Views: 878
Size:  76.4 KB
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to have options!

Post Thanks / Like
    So can I install a set of TSO'd C26d wheels on my certified Super Cub legally?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone on here a dealer, I am interested. PM me please
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    I like them, if someone has an in i am in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested as well. TSO? TCDS? STC? WTF??
    It takes a better mind than mine.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Sure. Catto props can also be installed using TSO C29d
    Likes nightflyer liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only, initial armchair engineer issue that pops out to me, is the "spokes" are perpendicular... they probably need to be slanted to offset? braking action, tire spin-up not so sever.... interesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mud and ice collectors. I’d like a close-up of the brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Mud and ice collectors. I’d like a close-up of the brakes.
    Good point, but a piece of .016 or .020 and some silicone would seal it right up.

How about an STC for a Maule???
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Floating disc?​ Cleveland abandoned that idea decades ago. The discs used to chatter and wear out the wheels, eventually needing replacement. Put them on our planes, run them through the sand bars adding grit to the mix. I wonder how they'll stand up over time? The big airplanes use a multiple disc assembly which tends to stabilize itself. I'll stick with the fixed disc Clevelands or Groves, thanks.
    N1PA
    Likes d.grimm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    Sure. Catto props can also be installed using TSO C29d
    Yea, there are outlaws amongst us.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI, that price is per wheel.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Versus $1024.28 per ABI wheel with brake disc but you use your existing caliper. be interesting to hear some PIREPs. Lower weight is nice, curious about braking ability and longevity.
    http://www.airframesalaska.com/10-x-.../abi-10650.htm
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    These wheels and brakes are not TSO'd yet so they are available for Experimental cubs only !

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys might want to talk to the Italian Connection - Marco Bulgheroni - Pretty sure he and his friends all use Beringer 6" wheels, but perhaps some are moving to the 10".
    It appears they all use the floating disc brakes from Beringer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Ragnaccio/m...2686311&type=3

They also offer a shock style landing gear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozhqj5pWBqY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BERINGER View Post
    These wheels and brakes are not TSO'd yet so they are available for Experimental cubs only !
    Thanks, I see now it says they meet the TSO but I guess it has not been granted yet. Are you going to seek a TSO on them? STC as well? Appreciate the information.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128 View Post
    Anyone on here a dealer, I am interested. PM me please
    We have many dealers including Aircraft Spruce:
    http://www.beringer-aero.com/en/resellers.htm
    However as these are new products with special introductory price we are selling direct, you can email us at us.sales@beringer-aero-usa.com (BERINGER USA) or sales@beringer-aero.com (Headquarters)
    Thank you!
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We will TSO AND STC them yes but not before mid 2018, we are really focusing on the STC for the gear and 6'' wheels right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most probably don't know this but I was the first to put a 35" ABW on small airplane. At the time there were no wheels that would work so I machined my own, I eventually machined at least 10 sets for others from billet.

The price they are asking for the set up is very good, they can't be making much of a profit at that price.

My wheels where heavy except for a few sets I made for myself that I went crazy taking out weight. I have put my light weight wheels through a lot over the years and never had one fail. I don't care for the spokes for some of the reasons already stated and I don't think it is required to get the wheel light weight.

My wheel weighs 7 lbs not including bearings or bolts, it would be interesting to know how much that wheel weighs without hardware, what the weight savings is carving out the spokes. I like the solid face of my wheels.

I am not looking to machine wheels for anyone so this is not an advertisement for me to make billet wheels. It is a lot of work carving out all that aluminum, if I remember right it was around 55 pounds of chips per wheel half or over 220 pounds per set.

It would be nice to have a larger brake disc, I would run a set if they want to comp a set for testing. Maybe the spokes would have no issues with sand and dirt getting into them.

Greg
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Floating disc?​ Cleveland abandoned that idea decades ago.....
    Hard to tell from the photos but to me the discs don't look like they're floating, they appear to be bolted.
    They do index into the wheels similar to the old floating Goodyear brakes which clipped into the wheel, ala 1940's Cessnas--
    does anyone else remember walking around all hunched over looking for someone's clips that popped out?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    the only, initial armchair engineer issue that pops out to me, is the "spokes" are perpendicular... they probably need to be slanted to offset? braking action, tire spin-up not so sever.... interesting...
    The brake disk is to the rim of the wheel. The only rotational torque the spokes see is the drag of the wheel bearing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Hard to tell from the photos but to me the discs don't look like they're floating, they appear to be bolted.
    They do index into the wheels similar to the old floating Goodyear brakes which clipped into the wheel, ala 1940's Cessnas--
    does anyone else remember walking around all hunched over looking for someone's clips that popped out?
    You are right they were Goodyears. It was so long ago that this idea was abandoned that I forgot who it was. The rims were pounded into expanding, the discs rattled, the retaining clips fell out and when the pucks wore down they fell out.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, Goodyear’s! Those were on my 170 when I bought it in the 70’s.... I have some great stories because of those brakes, like landing on the old runway 33 at Merrill, no right brake so I had to do a left 270 to exit the runway.... tower said it was an acceptable method to exit, but most people just do a 90 to the right!
    Likes super stol, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    Most probably don't know this but I was the first to put a 35" ABW on small airplane. At the time there were no wheels that would work so I machined my own, I eventually machined at least 10 sets for others from billet.

The price they are asking for the set up is very good, they can't be making much of a profit at that price.

My wheels where heavy except for a few sets I made for myself that I went crazy taking out weight. I have put my light weight wheels through a lot over the years and never had one fail. I don't care for the spokes for some of the reasons already stated and I don't think it is required to get the wheel light weight.

My wheel weighs 7 lbs not including bearings or bolts, it would be interesting to know how much that wheel weighs without hardware, what the weight savings is carving out the spokes. I like the solid face of my wheels.

I am not looking to machine wheels for anyone so this is not an advertisement for me to make billet wheels. It is a lot of work carving out all that aluminum, if I remember right it was around 55 pounds of chips per wheel half or over 220 pounds per set.

It would be nice to have a larger brake disc, I would run a set if they want to comp a set for testing. Maybe the spokes would have no issues with sand and dirt getting into them.

Greg
    I remember your wheels Greg. Bill was building the tires for Beavers and had no wheels and you built yours. I had a guy that wanted 35s so bad. I had the field approval in the bag until the non-TSO'd wheel question came up.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Mauleguy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post

Greg
    I've got one of those. Top quailty work!

Sent from my SM-P900 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Mauleguy thanked for this post