• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any long term Legend Cub guys here

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
I have been on a long term search for my next and hopefully final aircraft purchase. Mainly looking for something that is Light Sport compliant and of course the Carbon Cub is high on the list but my typical cheap self is looking at other options and I have always had a good feeling about the Legend Cubs and to be honest, has always held my interest. To me it has been the 'underdog' that is just as good (for my needs) as the 'everyone needs a Carbon Cub crowd'. I seem to gravitate towards the underdog and the Legend is most likely going to be the plane that fills my hangar. Of course this can only happen if I sell a couple of the planes I currently have, not that it will be easy to do in today's market.

I have followed them since they produced their first J-3 'replica' with it's open cowl. I prefer the closed cowl, mainly due to a little better streamlined look and the fact of where I live makes it a better choice in my mind. I spoke with them while at Oshkosh and would really like to do the Texas Sport Cub version. I would probably go with the YO-233 or maybe even the 340 Titan option. I discussed with them that I would like to travel to TX and participating in the build assist program. This would allow me to do my own condition inspections and any modifications I want without much hassle.

Having stated my mindset, I am curious to hear from any owners on here about the good and bad of their Legends. Having said this, I will keep an open mind and may go with the brand favorite, the CC, if it is financially feasible.
Thanks!

After looking over the market and considering other variables, maybe buying the best PA-11 on the market and adding a few mods to it is the most financially sound decision. Then go out and buy yourself a string of pearls for the woman and another toy you never thought you could afford and still be $ ahead........ Or you could go buy a Legend or CC variant of the PA-11. Plane shopping is a bitch. Not like picking out a pair of cowboy boots LOL

Well....I have looked into that also but as you know, any of the few PA-11's out there for sale are all several decades old. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my post, I am trying to get out of 'old' airplanes and want something newer that isn't always requiring replacement of old worn out or fragile parts. There are many times that I really regret selling my old Champ, but then I just remind myself, the main reason I sold it was due to its age and parts being sometime's hard to get in a speedy manner. I did look at the 'New' Champ at Oshkosh since I still have a soft spot for them.

Yes,, a 60-70 year old plane whether rebuilt or maintained is what it is. Been there. Pearls sure would gain some points

Actual dihedral angle isn't required to get a "dihedral effect."

The Rans S-7 seems to be a pretty popular "cub-like" plane as well.

Could you please elaborate on that? Sounds interesting. Thanks!

Sure!

Roll angles (unless coordinated by the pilot) will almost always have a small sideslip component. This is because wings always produce lift perpendicular to their surface and when the wings tilt, so does the lift vector. As the lift vector tilts, it generates a horizontal component in the direction of the roll angle that causes sideslip unless the pilot counters with some rudder.

If the pilot doesn't counter the sideslip with rudder, the roll probably isn't a desired maneuver and a well-flying airplane should restore itself to straight and level. Otherwise worse things like a spiral mode can become divergent.

Dihedral effect is the aircraft's tendency to restore straight and level (positive), stay in the same roll angle/sideslip condition (neutral), or continue increasing roll angle/sideslip (negative).

It's called dihedral effect because dihedral angle generally has a large contribution to the overall effect. Some other contributions are typical of high wing aircraft.

One contributor is the vertical distance between the wings and the center of gravity, which generates a stabilizing rolling moment. Another contributor is having the wing above most of the fuselage. This allows a localized higher pressure "pocket" of air to develop between the fuse and the bottom of the wing in a sideslip, which also generates a stabilizing rolling moment.

Last edited:
So, to the original question, I have owned my Legend for 12 years this August. I have 700 hours on it. Others have more. There have been three service bulletins on Legends in that time. Two didn't apply to mine and the one that did was on the Continental Engine rocker shafts which got CC Sport Cubs also.

Apples to apples, the Legend AL3 (open cowl) and AL11 (closed cowl) compare to the CC Sport Cub, not the Carbon Cub. The Super Legend XP has the big engine and flaps and balanced tail feathers comparing to the Carbon Cub.

There are probably more Carbon Cubs in the used market at any time than Super Legends because they have been around longer.

From what I have seen, used prices for basic AL3 Legends tend to be $20k lower than Sport Cubs (asking prices).

I have flown both my Legend and a friend's Sport Cub. I prefer my Legend but your mileage may vary.

If you want to pick my brain some more, email me at Richgj3 AT aol DOT com

Rich

I have workd on several models of both brands. Legend is a Piper clone, built just like Piper built them with some modern features and some modification to save weight. The CC products are a clean sheet of paper. Being that you are going to participate in the build process the fact that the SLSA from Cub Crafters must go back to them for recover or engine teardown or overhaul. Legend allows use of any certified system for recover of their SLSA airplanes.

Joe Edwards "Bucket List" has a lot of experience with them. He was at Johnson Creek with his brand new one.

