• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to climb into front seat of Super Cub?

Gnuse

I know it must be age creeping in, but what is the easiest way to climb into the front seat of a Cub? I know there must be some secret code / handshake. It thought it was easy to climb into my J3, but that was years ago.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Just learned yesterday.

Stand on the tire; reach through the window and grab the bar; hike your butt onto the door frame; lean back to give yourself room; then swing your legs in past the window frame; slide in and down. Reverse to exit.

Depends on Tires, Gear length, Step position, Lower panel interference, and Pilot leg length/flexibility. Lots of gear has the rough step tape on the forward gear leg to help getting in or out. I have 31" ties and 3" extended gear. I usually load from the rear. Right foot on back of long step, grab rear door frame and strut. Swing left leg through to left side of stick and Grab overhead tube with left hand sit left butt on lower rear door frame (looks like I am going to fall out of plane). Slide right leg in partway( carefull not to kick panel with bunny boot:oops:). Now grab overhead with both hands and slide in adjust as needed. If long step is gone I can use lower gear front lower leg tape and do the swing around method to get butt onto rear door frame. I have a long leg buddy that has the front swing around down to an art. Jaywalker has to key for not so nimble guys, sit on door frame and lean back.
DENNY

Stock tires and gear. I guess I found it difficult because of the step, which is likely used to get into the back seat. Thanks for these
suggestions.

The key is to put your butt as far to the aft end of the door frame as possible. Put both feet in. Then do a pull up from the overhead X brace. Nothing to it when you use the right technique.

Bill

This all makes great sense! I think I will be able to do this without fear of breaking something. It would have helped if I had gone and seen someone else get in.

It does take some practice. The younger you are when you start, the better. I started at 21, and 55 years later I still do it better than most. Wait 'till Jim C chimes in - he starts about ten feet away, and at the three foot point hollers "heeyahh", whilst executing an airborne somersault, gently cushioning his landing with a clenched fist, or something.

The key is to put your butt as far to the aft end of the door frame as possible. Put both feet in. Then do a pull up from the overhead X brace. Nothing to it when you use the right technique.

Bill

That's how I do it. I still say an 18 is easier to board (front seat) than a 12.

That's how I do it. I still say an 18 is easier to board (front seat) than a 12.

I can get in and out of a -12 in about 3 seconds. Been doing in mine 40 years. I struggle like a contortionist trying to get in an -18 it’s made grown men cry in laughter. It’s all what you get used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We need some brave souls to make a few u-tube videos; and then post them here in a "how to column"

I was told early on that you could tell how much cub time a pilot had by how he climbed into the airplane.....

I have also determined through experience that ease of entry is directly proportional to waist size.

Bill
I agree Bill, I'm 70 yrs old, been doing it your way for many decades, and it works well for me and always has. Still have to show a youngster how to do it once in a while. I don't even think about it, just slide in and go.

I load from the front side of the wing. Grab the cross brace near the door with my right hand, right foot on the tire or gear I am facing the rear of the plane. Left foot up and in as I turn to put my butt on the rear doorsill. Right foot in, slide forward and settle. I am 6 foot 4, takes me about 2 seconds to get in.

Bill
and if your back is in the shape mine is on cold days you have to grab your pant leg to help your left leg bend so it will go in.

Put your left foot in,Your left foot out,Your left foot in
And shake it all about
You do the supercub pokey And turn yourself around

Now put your right foot in,Your right foot out
Right foot in
Then you shake it all about
And then you do the supercub pokey
Turn yourself around,That's what it's all about

You put your head in,You put your head out
Put your head in And bang it all about
Do the supercub pokey
And turn yourself around, And take care not to fall out. :wink:

Easiest way is to: get in and have someone build the cub around you :p. But i put my butt on the door frame and swing both legs in. Same getting out. Little bit harder to do if back seat is loaded. Id say to find your own technique, have someone sit in back seat and scream "fire fire". Probably find what works for you fairly quickly.

S2D would be the guy to videotape for YouTube...He makes it look easy.
Must come from being a bronc rider

and if your back is in the shape mine is on cold days you have to grab your pant leg to help your left leg bend so it will go in.

A great reason to wear a kilt- no restriction in the inseam!

If you are lucky enough to have a cute date loaded first, the slide to the back of the door frame offers a great opportunity for a quick smooch, and return slap, prior to feet entering the door and sliding forward. Choose your target well8)

You have to be extremely careful not to amputate the knobs on the radio when you swing the legs in.....why I don't let little kids sit in the front seat; they tend to kick, as well....

Thanks again for all of the replies.

I feel like I have not only had my question answered, but have also been initiated into Supercub.org! :smile:

S2D would be the guy to videotape for YouTube...He makes it look easy.
Must come from being a bronc rider

I use the same method as Bill Rusk. Only problem if you have a skinny butt without much meat, I got in my cub one morning and thought someone shoved an ice pick up my arse. Hurt like hell for about a day. Finally went to the doctor to have it removed. They figured out I pinched a nerve. So now I'm extra careful how much pressure I put on that skinny cheek !!!!

"Id say to find your own technique, have someone sit in back seat and scream "fire fire".

it's all just a question of the proper motivation.

Back