• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADSB Awakening; Am I paranoid?

What sort of receiver - antenna, radar, satellite, atc guy with foil hat.. - actually picks up signal from my ADSB equipped transponder?
If I'm in the radar/radio shadow of a hill is my transponder still being picked up, will my crumb trail stop and then restart?
or does my transponder save my track and rat me out when my signal is being received again?

There are lots of legit areas I fly with no radar or radio coverage, I'm assuming I could create even more by turning my xponder to stby ?

The FAA's ADS-B ground stations receive and relay your position data, and there are MANY of them out there, with the intent of providing 100% coverage of the country. At low altitudes, you might not be within range, but above 1000 feet or so, the coverage is pretty impressive. Search "ADS-B Coverage" for a link to the FAA's web site that shows their official ground stations.

But in addition to the FAA stations, anyone with a Stratux (or similar) can create their own ground station and feed the data to FlightAware and others. If they're within range of your ADS-B OUT equipment, you're "on the map".

But if they do lose you, then pick you back up, it's up to the software drawing the course track to determine how they handle the interruption. I suspect most will just connect the "open" area with a straight line between the dots...

That doesn't account for air to air identification, which would be really great if there weren't planes flying without ADS-B. As it is the traffic mode is a partial picture at best. Like flying with terrain alerts that only warn you about half the obstacles.

I don't think my Garmin GTX23ES can be set on standby. My user manual says it has automatic standby mode, which I took to mean it goes into standby when not in motion. I'm not positive about that part. Anyone out there with an ES transponder who's willing to comment? I have a dedicated breaker for the txp but don't know how I'll use it. I doubt anyone cares about my flight paths.

What is it you guys do that you need secret agent stealth mode?

...What is it you guys do that you need secret agent stealth mode?

As far as the FAA getting after you, IMHO you'd have to first do something that raises a red flag which would cause them to check your ADS-B trail.
I doubt they're gonna be monitoring all that data to go after the few aircraft who might be a few hundred feet too low or a quarter mile too close to something.

If the "big brother" aspect is that big a deal, don't equip with ADS-B.
Perfectly legal (for now anyway) as long as you stay out of class A/B/C airspace and the mode C veil that surrounds the (I believe) 37 class B airports within the US.
If you live within one of them, move--
other big brother stuff is probably already going on too close to you anyway.

I don't think my Garmin GTX23ES can be set on standby. My user manual says it has automatic standby mode, which I took to mean it goes into standby when not in motion. I'm not positive about that part.
That's interesting, over the years I have had controllers ask me to "squawk standby", many times in many different types of airplanes.

What is it you guys do that you need secret agent stealth mode?

I for one don't not want DENNY to know where my best fishing spots or moose camp with the monster moose is...8)

What does comes to mind is the new restrictions for sheep hunters in Alaska where you can't even pretend to be looking during the season and how someone could try to use this kind of data to stir up trouble.
I don't hunt sheep but have a concern that someday that same airborne restriction could spread to other species such as moose and caribou hunting.

We all try to be legal at all times; but there is an element out there that hates aviation and the freedoms that we enjoy and will use whatever they can to restrict or harass us. (Paranoia part of me I guess based on the stories I hear)

I was talking with an atc guy and voiced my thoughts about ads-b being abused by automatically recording trivial FAR violations. (And other things) He said, my guys would never do that! I said, you don't understand...it would be a black box in the back room, you wouldn't even know about it. That shocked him into silence.

Be sure you have a breaker on it that can trip at any time.....

When I was in the computer mainframe fixit trade, I noticed that computers tend to grow cables that snake around under the floor at night looking for other computers to plug themselves into........

A couple of years ago I was visiting in Iowa. We were driving through Cedar Rapids and as we came to an overpass the driver pointed to a camera/radar installation. He slowed down, even though we weren't speeding, and said that the camera took a picture of your license plate and radar checked your speed. If you speed through there you soon get a ticket in the mail. The same kind of ticket a Trooper would give you if he'd stopped you with lights and a siren.

There are probably other states and overpasses just like that one too.

