• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brakes Issue

CubCruiser

SPONSOR
Ormond Beach, Florida
This is from a friend who is inheriting his family's SC and bringing it back to Seattle from Maine next month:

I have some folks looking over the Super Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bled the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced O-rings, but still they do not seem to be functioning as they were before the plane was sitting for a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~1500 rpm for the run-up. Any thoughts?

The Airplane has 6.00x6 tires.

"ihave some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced some O-Rings, but still they do not seem to be functioning as there were before the plane was sitting for a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~ 15 "ihave some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced some O-Rings, but still they do not seem to be functioning as there were before the plane was sitting for a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~ 1500 RPM for the run up. Any thoughts you have from your experience with a Super Cub?"00 RPM for the run up. Any thoughts you have from your experience with a Super Cub?"UOTE]stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little p "ihave some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads,

Last edited:
are the pins floating in the caliper mounting plates, not stuck, or bound and making caliper flex? are pucks "stuck" in calipers?(assuming cleveland style brakes?? what type?)

drain brakes completely, and refill from bottom

deformed diaphragms

bent front brake pedals(both ends should be in same plane or you loose travel)

I bet I can find you someone who can safely ferry it so you can work on it at home.

Brake boosters or reservoir masters are an excellent addition. But check what Mike says before you leave Maine - maybe those pins are stuck. 5606 turns into a sticky mess if left for a long time.

Thanks for all of the info. Looks like the owner is leaning toward some Steve's brake boosters, new hoses and some ABI wheels and brakes.

Daryl

Thanks for all of the info. Looks like the owner is leaning toward some Steve's brake boosters, new hoses and some ABI wheels and brakes.

Daryl

While I would not have anything against these upgrades, it well could be just as simple as a hose change or above.

I was complaining for a couple weeks that I had soft brakes on the Beaver; new pads, bled twice, lots of tweaking... changed the lines from the float to the brakes and it was cured.

Rubber hose has a life span.

While I would not have anything against these upgrades, it well could be just as simple as a hose change or above.

I was complaining for a couple weeks that I had soft brakes on the Beaver; new pads, bled twice, lots of tweaking... changed the lines from the float to the brakes and it was cured.

Rubber hose has a life span.

Absolutely. I believe the owner was planning these for the near future anyway.

Daryl

This is from a friend who is inheriting his family's SC and bringing it back to Seattle from Maine next month:

I have some folks looking over the Super Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bled the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced O-rings, but still they do not seem to be functioning as they were before the plane was sitting for a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~1500 rpm for the run-up. Any thoughts?

The Airplane has 6.00x6 tires.

IMHO. If you can't hold the airplane with 600 / 6 tires then something is definately wrong. You should be able to lock em up.
Do they have a "firm pedal"? As Mike said, make sure that the pins are lubricated and check the hoses. If they are not high pressure type then spend your money on that; and not new wheels unless yours are corroded up. If the calipers are installed on the top side as Piper did then you can often trap air in them or the tubing. A little bit of air and you get mush for pedal feel.

If the new owner is not familiar with heal brakes or has someone that will need instruction in the airplane and will be keeping small tires; Don't install the brake boosters....yet. Too many cubs have been flipped on their nose or back from heavy feet on the brakes. If your going to large tires like the Bushwheels then that is a different story.

It shouldn't take a big pile of money to fix your problem.
some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, ilooked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced some O-Rings, but still they do not seem to be functioning as there were before the If If yplane was sitting Ifor a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~ 15 "ihave some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little pitted, replaced some O-Rings, but still they do not seem to Ifbe functioning as there were before the plane was sitting for a year and a half. It is currently hard to hold the plane still at ~ 1500 RPM for the run up. Any thoughts you have from your experience with a Super Cub?"00 RPM for the run up. Any thoughts you have from your experience with a Super Cub?"UOTE]stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pads, the discs may be a little p "ihave some folks looking over the Cub and they seem to still be stumped by the brake issue. They have bleed the brakes, looked at the pa

Did you try the brakes from the back seat?? The rod can stretch and you can have good brakes from the rear and none in the front. Bill

Back