship. I have that combination ('53 model, Pponk'd, sitting on late 'legs' and biscuits). As I recall AWI has the jig for that mount and will rebuild yours accordingly. And if IIRC it is called a 'K' mount. If you still want a pic shoot me an email and I will see what I have or take what you need.

Take care, Rob

Thanks, Rob, email or PM to follow.
Interestingly, my original mount (which I replaced a couple years ago due to a broken tube)
had a clamp-on crossmember, which you could adjust to wherever you needed it.
Don't recall if the replacement mount I bought had this feature, or if the crossmember is welded in place.

Interesting about the clamp on cross tube. My mount is so old it was gas welded----all of it. Pretty sure the tubing structure came out of the same jig as 1956 but just different Lord mount and engine legs.

Back