I have ADSB Out and In. I like it. But I don't like the potential down sides to it. It is rather wide spread too. Last week I flew from my home base in NW Montana to Baker City, Oregon and had ADSB coverage almost all of the way. This route took me over some remote country, like Hells Canyon too.

IMG_4244.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 176
People go to great lengths up here to protect/hide good hunting/fishing spots. If you fly an area enough you will know where they are, but a lot of guys do less then 100 hours a year and up here that will only cover a very small area. Also the issue of spotting sheep can get you in trouble if you want to run a valley looking for moose and you start high (where the big bull hang out). Someone looking at breadcrumbs will say you are looking for sheep. ADS-B is useful, however when most of the aircraft in the area are not equipped, it is not very helpful.
DENNY

I turn on my SPOT when flying alone for the benefit of the wife, I like to think!. But with ADS-B out, the whole world will be at your side:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...l&utm_content=nbaa&utm_campaign=171012special

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This is in the article: Hmmm.

Next summer, when the satellite constellation of 70 satellites is complete, it will be able to track ADS-B-equipped airplanes anywhere in the world."It's the biggest innovation since we first started coming to NBAA in 2006," said Daniel Baker, FlightAware founder and CEO. "We'll be able to track every airplane everywhere in the world. This is truly revolutionary."

This is in the article: Hmmm.

Next summer, when the satellite constellation of 70 satellites is complete, it will be able to track ADS-B-equipped airplanes anywhere in the world."It's the biggest innovation since we first started coming to NBAA in 2006," said Daniel Baker, FlightAware founder and CEO. "We'll be able to track every airplane everywhere in the world. This is truly revolutionary."
This is what we have been talking about. It's all about mandated control with the advertised bait of "free" weather and collision avoidance so that you don't ever have to look out the window at all any more except when taking off and landing. Next thing will be a bill in the mail for miles traveled with the information sent to State tax departments so that the States can get in on the action. You pilots who live and fly in remote areas like Alaska have no idea of how privileged you are to be far away from the control and tax freaks. Yes the collision avoidance capabilities are a good safety feature when in crowded airspace, but that is only the frosting on the cake.

Absolutely. Class B, C and the mode-C veil is only the camel's nose under the tent. They will roll it out to everyone, even those in remote parts of Alaska. Your N-number will be broadcast on the internet for the world to see, and it won't be "people" monitoring where you fly - it will be bots. User fees, airspace restrictions, and personal security risks will come from this. Kiss your privacy goodbye. I fail to see why some here are so cool with the surveillance state... :sad:

BTW not even the Air Force fell for this -- they said THEY aren't going to use ADS-B out.

I just got back from a wonderful weekend at the wad fly-in, where 40 or so airplanes roamed the new England skies. Everyone had a good time and made some great memories. This was pre ADS-B, now picture this same weekend post ADS-B,and all aircraft in compliance. Anyone care to take a guess at how many violations would be in the mail? I fear it would be a piece of cake for the FAA to prosecute with all the evidence they would have.

Rudy

Last edited:
The ground based system the FAA established had shortfalls/limitations when it came to tracking aircraft. A spaced based system should be much better. If you are a IFR pilot flying in the clouds this is a excellent redundancy/expansion to the existing system. As noted by others this is also a system that is ripe for misuse. I would think anyone using a GPS could currently be tracked if desired. My advice is saddle up and ride hard now my friends you never know when the ranch will go under.
DENNY

Last edited:
Many of us have cell phones and yes they can be tracked. The difference is we choose to have a cell phone, ADS out is a mandate.

I did see uAvionix SkyBeacon supports anonymous mode though.

Many of us have cell phones and yes they can be tracked. The difference is we choose to have a cell phone, ADS out is a mandate.

I did see uAvionix SkyBeacon supports anonymous mode though.
Even with anonymous mode, you're still showing up – just not showing an N-number. But you could still be tracked all the way back to your hangar or tie-down.

Absolutely. Class B, C and the mode-C veil is only the camel's nose under the tent. They will roll it out to everyone, even those in remote parts of Alaska. Your N-number will be broadcast on the internet for the world to see, and it won't be "people" monitoring where you fly - it will be bots. User fees, airspace restrictions, and personal security risks will come from this. Kiss your privacy goodbye. I fail to see why some here are so cool with the surveillance state... :sad: .....

