• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADSB Awakening; Am I paranoid?

So how do the big boys hide their info. When working for Kiewit I tried tracking the company jets a couple times and always get this, N341K - KIEWIT ENGINEERING GROUP INC (OMAHA NE)

This aircraft (N341K) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator.

Can a lowly commoner like me hide my info as well? Will that no longer work with ADSB?

Yes you can, but not from the FAA, just from the public flight tracker feeds. Good luck with that and make sure you tip the line boy generously.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsid=13259

So how do the big boys hide their info. When working for Kiewit I tried tracking the company jets a couple times and always get this, N341K - KIEWIT ENGINEERING GROUP INC (OMAHA NE)

This aircraft (N341K) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator.

Can a lowly commoner like me hide my info as well? Will that no longer work with ADSB?
Yes you can, or could, request flight aware not report you.

Any system ripe for abuse WILL be abused.....

**I'm not getting rid of my Kt-76 just yet.........even though I got the Stratus xponder working today...

Last edited:
Stewart,

waaaaay too many targets “merging” on ATC radar as everyone lines up for that procedure. Resulting in gazillions of collision alerts.

MTV
Also the transponder radar target covers too much of the radar screen when there are large volumes of planes in close proximity. It will be difficult to keep traffic separated.

Stewart,

waaaaay too many targets “merging” on ATC radar as everyone lines up for that procedure. Resulting in gazillions of collision alerts.

MTV

I read that mode C update rates are too slow compared to ADS-B. It's easy to imagine that could be a problem on a controller's screen but that's all it is... imagination. If the mode C goes to standby I don't think the ADS-B pilots can see them. That's not a good solution for the pilots but perhaps it's the lesser of two evils?

I don’t think the transponder replies to any interrogation in standby mode-it doesn’t just inhibit the Mode c reply... if you squawk standby you are now a primary target only. They can also request you stop squawking altitude, like in the case of a discrepancy between mode c altitude and where your altimeter says you are....

I'd have to double check on the all-in-one ADS-B systems but a transponder will not put out a signal if in the standby mode. So if you have a UAT connected to a transponder and that transponder is in 'standby' then no signal is being transmitted.

Web

Not what I meant. In the Osh example, if guys turn their Mode C transponders to standby the TIS-B service, which translates non ADS-B transponders for ADS-B screens, won't paint those targets so the ADS-B screens won't see those planes that are in standby mode. It must have to do with traffic density on the controller's screen. I'm trying to understand the system.

Mode C transponders reply to every interrogation, so a clump of them can be a problem for ATC....mode S transponders can be group addressed or individually addressed, thus allowing for heavier traffic concentrations...HOWEVER, the longer digital formats crowd the frequency, and was one of the major considerations of allowing a parallel system on 978 MHz, namely: UAT.

I'd have to double check on the all-in-one ADS-B systems but a transponder will not put out a signal if in the standby mode. So if you have a UAT connected to a transponder and that transponder is in 'standby' then no signal is being transmitted.

Web

Doesn't mode S always reply, standby or not? (If a Mode S xpndr is installed)

FWIW, I sent a question to the FAA to clarify FAR 91.225f, the paragraph that states ADS-B equipped airplanes must always have the equipment on. I wondered whether that applied to ADS-B applicable airspace or any and all airspace. Their answer was short and direct.

If it’s equipped with ADS-B Out the equipment must be transmitting required data when moving on the surface and when flying.

What you do with the breaker is up to you but the rule doesn't provide us the option to turn the equipment off.

Doesn't mode S always reply, standby or not? (If a Mode S xpndr is installed)

If my memory serves me, if you are in standby no modes reply to interrogation. Later mode S transponders include technology that inhibits modes A and C on the ground (using automatic on ground logic) and allows limited mode S replies, hence the requirement to leave transponder on even while on the ground. You’ll see that requirement on numerous Airport diagrams and/or chart notes.

Last edited:
You know, all this data could be used for user fees in the future too. Send you a bill based upon your N-number and the number of hours flown in the ADS-B data they collect by satellite. Even if you don't use any services...