My wife has about 400 hours on her TX-11, the kit version of the Legend cub. She loves it. One selling point, or detractor, depending on how you look at it, is the left side door. She broke her knee a few years ago, and the left door makes it quite a bit easier to get in. Plus, flying in the summer with both doors open is about as close to open cockpit as you'll get in a Cub.

Being able to use standard parts and not being tied to so many factory-supplied propietary parts is a big advantage of the Legend. Or Dakota, or any of a number of other choices not from Yakima.

CamTom12; The Rans S-7 seems to be a pretty popular "cub-like" plane as well.[/QUOTE said:
I actually own a RANS S7 and while it is a fun plane, it is the older short tail version that is a blast to fly but must be flown hands on 110% of the time. The new longer tail version is also on my 'list' (as is the S-20) and neither have been discounted yet. I seem to be gravitating more towards the Legend and others that use a Lyc/Cont. for personal reasons. The fuel efficiency and weight savings of the Rotax does have its advantages though.

Thanks to all for the great replies so far. Many of the positive comments being made are the reasons for my leaning heavily towards the Legend.
I 100% agree with the comment on how nice of people there are at Legend. Having spent a little time with them, and asking the same questions a million others had already asked, they were very friendly and full of enthusiasm. Not something I can say about a couple of the competitors I spoke with. Nothing changes my opinion of a product more than a 'uppity' acting representative for a company.

Richgj3, I may give you a shout. I have read your comments on the j3 site (?) on how happy you are with your Legend.

Steve, definitely respect your opinion and the next time I get down that way I will have to stop in for a meet and greet.

Txpacer, standard parts availability is a big plus, as is the dual doors. My Rans S7 has dual doors and I do enjoy the benefit of them. I hope to eventually put what ever plane I get on floats and doors on both sides are a nice option.

There are two Legends here close by. Both have excellent fit and finish. I fly one of them from time to time and it basically flies just like a 90HP supercub = excellent.

I like the idea of the legend cub since most of the stock piper parts fit. I wish I had bought one 10 years ago when they started and the intro price was $60K or so, what a deal.

The other option is also the PA-11. Buy a basket case and send pierce a pile of money and build a new one.

Tim

Tim

Heck, I even stopped at his display while at Oshkosh and looked over his fuselage, didn't even think about asking if he has an LSA version! Maybe I need to come down and talk to him. Thanks!

Took a Legend from Florida to Calif last year. I loved it. Not much faster than a J-3, but this one was not the PA-11 clone, and had a wood prop. Front seat is not all that comfortable, but back seat is truly nice. Fit and finish much like a show-stopper restored J-3. I even got used to the rear seat throttle after a while.

so, yeah - if you want a brand new PA-11 with extra 3" width, Legend is an excellent choice.

I ordered my Legend closed cowl before production started.I had been flying an old PA-18 95 and went to Lockhaven with it and ended up flying one of the Legend demo planes.It is a PA-18 95 clone with improvements.Factory has been great to work with even when I bug them about some mod I want to try.
I run a Mac 75-35 and cruise about 93mph@2550.It is a well built trouble free airplane and I would buy another one without hesitation.
Bill

As to the question about long time Legend Cub owners.....I am a short timer, but quite pleased.
Basically I wanted a newer airplane and had minimal tail dragger time. So I bought a 10 year year old Legend open cowl that looks and feels new with 700 hours. I plan to put another couple hundred on as soon as possible, then maybe step up to something with more power. I love this airplane. Only issue is speed, or lack thereof. After all it's a low and slow STOL plane and does all that just about perfectly. Having flown the CC and been quite impressed, cost came into the picture and the used Legend with 100 HP engine was half the price of a used CC. If you're going to build one, it would be hard to not put in the Titan 180 HP. As for flying qualities the Legend is very nice, can be flown hands off for a while if trim is set just right. Ground handling and landing, a lot easier than many tail draggers. As for overall fun? I don't think I have ever flown anything more fun, and that's about 40 or 50 different make/models of planes, at least, probably more! Wherever I go, I get attention and compliment, on the plane, sometimes on my landings. "My what big tires you have", is something I hear a lot. It always feels good, even though it cost me some speed. But, I'm logging more time over less distance in the taildragger column of my logbook. It's all good!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Side by side comparison. Legend Cub vs Sport Cub. :)
6139c3f321dfbf91179597056d782d2d.jpg
17ae12e7f49fe07dd89402731eb57f6b.jpg
7b53b2dec7bcdcf23e93fbca6f48baa6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That's my friend's Prius. He owned a Sport Cub up until this year. He had it listed with a dealer at $119K I think. It took a while to sell and I'm sure he took less than that but I don't know how much. It had about 200 hours or less on it and very well kept. All service bulletins done and NDH. Always hangared in a private hangar.

That and looking at prices in general over the years is what leads me to say that Legends are less expensive in the used market.

Another point to consider is at some point a few years ago Legend switched from the O-200 A to the O-200 D which is the same motor as in the Cessna 162 Sky Catcher. I have no input on any differences except that the D is a bit lighter.

Rich

Back