• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Don's Dream Machines -12f to -8f conversion

Another Cubber

short final
Heard Don Swords has an stc to convert a C-90-12F to -8F. Anyone familiar with this ? Cant find a working phone number for Don.

What is gained by making that change? Is the -12 the one that can drive an alternator, while the -8 can't?

The dash 12 is a tad heavier - not much. The single downside is the cost of new mag gears, and if you buy Slicks they will include them for relative cheap.

I am currently running two dash 12s, and converted both to B&C starters last Winter. I am so happy with these I cannot believe it. I still hand start about half the time, mostly for macho reasons.

I knew I would have to convert to starters in a few years - I am 76 - but my partner has a back problem, so I put them on five years early.

We got 73 starts out of the first battery. I expected seven. We are operating on the first recharge of both batteries, and are at the 40 start point.

If you convert to dash 8 you lose this option, pay thousands of dollars for parts to save ten pounds, and in my opinion, reduce the resale value. I am now recommending:

Dash 12 engine

Wing tank, preferably Biplanes.

Univair sealed struts

Metal Spars if you can get them - not an operational consideration

Grove Brakes

To any who ask for my advice.

Don't do it. I have a friend with a perfect C-90-8, and I am sure she would trade even for an equivalent C-90-12.

I had a C85 stroker built by my friend at Aero Engines of Winchester. VA. He talked me into the -12. Have the B&C starter with paper work from DGAPILOT. Gonna install soon. Glad I got the -12. I'm 81.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I thought the -8 was on the J3 Type Certificate but the -12 isn't. Maybe that's why the OP is asking.

Once again I may be mis-remembering. I've reached the age where I can remember stuff whether it happened or not.

Rich

The C-90-12 isn't. C-85-12 is - and for that reason, you could probably get a field approval for the 90. I believe the Babcock STC covers all these strange perturbations. I bet Dave could do the paperwork as well.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you guys and say thanks for the replies. Have a client interested in the mod. I'm guessing mostly for the slight weight savings. Was curious about what the mod did with the oil flow routing and if he could still use the oil filter adapter mounted on the side of the case instead of a remote unit that would be needed with the normal -8F. If it were all about weight savings, you would think he would dump the filter for a screen so maybe its all for having a backwards tach. Thanks again everyone

So Don was selling stroker dash 12s outright with accessories for around $19 grand. Who will be picking up that market?

I was telling my buddy about my plans for the just-removed 85, and he wants a rebuilt to new specs. He can afford it. My core is probably lost in the noise compared to what he will spend.

I prefer to assemble my own engines, but I need to steer him to an outright finished engine.

Dunno if it's true, but .....
what I heard a while back was that Don closed his on-airport shop,
but continues to do business out of his home.

Back