• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EDO 2960 installed weight???

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
The EDO 2870s are around 378 pounds installed on a C-180.

Does anyone really know what a set of EDO 2960s weigh installed???

Alex,
From the EDO report no. 628-1191:
Model 628-2960 seaplane floats together with water rudders and controls, and all attachment fittings, struts, wires and fairings for installation on Cessna model 180 and 185 airplanes. ... complete assembly was found to weigh 425 pounds. The center of gravity of the complete installation is 51" aft of the firewall.

Don't forget to subtract the weight of the removed landing gear which is about 144 pounds. Thus an increase in empty weight of 281 pounds.

Are you moving up from the 172? The take off techniques are just a wee bit different with the 2960s vs the 2870s.

Alex,
Are you moving up from the 172? The take off techniques are just a wee bit different with the 2960s vs the 2870s.

"A wee bit," Pete?? Great sense of humor there. Great floats, but they'll make you learn how to get airborne.

MTV

Well Mike they are good enough to take home the overall winner trophy of the take off contest at Greenville on my 185. The Greenville "bush pilots" who were PK fans were not very happy. :smile:

Yes I am going back up in size. and changing my business profile in some ways.... I have flown 2960s and 2870s, plus PK-3000s, CAP-3000s ( Which I kinda liked) and 3500c's.... And Aerocets...
One plane I am looking at only had a W&B for PK-3000s, but the guy wants to sell it with a set of 2960s... Long story. But I lost interest when I saw the overhaul dates and the compression readings.
I have limited experience with 2960s and had an interesting time learning not to drag with them...

I am also upgrading my seaplane training manual and want to list the various install weights. For some reason the EDOs were hard to find.
Although last night I went through a log book down at the hangar and found the data.

Back