• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kitlog? Avialoft?

stewartb

My Mac doesn't appear to play well with Kitlog. I could use my Windows machine but that's not the easiest path. The Avialoft app on my iPad would be more convenient but may be less detailed. Anyone here have experience with either, or better yet, both? Likes? Dislikes? Comments and pireps will be appreciated.

I was using Kitlog in a Sonex build and liked the way it worked. The uploading to a website was also a plus. Then when my data backup failed the support was poor after 3 phone calls and many emails over weeks I did get a reply that they could send me my raw pics and data from the website. But I would have to rebuild my log from the start. Days ago I asked them to send it still have not seen anything. The price was right and as I said it worked fine but if you need any support your on your own.

Hi guys,

I'm Ben from Avialoft. I'm happy you found the app, and just ran across this thread. Kitlog is definitely more fully-formed, as Avialoft was only just launched the week prior to Airventure 2017. That being said, the whole reason for building Avialoft is due to the frustrations with Kitlog and other logbook tools that I experienced personally, as well as what I've heard in person at my EAA chapter meetings and in talking with people on forums and at airshows. My goal is to continue to develop Avialoft into a more fully-functioning logbook tool.

To that end I'm actively building the website interface for the app, which will provide a custom website, as well as an easier way to document lengthy details (instead of using the "keyboard" on your phone/tablet!) :)

I'm open to suggestions, complaints, concerns - you can email me:

ben at avialoft dot com

or call my cell: 972-632-6901

with anything.

One last item, on the issue with migrating from kitlog to Avialoft - an import tool is in my roadmap, but a ways down the road, probably 1st quarter of 2018.

Take care!

-Ben

I can attest that Ben is very responsive to his customers. You E-AB guys should take a look at the app. A website interface will be a very useful addition.

Ben, I did check out your app and will start using it. Looking forward to the website as that is what I liked about Kitlog. Will the data be stored on the website and we will be able to login with any device?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Glad to hear it! The data is stored in a single database that is shared between the phone and tablet app as well as the website, yes. You'll have a single account, and be able to access it from any device. Does that answer your question?

-Ben

No criticism of either of the builder log programs I was looking into earlier but I found Smugmug and it does exactly what I want and is easy to share privately or publicly. I like the general photo sharing function, too, as is being discussed in another thread, but for a web-based builder log? Smugmug works really well.

No criticism of either of the builder log programs I was looking into earlier but I found Smugmug and it does exactly what I want and is easy to share privately or publicly. I like the general photo sharing function, too, as is being discussed in another thread, but for a web-based builder log? Smugmug works really well.
Until they do what so many other "photo sharing" apps have done, and suddenly quit offering the service unless you pay their "ransom" fees... Can't tell you how many people were bitten by PhotoBucket and others... You're better off with a "for profit" company from day one - at least you know they've thought about how to sustain it. With so many ad-blockers out there now, the guys who depend on ad views to fund their stuff are starting to really hurt...

Sorry Stewart. I didn’t realize my post was somehow offensive to you. It certainly wasn’t meant to be. As someone who now has to rebuild a bunch of documentation of my own build, and who has watched others recently go through the same thing, I *thought* that I was providing useful information... Maybe I’m just frustrated and a little bitter about it.

No - one of the other “free” photo-sharing services, as stated in my post. I’m sure SmugMug won’t do the same, and you won’t wind up having to recreate your build log. Good luck.

FWIW? Smugmug isn’t free. Neither are the two biilder log apps I was looking into (and purchased.) I wish I’d found Smugmug first. It fits my needs perfectly. I hope it helps other builders. I’d like to see what they’re up to.

Merry Christmas!

Back