I'm not all that cool with it, I'm a pessimist but I guess less so than others here.
FWIW here's a comment I made on another discussion site:

"The ADS-B "black box" is for air-to-air collision avoidance, and for somebody in a back room to go back & see just what you did after ATC or someone reports a violation.
Besides tactical and after-the-fact use, ADS-B will also make it possible for everyone to track your flights on the internet-
including your ex-wife, your creditors, and that guy who's been wanting to burglarize your house or hangar.
For that reason, I'm with Darryl re keeping as much privacy as possible."

....I have ADSB Out and In. I like it. But I don't like the potential down sides to it. It is rather wide spread too. Last week I flew from my home base in NW Montana to Baker City, Oregon and had ADSB coverage almost all of the way. This route took me over some remote country, like Hells Canyon too.

So has your ADS-B saved you from many near misses in that congested airspace? :p

So how do the big boys hide their info. When working for Kiewit I tried tracking the company jets a couple times and always get this, [h=3]N341K - KIEWIT ENGINEERING GROUP INC (OMAHA NE)[/h][h=4]This aircraft (N341K) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator.[/h]
Can a lowly commoner like me hide my info as well? Will that no longer work with ADSB?

Just for the record, GPS by itself can't be traced. It's a passive system that receives signals from satellites and mathematically calculates position. The only way it could be used to track you is if it's memory is checked or if it's tied into another system such as ADS-B.

Once again, just turn the thing off and you can't be traced. Or turn it on and accept BEING traced. Your call.

Web

A couple of years ago I was visiting in Iowa. We were driving through Cedar Rapids and as we came to an overpass the driver pointed to a camera/radar installation. He slowed down, even though we weren't speeding, and said that the camera took a picture of your license plate and radar checked your speed. If you speed through there you soon get a ticket in the mail. The same kind of ticket a Trooper would give you if he'd stopped you with lights and a siren.

There are probably other states and overpasses just like that one too.

I received one of those Cedar Rapids "tickets" (driving my wife's car that is registered to both of us). "Ticket" came in her name and she was pissed, ranting about points, etc. Well, I sat down and read the entire thing. Basically that first piece of paper is extortion. Pay it and you get no points, etc. on your license. If you don't pay it they move forward with the legal action, court date, points, the whole shebang.

I just paid it since we don't live in Iowa and I didn't feel like spending more money on a lawyer. Call me lazy but I was speeding so in the end I was going to pay something.

Jim

That's interesting, over the years I have had controllers ask me to "squawk standby", many times in many different types of airplanes.

They can't do that if you are ADS-B equipped, it is not in the regs. I found out about it through my friendship with the Chairman of the EAA OSH Notam, hadn't noticed the change. This is why at OSH and any other big fly in where they used to tell you to turn your transponder to standby they had to add the caveat "unless ADS-B equipped."
501bd6f3dd747bcd5d733636851872e7.png

Yes, the difference is a) you can take out the battery in your cell phone legally (if you have one of those models that still have a removable battery), or carry it in a metal case (if battery is not removable), and b) your tracking information isn't publicly available all over the internet in real-time (along with your historical tracking data too).

So has your ADS-B saved you from many near misses in that congested airspace? :p

Ha, good question. Actually on the flight I mentioned I was surprised to see a target pop up maybe 30 miles away. I was over northern Idaho at the time. It was probably an air-to-air target although I was in radar contact at the time from Lookout Pass. I was at 8500' and he was at 7500'. He continued on a heading that looked like it would coincide with mine and in fact he passed underneath me. I'd have never seen him or even looked for him if I didn't see him first on the 796. He was ADSB Out equipped also; his N number showed.

The week before I flew into Meadow Creek in Montana for some late September fly fishing. When I left another plane was in the area. We saw each other on our In devices. He was ADSB Out also and that time it was an air-to-air target. We were both well below the ridge line where there is no radar coverage. We talked on the radio briefly because of it.

I can easily say that ADSB has opened my eyes to more traffic out there than I thought there was before. If in radar coverage Mode C traffic shows too.

IMG_4215.jpg

Meadow Creek looking west.

IMG_4219.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4219.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Back