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! The primary reason for having the aircraft I'd not once, but twice in each data durst is so they no who's credit card to charge once user fees are enacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received one of those Cedar Rapids "tickets" (driving my wife's car that is registered to both of us). "Ticket" came in her name and she was pissed, ranting about points, etc. Well, I sat down and read the entire thing. Basically that first piece of paper is extortion. Pay it and you get no points, etc. on your license. If you don't pay it they move forward with the legal action, court date, points, the whole shebang.

I just paid it since we don't live in Iowa and I didn't feel like spending more money on a lawyer. Call me lazy but I was speeding so in the end I was going to pay something.

Jim

Seems that most of those traffic cams are private companies attempting to "help" the town reduce speed, and in exchange turn a profit.

https://youtu.be/pnUxdpSgsiA

Sent from my imitation glass cockpit using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Again, I never, ever thought I'd see the day when Red Barchetta started to come true.....

I wonder how long those of us on the lowly end will be exempt with our non-electric antiques. Or will they make us simply turn on our smartphone.

Back in the real world....

Using the information in the nbaa link posted earlier I reqested FAA Source Blocking. Two days later I received word that my request was processed. The blocking list is updated once a month my N number is in the queue. Pretty simple.

FAA blocking does not include traffic monitoring sites that pick up your transmissions directly from a receiver one of their volunteers has at their house......as I understand it....

FAA blocking does not include traffic monitoring sites that pick up your transmissions directly from a receiver one of their volunteers has at their house......as I understand it....
True, but at least for now, FlightAware is honoring the "blocking" requests and not publishing that data. Doesn't mean someone else will not come along and do so.

One other thing that was pointed out to me: Those noise complaints near airports are going to become a lot more specific pretty soon, because the folks who live there and gripe all the time are going to learn about ADS-B receivers, and use those to record the data of the airplanes flying nearby. It's up to us as pilots to ensure we "fly friendly" whenever possible. But I gotta admit, with my 100-HP 7ECA's anemic rate of climb, it's going to be harder to avoid overflying some of those noise-sensitive neighborhoods at lower-than-optimal (for noise purposes) altitudes.

Back in the real world....

Using the information in the nbaa link posted earlier I reqested FAA Source Blocking. Two days later I received word that my request was processed. The blocking list is updated once a month my N number is in the queue. Pretty simple.

I requested a Source Block. One of the advantages I see to the ADS-B system is SAR. If you're in coverage and are reported missing searchers will have an accurate Last Known Position to start the search. I wonder if a Source Block could hinder that?

Source block stops the FAA from sharing your info from public access tracking apps. I doubt they’ll block it from the MCC. Those guys have pretty amazing forensic radar analysis capability now, even without ads-b. The SAR potential is interesting. Probably no factor until an ELT is heard or overdue aircraft is reported.

Thank you Stewart! Just sent my FAA Source Blocking request. Easy peasy.

The way I read it, FAA Source Blocking removes the ADS-B data from the data stream they are porting to the ASDI vendors. The other block sends the data and leaves it up to the vendor not to republish it by their letters of agreement. I would think any SAR request would not be using third party software and/or request it from ADSI vendors (such as flightaware), but rather request the ADS-B data directly from the FAA.

Last edited:
I just read through the Garmin GDL 82 sales literature and came across this;[h=3]
Want to fly with anonymity?
[/h]There are private pilots. And then there are extra-private pilots who want to keep their identities off the traffic screens of other ADS-B “In” equipped aircraft (containing business competitors, perhaps?). GDL 82 and its UAT technology can allow for this extra measure of identity security with “Anonymous mode.” Most conventional ADS-B devices are designed to transmit your aircraft’s ICAO number — a discrete “hex code” assigned by FAA as part of your aircraft’s certificate of registration. If you’re flying VFR, however, you can have GDL 82 set to mask your aircraft’s ID from being transmitted to other receivers whenever your transponder’s squawk code is set to 1200. ATC can still track you with ADS-B precision. But your GDL 82 simply won’t transmit your aircraft’s N-number to other pilots in the airspace.

So if I understand correctly, you can Source block and the FAA won't share your info then run your GDL 82 in Anonymous Mode and the ADSB won't tattle on you. So at least the hunting & fishing competition and random radio geek with criminal intent won't know know your every move. You'd still be on the hook for potential user fees, taxes, and illegal activity dings though.

Back