Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WAD 2017 5 -9 October

Post Thanks / Like
    Here too is my belated thanks to John and Jen and all their helpers for the wonderful few days flying about New England with many old and new friends. It's one flying trip I'll never get tired of. Sorry I missed the Saturday lobster roll and Richman island. Next time, weather be damned. But had a nice flight back Saturday in the company of Dawson and also Christina via radio. Last two days here have been IFR rain so good call to pull stakes early.

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Jim Newton
    -------------
    My SPOT: www.tinyurl.com/N4079Z
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great looking event! So glad you folks had the opportunity afforded by excellent hosts. See you next year.
    Johnny

Post Thanks / Like
    Something pretty special happens once a year at the WAD, Laura and I thank you all once again. It's so cool sharing our part of the country with so many from all over.
    Likes kestrel, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME as always

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes yellowbird69, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, what hasn't been said. This is the most talked about fly in on the forum. Great people, great food, Great flying. I want to say thank to all that allowed me to fly with them this year. Farm boy, Pete in the Carbon cub, Tim Cline, and of course George. John and Jen you are the best.
    George, what a great way to meet someone as we did Thursday. also thanks a bunch for the educational trip to Island Bob's in the 180, that was unexpected and a blast. I hope you and all the others had a safe trip back to your home bases. Chip D.
    Likes N9PW, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip D View Post
    Well, what hasn't been said. This is the most talked about fly in on the forum. Great people, great food, Great flying. I want to say thank to all that allowed me to fly with them this year. Farm boy, Pete in the Carbon cub, Tim Cline, and of course George. John and Jen you are the best.
    George, what a great way to meet someone as we did Thursday. also thanks a bunch for the educational trip to Island Bob's in the 180, that was unexpected and a blast. I hope you and all the others had a safe trip back to your home bases. Chip D.
    Chip, was a pleasure to have you along on a Friday. If you have any good pictures from our flights I’d love to see them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pictures of the weekend, they seem to be in reverse order, sorry.

Doug Colorguns

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7755.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	33173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7754.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	33174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7752.jpg 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	33175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7691.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	33176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7690.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	33177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7689.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	33178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7683.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	33179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7680.jpg 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	33180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7665.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	33181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	33182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7573.jpg 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	33183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7571.jpg 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	33184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7553.jpg 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	33185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7551.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	33186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7533.jpg 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	33187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7748.jpg 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	33188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7524.jpg 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	33189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7747.jpg 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	33190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7520.jpg 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	33191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7743.jpg 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	33192
    Likes kestrel, 40m, Bill Rusk, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more from Island Bob's place

Name:	IMG_7742.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	33193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	33194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7738.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	33195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7735.jpg 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	33196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7734.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	33197
    Likes OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20171006_105520.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	33201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006_123509.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	33202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006_123553.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	33203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006_124042.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	33200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006_154522.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	33204
    A few photos from N9PW (Pete) at the Fords airfield and the trip to Basin Harbor. Chip D.
    Likes OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie and I had a terrific time at the WAD. It was a treat to put faces with names from Supercub.org and to enjoy the friendships and warmth engendered by Jennifer and John, and all of their helpers. I was very sorry to leave Saturday morning, but felt the potential for wx to preclude me from getting the cub back to the Twin Cities was great. There were several people who I have had the pleasure of emailing over the years, but have not met in person. I appreciate those who introduced yourselves to me.

Steve Eaton and I flew from the WAD to Rick and Margie Papp's place and spent the night. The ride from the WAD was one of the bumpiest in my memory and Steve and I were glad to be safely on the ground after the 6 hour flight on Saturday. The trip back to the Twin Cities was uneventful. We are looking forward to more trips to the WAD!

