• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Not all that glitters is gold

Douglascharlie3

You would think something as and simple as a Cub would be simple to own. Especially a new one. I have owned C-45's, DC-3's, C-400, C300, B-65, B50 etc. You get the idea. I'm over 100 hours of labor into this shiny new L CUB trying to fix the power plant, Titan 0340 stroker and the airframe. The latest started as a valve cover leak. ECI used cork gaskets that leak when they start wicking. The engine only has about 40 hours sense new. The engine also leaks at the oil pan/ rear cover, #1 cylinder base and blows an excessive amount of oil out the breather. Back to the valve covers. Upon removal I couldn't help but notice the grinding marks from the exhaust valve inside the cover. All 4 covers were the same. I tried contacting ECI for 2 weeks leaving messages with a description. Finally after many calls somebody answered the phone. They were ready for me. Instead of concern he asked me why I removed the valve covers. I told him and he accused me of not knowing what I was doing when I installed the covers. I reminded him that the engine was new and the valve covers were still off and they were to damaged to use. The FAA has just issued a very expensive AD because of a quality control issue. The AD concerns Rod bushing #LW-13923. Although the 340 is exempt it has the same part number and was assembled during the applicable dates. After ECI's response with the valve covers I don't think I would trust my life on ECI's integrity. A recall on the valve covers would be expensive. A rod bushing failure could be fatal. AOPA called ECI disgraceful.

The rod bushing AD is on undersized rod bushings manufactured by Lycoming not ECI. Your exhaust valve is contacting the rocker cover? Are you sure it isn't the rocker shaft? There is usually a nylon bushing in the end of the rocker shaft so it doesn't rub. The ECI cylinder kits I have recieved came with silicone rocker cover gaskets. I use cork for the break in because I have had issues on new engines with silicone gaskets leaking on breakin. Not sure if it is the extra heat or what but get exciting when you are test flying a new engine and your wife calls on the radio and says you are smoking. Can you post pictures of your rocker covers? There are lots of these engines out there and there have been issues but first I have heard of this one.

The rod bushing AD is on undersized rod bushings manufactured by Lycoming not ECI. Your exhaust valve is contacting the rocker cover? Are you sure it isn't the rocker shaft? There is usually a nylon bushing in the end of the rocker shaft so it doesn't rub. The ECI cylinder kits I have recieved came with silicone rocker cover gaskets. I use cork for the break in because I have had issues on new engines with silicone gaskets leaking on breakin. Not sure if it is the extra heat or what but get exciting when you are test flying a new engine and your wife calls on the radio and says you are smoking. Can you post pictures of your rocker covers? There are lots of these engines out there and there have been issues but first I have heard of this one.
ECI, Lycoming and Titan are one big happy family now owned by you know who. No it's not the nylon bushing. It's not the top of the valve hitting it's the side. The valve spring cap and top valve spring coil hits the valve cover. ECI response is so idiotic that we will deal with it ourselves. I have assembled so many engines including radial and supercharged geared engines that I count them over 42 years. In other words I'm (probably) not as stupid as B...y at ECI thinks. The engine came with cork gaskets and numerous oil leaks new from ECI, Lycoming, TCM. It also runs close to redline temps, ECI say's it's fine. As a matter of fact based on oil analysis, performance, bore scope and ECI's lack of support and mentality we are pulling a low time engine and installing a Superiour X Powerplant. I always remove the valve covers and check guides, blowby stains/ metal, valve cleareance, valve cover clearences and anything else I can think of especially on a new engine. I have a long list of discrepancy's I have found over the years. I'm not surprised at all that no one has noticed the valve covers unless it was a old radial engine mechanic.

ECI was acquired by Continental. I've found their customer service and communications to be excellent before and after the transition.

It would be useful for you to share some pictures so the other 0-340 users (and there are many) can inspect their engines for this issue.

First post was a rant to put down a company. Everyone else is here willing to help work through an issue but I dont think that is what the OP is after. Nice first post, but instead of put downs lets try to solve and understand what is happening so the community can help and learn from it.

Looks like Lycoming has gotten on the silicone gasket band wagon although they torque them higher than Real Gaskets does.

Attachments

• SL272 Silicone Rocker Box Cover Gaskets.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 165
ECI was acquired by Continental. I've found their customer service and communications to be excellent before and after the transition.

It would be useful for you to share some pictures so the other 0-340 users (and there are many) can inspect their engines for this issue.

I would also like to see pictures of this issue since a friend just installed a new Titan IO-340 in his experimental aircraft and I will be supporting it. It would be nice to see the issue so I can head it off before it becomes a problem.

-Cub Builder

Last edited:
its easy to overtorque the silicone gaskets. I personally think the listed torque is too high. I torque until the gasket just starts to pooch out. ECI.... no friend of mine either. less than 100 hrs on Cermichromes they admitted were wrong & no help... tough luck

Back