• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Tail Tie-Down

gderamel

Newport, RI
Anyone know where I might find one of these, rear tie-down handles for a Carbon Cub (installs where the tail leaf spring goes)? Snapped this pic off an AirCam. I'd like to avoid having to custom fabricate.

9b4df18acf9d381942faa712da2e6a8f.jpg
2f51cbe0373d1c1bccc56685a13dbeeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Why not just loop the rope around the leaf spring like everybody else? Saves weight. If it were a J-3, a glider tow hitch might be appropriate.

Why not just loop the rope around the leaf spring like everybody else? Saves weight. If it were a J-3, a glider tow hitch might be appropriate.

Sorry... I should have clarified. This is for a Cub on floats... NO tail leaf-spring installed. This handle would serve as a handle and a tie-down.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Sorry... I should have clarified. This is for a Cub on floats... NO tail leaf-spring installed. This handle would serve as a handle and a tie-down.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app[/

Secure a handling line through the tail gear mount, let it trail in flight, use it for tie down when parked. I ran these for many hours, and they come in real handy, especially in moving water.

MTV

I've installed a u-bolt on the rear tail spring saddle with two nuts on each side, one on top of the saddle, and one below. Made a good tie down ring.

If you can't fabricate one yourself look for something that you can repurpose, like this shovel, cut off what you need and flatten the end and drill a hole for the front spring bolt. make a rubber shim where the back spring clamp goes that will make it tight. My T tyedown is made from an old UPS hand truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lesche-T-Han...7u4C9JDcJGcrog[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Glenn

If you can't fabricate one yourself look for something that you can repurpose, like this shovel, cut off what you need and flatten the end and drill a hole for the front spring bolt. make a rubber shim where the back spring clamp goes that will make it tight. My T tyedown is made from an old UPS hand truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lesche-T-Han...7u4C9JDcJGcrog

Glenn

Our local delivery driver is still looking for that hand truck, figured someone absconded with it while making a delivery at a glass shop in NY. Has it been seven years?

My favorite tail stinger for Cubs was an ~18" length of thin chromoly tubing bent slightly down to clear the rudder and fastened via a bolt to the forward spring attach hole. I put a common electrical conduit clamp over the tubing at the tail post fastened with two bolts, and attached an eye bolt at the rear end of the tubing for a trailing rope.

I could lift and turn the tail with two hands for the additional leverage and tie downs on floats were quick. I carried a light aluminum boat anchor to hold the tail when no brush was available. Plus the anchor made stopping and fishing in a river or offshore in a lake simple.

Gary

Our local delivery driver is still looking for that hand truck, figured someone absconded with it while making a delivery at a glass shop in NY. Has it been seven years?

Years ago my UPS guy had an Alum one that he hauled heavy boxes of magazines up or down a loooooong flight of stairs. Flying Magazine publisher had a second floor office on Main St Cooperstown. It kept breaking in the same spot and they would reweld it. He wanted a steel tube one but they wouldn't buy him one. So one day he's at my shop right after it broke again and he backed up to the dirt bank behind my shop and tossed it on my scrap pile and smiled saying " I'll get a steel one now "

Glenn

Back