Randy
    Likes OldCuby, aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaves really popped with the rain

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have had time to breathe and catch up a bit. 1382 miles from home to the WAD, and an extra 160 to Jim Cranes place up in Maine. Almost 40 hours flying total. My first stop was at Papps place after 8.5 hrs. I get there and park in Eatons designated parking area at the end of the runway, down a little road, behind the shed and equipment, out of sight... I get out of the plane and immediately smell electrical wires either real hot or burning. You know the smell, not at all like oil. So I throw open the hood and look for any smoke, charred wires, etc... I can smell it... Can't see anything. Walk to the other side and see nothing. But every now and then I can smell it.... I'll look later. I head up to see Rick, and Pat Svodobaabada greets me. I am just about to holler at Rick, who is working on something on the bench..... when I notice that he was attending to a dog.....The dog had a bad day....

Head in to say hi to Margie,,,,visit a bit, grab a drink and sit outside in the lawn chairs... (Lingering thoughts of electrical fire). Papps place is super nice, runway right next to the house. After dinner I head back out to the "Cub on Fire" to see if I can salvage anything. I open the cowling again and look and look, Cant see any hot wires or anything.... BUT I can smell it.... Maybe it was all the trail mix I ate on the way up.. Threw a handful in my mouth and maybe got some up my nose... THEN I SEE IT! A small breeze gave it away.... 20 feet away was a very small smoldering fire...that just so happened to have some insulated electrical wire thrown in for fragrance...Disaster averted.

Next day I flew to Island Bobs where I met up with my Old Uncle Tim and Jim Doody. What a nice guy, I'm talking about Jim... Met Island Bob and heard some stories in his heavy Staten Island accent. Tim had to leave so Jim and I went to dinner at Masseys Italian Restaurant. Here is where it gets good.... Tim was supposed to buy me dinner if I came up to the WAD. I think he gave Jim fifty cents. I offered to buy dinner but Jim had none of it. Said it was a pleasure..... Tim, are you listening. You should take a lesson from your good friend Jim, you might learn something... After an uneventful evening with the rats in the horse stalls at Island Bobs, and after breakfast with Jim. Tim shows up and we fly around the area. I must admit that you guys have a great playground and beautiful country to fly in. In fact the whole northeast was great. A million private strips everywhere.

So I head to the WAD about 1pm or so. Have to get there to pick up Linda at Manchester. Landed at the WAD and met Jennifer. Landing at the WAD was really cool, either through the smoke at the smokestack at the lumber yard on one end or a short dog leg through the trees on the other. Cool place. We track John down and they were going to be short of loaner cars. So I remember Tom Ford offered me a car, John flew me down in his 180 to go get a vehicle. Met up with Ford and he offered his Jeep. Well here is this LIFTED Jeep with no ladder, not even a rope ladder coming out of the door. Oh well, beggars cant be choosers. Off I go uneventfully to Manchester International Airport. Pick up Linda uneventfully. Sorta,, she sees the Jeep and says "You've got to be kidding" jokingly. She throws one leg in, grabs the rollover bar and does a chin up, spins around and gets in, all wearing a skirt... LOL

Now it gets interesting, I had asked Ford where we could stop and get Lobster. Not knowing the area I figure he would know. He texted me the name and address of a place. I googled it, put in the address on the web site and off we go on WAZE, get you there quickly, app. We drive and drive and finally arrive at our destination. Stuffed ourselves with lobster, shrimp and calamari. SO we head back. I put Plymouth NH in WAZE and it says an hour and a half..... WAIT... an hour and a half!!! WTF!! I put in NH96 and it is even longer...He knew I wanted a close place to eat... So now I am cussing Ford,, that sorry a..hole.... he's getting me back for getting his ass chewed following me into a private strip (completely inadvertently) in Idaho.... Im gonna let him have it....

About 3/4 of the way there I look at the text he had sent me,,, and low and behold he DID give me the right address of a place closer. When I put the web page in, it gave me their first restaurant, where I went. Their OTHER place was closer.... SO now I am laughing at myself and Ford is off the hook... for now.

