• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tailwheel 101. WTF?

stewartb

T3 and a Matco tailwheel. I've never seen a tailwheel tilt like this. The T3 angle is pretty close to identical as a Pawnee spring, but the T3 is an inch or two longer. The airframe is on shop gear but it's shorter than real gear and taller gear will make the tailwheel tilt worse. FWIW, the Matco head-fork angle is identical to a 3200. I've never focused on a 3200 when turned 90* but I sure don't recall anything like this. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 846
WOW, I'm, about to install the exact same combo (different plane). More "stuff" to watch out for.

Every tail wheel I have ever seen the kingpin is vertical. Whatever else you do, make sure the kingpin is vertical, or slightly slanted forward at the bottom, under load. Anything else - horrible steering and/or shimmy.

That's a lot of negative caster. It certainly won't shimmy but will be prone to coming around on you while taxiing if you don't stay ahead of it.

Wait until you have the plane finished and loaded, I think more weight will make it look better. I also think the higher tail is going to hurt you AOA on takeoff. I think you should hook up the steering also. Man I am thinking a lot tonight better take a nap:lol:
DENNY

Surely when the plane is completed and loaded, most of that should go away. Isn't that a pressure adjustable unit? "Maybe" there is already pressure in it.

1390 Left Carriage.jpg
This is the paint carriage we build for our road striping trucks. The carriage wheel looks suspiciously like a tail wheel.
The four arm linkage allows the carriage to move straight up and down. If the tail spring set up had a second link to allow the tail wheel to do the same thing, problem solved. Heavy or light, the geometry stays the same and the tail wheel works. I'd bet it wouldn't add a pound.

Attachments

• 1390 Left Carriage.jpg
    1390 Left Carriage.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 459
HI guys,

I talked to Dan Default at Oshkosh about this very same issue, I have the T3 installed on my cub and had the same issue with the caster angle being to steep, and that was with 143 pounds on the tail wheel in the 3 point position, the wheel would actually spin around backwards while taxiing , I cut an aluminum wedge and installed between the swing arm and tail wheel to correct the angle, used a longer bolt to fasten the assembly, you also gain some of your angle of attack in the 3 point back without sacrificing any swing arm travel, mine works great now, also, Dan did mention that Airframes is including a wedge with the T3s that are sold now.

Rick

I know of a couple of people that use their airplanes for hunting and have had issues with this combo and have taken the T3 off.
The Matco seems to be holding in there just fine. This is a shot of what his looked like when I came to haul his moose out.

scorgup-2155.jpg
I don't know if they have made changes to the design since but keep your spare parts close by or just call me and I'll haul your moose out.

Jerry

Attachments

• scorgup-2155.jpg
    scorgup-2155.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 526
I agree. The angle is too much! I'm looking into why it's so different on these planes.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to start a stink war here, but a 3200/Baby Bush /Pawnee-ish spring has worked well for a long time.

I'm out of pocket for the tailwheel and I have no ill will about it. New stuff takes time to dial in. If we as a group (Cub owners) settle for what's out there there can be no improving the type. Looking for something better is in my DNA. Slats, flaps, engines, suspensions.... God bless the innovators. I appreciate the effort!

I'm out of pocket for the tailwheel and I have no ill will about it. New stuff takes time to dial in. If we as a group (Cub owners) settle for what's out there there can be no improving the type. Looking for something better is in my DNA. Slats, flaps, engines, suspensions.... God bless the innovators. I appreciate the effort!

There was a time when the Super Cub did not have flaps, and 105 hp...

Might not mod my plane, but like that folks keep trying and building things

As I recall from the T3 installs I have seen the t/w is in the correct geometry to prevent shimmy when the t/w is in the normal trailing position for landing. Perhaps someone can post a pic of a spring install with the t/w 90 degrees to the airplane for comparison?

Airframes offers a couple of tailpieces of different angles which may help this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 225
...and this combination has never had a problem with shimmy...? I like that combo, however I don't think a correct way to address shimmy has ever been presented...

View attachment 32459
This is the paint carriage we build for our road striping trucks. The carriage wheel looks suspiciously like a tail wheel.
The four arm linkage allows the carriage to move straight up and down. If the tail spring set up had a second link to allow the tail wheel to do the same thing, problem solved. Heavy or light, the geometry stays the same and the tail wheel works. I'd bet it wouldn't add a pound.

I think you have the correct idea to address tailwheel shimmy...I'm curious as to why this type of system has never been implemented on bush-type aircraft... - Vern

Update: Supercubs North and Airframes Alaska have stepped up and helped me with my issue. This cool tailwheel suspension has matured quickly. Airframes now offers two different brackets to adjust the tailwheel to angles most Cub guys will see. This isn't an add-on part, these brackets are integral to the assembly. I didn't have this choice when I bought my T3. Airframes is now recommending the two shock version for working Supercubs because it has better lateral stability, too. A standard Supercub may do fine with a single shock but my plane's tail is longer and heavier. The point of this post is to applaud excellent customer service and the willingness to work the problem to arrive at a solution. For you guys who may add a T3 in the future? Know that you have a couple of important details to consider in order to get the best setup.

Special thanks to Dan D. I truly appreciate your effort.

Back