• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WTH? It's electrical but not in an airplane..

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Our new to us home has this interesting little setup. Maybe it powers the house next door? There is no sump pump, and the water main is on the other wall... Ideas? I've got a toner / finder I can put on it, but I thought it would be more fun to guess first...

wtf.jpg

Attachments

• wtf.jpg
    wtf.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 869
SJ, in keeping with forum guidelines about aviation-related posts, are you sure it isn't a pre-heat cord for the secret Supercub hangar next to the house :lol:?

Thanks. cubscout

Can you blow through the pipe? Can you find the other end? It looks like a hillbilly installation for a standby generator. The pipe would be for exhaust.

I added a wire like that at my old house. After a breakin attempt while we were home, I put a steel grate outside the door with the white wire attached. The black wire went to the doorknob. Plug it in when we weren't home. I didn't think it would kill anybody but my wife nagged until I did away with it. Where is your back door? jrh

Didn't this "new to you" home get a home inspection? How did an inspector miss that?

No, he scratched his head too. We did buy the house "as is" and is really was "as is" if you get my drift :yikez: But, it already feels like home even though it is 80% less space than the last place!

sj

I had something like that in a house I bought. It ran outside to an underground sump pump which lifted water to a Mickey Mouse French Drain. It had been covered over and abandoned.

I had something like that in a house I bought. It ran outside to an underground sump pump which lifted water to a Mickey Mouse French Drain. It had been covered over and abandoned.

Hmmm interesting.... you might be on to something

sj

Do a resistance check with an ohm meter. If you get an exact number ( 10 ohms, 67 ohms, etc) it's heat tape. If you get a much lower or higher number (1.3 ohms, 13,019 ohms, etc) it's probably a motor. If it's wide open, coil it up and ignore it.

Web

Looks like a prank, you sure it’s not just stuck in the wall to make you go WTH? Is there a receiptical anywhere near to have plugged that into.

if not it looks like maybe thee was something installed there, maybe an electric hydronic heat system, water softener, perhaps a beer cooler with remote tap, or just something nefarious...

Do a resistance check with an ohm meter. If you get an exact number ( 10 ohms, 67 ohms, etc) it's heat tape. If you get a much lower or higher number (1.3 ohms, 13,019 ohms, etc) it's probably a motor. If it's wide open, coil it up and ignore it.

Web

So, it jumps around between about 40 - 100ohms...

Sounds like a heat tape with crusty connections.

Go ahead. Plug it in and tell us what happens! lol

Web

What was the water line for? That drop was put there for a reason. Maybe related?

I agree, water was either coming in or going out and hooked up to house supply. Is there a well head out on your lawn? Plug it in, if you hear someone scream unplug it.
Any evidence of an old bathroom down there? Digester toilet?

Glenn

It is possible that is an old natural gas line as they are that larger size, but the water is a 3/4" and comes in the other wall and appears to have always done so, but it does not explain the romex. The house was built in 60 so it is not that old - comparatively anyway.

sj

That's to plug in the runway lights.

You did say you're putting in a grass strip, right....?

Capture.JPG

Not much room for a runway... unless it was a seaplane base and enough seaplane hi jinks has occurred over the years that it is no longer "forgiven".

The wall that pipe is on is on the left side of the house.

sj

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 747
Back