Make it to Plymouth, and crash. Next morning head to WAD, meet lots of folks and about 10 am head to Baileys campground where we had lunch with Linda's sister. Then head up to Jim Cranes place while the rest of the WAD flyers went to Island Bobs. I must say, going to Jims place was one of the highlights of the trip. Not only the fall colors, but just getting to see this guy that had come all the way down to the OK18 flyin a few years earlier. I always try to catch Jims posts, he is well spoken and such a nice guy. And what a great history story he has with his farm, and a great family to boot. We are lucky to know him... unlike Tim and Tangle. Although I did disappoint one of Jims sons... he thought I was 7' tall... shooting flaming arrows out my ass like William Wallace....
    Name:  IMG_7291-1.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  775.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7289-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  861.2 KB

Head back to the WAD with an appointment to see George Campbell,, aka AKTANGO... I call him Tangle, for short. So I see Tangle lurking in the corner, like a cat waiting to pounce on a helpless and harmless little bird. I think he was talking to Tim about some covert operation on yours truly. But they didnt get up early enough to get me...

Lots of pleasantries, visiting, intros, watching Linda have fun putting names to faces,,, Watching Bill Brine try to pick up Linda,,, you know, etc. etc.

Then I met Charlie North...

[QUOTE=CharlieN;697701]Steve E was truly there, I got a shot of him [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Chatted with him as well, wonderful man.

Tim and Tangle,,, you see this?? See how wonderful Charlie is... You guys need to sit down and chat with this guy. In fact, you need to sit down and stay a while, and you both might learn the error of your ways....

Linda and I had a GREAT time. She wants to come back next year... Tangle, hope you can make it again. Dr. Randy and I did stop at South Albany on the way back, cool little FBO.

Name:  IMG_7295-1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  639.3 KB

Almost forgot,,, While I was flying I look down and spot this Bridge to Nowhere... Seems like Tim Allen construction and trucking company bailed out on the project. The DOT is looking for him. I think I'll give them the info since he bailed on my steak.

Name:  IMG_7297-1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  536.8 KB

OH, one more thing..... Ford, thanks for the use of your Jeep.. Was I supposed to pay that turnpike fee? I thought I saw a bright flash go off when I went through the fast lane.........Gotta get up early...
    Likes 40m, Farmboy, kestrel, OldCuby, cubdriver2 and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great year again but we missed seeing some of you. Phil, Jim, Joe, Rene, Larry, Cruiser, Ed, JP, Sweeney........................

Glenn
    Thanks JP thanked for this post
    Likes Farmboy, WindOnHisNose, Poor Joe, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LOST AND FOUND
    We have a blue booster pack that was left in hangar to charge.
    We have a towel and toiletries kit
    ... We are looking for a black Northface jacket belonging to Dr. Randle S. Corfman
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Great year again but we missed seeing some of you. Phil, Jim, Joe, Rene, Larry, Cruiser, Ed, JP, Sweeney........................

Glenn
    Kenny..........?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Ken Cornell
    Likes RaisedByWolves, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WAD 2017 5 -9 October

Quote Originally Posted by A very stick puppy View Post
    Kenny..........?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    See what happens when you land on the beach?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got a black Northface jacket for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny..........?

.................................................. .......

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    .................................................. .......

Glenn
    Jeez Glennie. Didn't take long for me to be forgotten. One of the things I was looking forward to was learning from the Pro's (Eaton and George) on how to get under your skin. I would have paid money for that lesson.....
    Ken Cornell
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez Glennie. Didn't take long for me to be forgotten. One of the things I was looking forward to was learning from the Pro's (Eaton and George) on how to get under your skin. I would have paid money for that lesson.....
    You should take it as a compliment that I forgot you. The outlaws names are easier to remember

Glenn
    Likes A very stick puppy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I’ve got a black Northface jacket for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey, you rascal, gimme back by jacket! Talkin' bout outlaws, Glenn....

