• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Continental oil pressure

Glenn, I'm a dyed in the wool Ford man. That remark was just one those of jabs at a Chevy I couldn't resist. Don't feel bad, at least you don't drive a Dodge. There's a member on this site I communicate with who drives a Dodge and I have a really good time yanking his chain. I probably shouldn't identify him because that would be indiscreet. It's Gordon Misch. Actually I have to give him credit because at least he recognizes the problem. He has mules which serve as alternate transportation when the Dodge won't start.

Glenn, I'm a dyed in the wool Ford man. That remark was just one those of jabs at a Chevy I couldn't resist. Don't feel bad, at least you don't drive a Dodge. There's a member on this site I communicate with who drives a Dodge and I have a really good time yanking his chain. I probably shouldn't identify him because that would be indiscreet. It's Gordon Misch. Actually I have to give him credit because at least he recognizes the problem. He has mules which serve as alternate transportation when the Dodge won't start.

This put a smile on my face... [emoji23]
But what do I know, I drive a Toyota...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son is a slow learner also :lol: He could have bought a new truck for what he spent on 1 1995 F150 with 5.4 Titan engine. Truck was like new but engine was pure junk. If you can find one that runs in a junk yard they want 2k for one but never found one. $3500 later in rebuild and trans starts having problems. My Chevys have towed him home more times then he cares to remember. Hope he has better luck with the Ecoboost. Don't have time to write about friends new Diesels in F350s, one had a broken crank before 25,000 miles, Ford man last 45 years but now drives a Chevy ;-)

I started out a Ford man, my first 4 vehicles were 2 1954 and a 56 F100 and my first car was a 66 Mustang convertible.

Now This is a daily driver getting 40+ miles a day when warm enough and not raining. My friends tease me that I own a Ford.
And I say " yup, I bought the last good one they ever made "

IMG_20170823_120116970_zpsqdkedrzk.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
Yes, that's the strange case I have. Nothing on the data tag indicates what it was designed for or what that giant pad does. It also has an access plate below the front of the camshaft. Fuel injection?

Bob, sorry for the drift. Do you suppose that odd case could have come from some sort of APU application?

"Don't have time to write about friends new Diesels in F350s, one had a broken crank before 25,000 miles"

2013 F350 192000, runs like a fine watch!

Pad on bottom would be for a vacuum pump. Most have the pad cast in but few are machined for the gear and would need a cap plate. Not sure about the odd casting on top maybe a would be oil filler that was never cut open

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Bob, that's the same case I had on my C90. From what I can remember of the conversations I've had with a number of overhaul shops, it seems that the mold for those castings was originally used to make C85-based GPUs during or shortly after WW-II. The flat pad on the top is for an unfinished oil filler. I was told that Continental eventually used some of these cases for certified aircraft engines as well. I was also told, and was not surprised to learn, that these particular cases commonly fail around the center main bearing web. Bad metallurgy of that era, a thin casting, and blind center studs (not through-bolts like the O-200 has) were cited as reasons contributing to the failure. So that sucks.

If you are still flying that case, I think regular oil analysis would be prudent. Or, listen to your gut like I did, and start taking things apart. If you are at the point where you're willing to pull a cylinder or two, look very carefully at that center main web. The crack was just barely visible, and a number of trained eyes overlooked it at first. It becomes much more apparent once the case is split and everything relaxes a bit. Let us know what you find.

WTF you been smokin', Perry - Rice hulls again? Still? But then, I notice you did say "drives" a Dodge. Beats workin' on the supposed transportation. And no, I don't have no half-ass equine critters. But I'd like to - I understand they're kinda like farmers - opinionated, which is valuable SOME of the time.

I knew that fish would surface eventually.
We once discussed working draft animals and I thought you has a pair (what an excellent pun).
Opinionated ? Not ME!

Bob, that's the same case I had on my C90. From what I can remember of the conversations I've had with a number of overhaul shops, it seems that the mold for those castings was originally used to make C85-based GPUs during or shortly after WW-II. The flat pad on the top is for an unfinished oil filler. I was told that Continental eventually used some of these cases for certified aircraft engines as well. I was also told, and was not surprised to learn, that these particular cases commonly fail around the center main bearing web. Bad metallurgy of that era, a thin casting, and blind center studs (not through-bolts like the O-200 has) were cited as reasons contributing to the failure. So that sucks.

That's an interesting tidbit. There's a local T'craft with a C-85 that I maintain that has the case with that big boss on top between 2 & 4 Cyls. In the new O-200-D, they have that same boss now used as an oil filler.

O-200-D.jpg
-Cub Builder

Attachments

• O-200-D.jpg
    O-200-D.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 225
Back