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, John and Jen.
    Likes N9PW, aktango58, Rudy, 40m, kestrel and 5 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We have entered the video era. Another great one, thanks Bill!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I did disappoint one of Jims sons... he thought I was 7' tall... shooting flaming arrows out my ass like William Wallace....

No disappointment here, actually meeting you made my day. Was not in the greatest of moods due to lots of working and missing the wad, and Steve Eaton shows up at the potato house. I said wait a minute what was your your name and his wife grabbed her brow and started shaking her head. Told me a couple stories about T. Ford and tool time Tim and I was smiling the rest of the day. Honored to have met you. Also saw Lou's very nice 180 flying around Exeter, what a beaut. thank you guys for taking the time to get up here I know my father really appreciated it, as did I.
    Likes 40m, RaisedByWolves, Farmboy, SteveE, OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Found my jacket! It is at the Fairfield Inn, they are mailing it to me. btw, it was a nice hotel and a great suggestion to stay there, John and Jen!

Randy
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Been away from the computer for a while, just read the post, that wind bag Eaton posted, take a breath will ya. You're welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh mighty distance,
    From here to there,
    This is what I got,
    When i went in the air.

No forward vis,
    And scant below,
    Tried to work around,
    But it was no go.

So back East I went,
    With my tail in the air,
    Up the might River,
    With nary a care.

Bombarded potato land,
    Went like a scorched ape,
    Saw the Man himself,
    Tending his plate.

Oh, the border, the border
    It eludes me still
    I can hear Tommy Ford
    Start his yearly shrill

With rain alight again
    I retreated to the den
    A hangar in Exeter
    A place of good Zen

And having been grounded,
    Thwarted this year
    I popped a cold one
    And headed for the pier

Out on Pen Bay
    With the wind in the sails
    Racing Dear Nathan
    And all manner of gales.

Name:	2017-10-06 09.28.09.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	33231

Name:	2017-10-06 10.11.52.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	33223

Name:	2017-10-06 09.27.43.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	33230

Name:	2017-10-06 11.10.55.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	33229

Name:	2017-10-07 16.30.39.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	33228

Name:	2017-10-07 18.21.32.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	33226

Name:	2017-10-07 18.31.04.jpg 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	33227

Name:	2017-10-08 10.14.33.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	33225

Name:	2017-10-11 16.38.55.jpg 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	33224
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-06 09.28.07.jpg 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	33222  
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html
    Likes 40m, SteveE, DavePA11, kestrel, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to save face, Silver Tongue!
    Likes JP, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SteveE;697923]Well I have had time to lick my wounds

Head back to the WAD with an appointment to see George Campbell,, aka AKTANGO... I call him Tangle, for short. So I see Tangle lurking in the corner, like a cat waiting to pounce on a helpless and harmless little bird. I think he was talking to Linda to help her through being with me.

Watching Bill Brine try to console Linda,,, you know, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Steve E was truly there, I got a shot at him [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Chatted with Linda as well, wonderful woman, what the heck is she doing with him?

Tim and Tangle,,, you see this?? See how honest Charlie is... You guys need to sit down and chat with this guy. In fact, you need to sit down and stay a while, and you both might learn the error of your ways....

Linda and I had a GREAT time. She wants to come back next year without me. Tangle, hope you can make it again. Dr. Randy and I did stop at South Albany on the way back, Thank you for keeping Linda and Julie entertained!

Gotta get up early...
    Did I read that right?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Farmboy, SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=aktango58;698061]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Well I have had time to lick my wounds

Head back to the WAD with an appointment to see George Campbell,, aka AKTANGO... I call him Tangle, for short. So I see Tangle lurking in the corner, like a cat waiting to pounce on a helpless and harmless little bird. I think he was talking to Linda to help her through being with me.

Watching Bill Brine try to console Linda,,, you know, etc. etc.

Did I read that right?
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 10-13-2017 at 06:44 AM.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"