Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAD 2017 5 -9 October

Post Thanks / Like

WAD 2017 5 -9 October

Hi Everyone,
    I have recently received a few calls about the WAD in Wentworth New Hampshire this year. It is once again on and scheduled for the Columbus Day Weekend. Initial Fly-outs will start on Thursday and run through the weekend. I will be working with Rene on those shortly. Any feedback of places you enjoyed are appreciated. Locally this year we need to do a brunch flyout to Windsock Village as last year the donuts were there and we got fogged in. I felt like a heel about not having our group fly in there after all the effort they put out.

Maine Coast is always a favorite and maybe this year we torment Jim Crane at his strip and Millinocket as they have a wheels and keels.

So please put us back on your calendar and I will keep this updated.
    This year we look to have you all join the RAF and I will have all the information and we expect several RAF folks to join us. We also have space for Campers for those locally that do not want to be on the ground. I have limited indoor space and strive to provide that to Beautiful Wives and those of Age.
    Regards
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"
    Thanks Bill.Brine, Joseph206 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to it. I'm happy to lead the "slow plane" section. JP
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html
    Thanks Chesney thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait !
    Likes JP, Joseph206 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully with some good weather, we should have three or four coming up from western pa and north east Ohio. Heard all about it but haven't ever been able to make it. Sounds like a good time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ESAS View Post
    Hopefully with some good weather, we should have three or four coming up from western pa and north east Ohio. Heard all about it but haven't ever been able to make it. Sounds like a good time!
    A great bunch of people to meet. Not to mention some fun flying
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Joseph206 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I am planning on being there, might even be able to talk Cuzz into making it also.
    Dawson
    Likes Joseph206 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 105 Special View Post
    John, I am planning on being there, might even be able to talk Cuzz into making it also.
    Dawson
    Hey Dawson that would be great. Tell Cuzz he should not miss it.
    AOPA is having an event down in Groton CT. But hopefully Mark from Cubcrafters comes up so we can all see his new machine.

still looking for feedback on the fly outs.......So where do you want to go?

i will ask for a count this year as we want to plan a barbecue vendor for one of the nights. I hope to get a survey chimp up and going shortly to ask some questions.
    thanks
    John
    Likes OldCuby, Joseph206 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is considering a hotel room in Plymouth we would recommend the new Fairfield Inn. Here are your choices. https://www.bing.com/search?q=hotels...%21UMjYLwq6*Eq

Do not wait as this is the height of Leaf Peeper season and rooms are hard to come by. We will have vehicles you can use to get back and forth.
    John
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John,
    For someone who's never been there, where do you recommend one searches for something like an airport id or just general navigational information for planning and such...?

Kem
    "...We're fast enough to get there, But slow enough to see..."
    Fron the song "Barometer Soup". By Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffair View Post
    Hey John,
    For someone who's never been there, where do you recommend one searches for something like an airport id or just general navigational information for planning and such...?

Kem
    NH96

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks Ruffair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go up 93. Bang a left at 25 and head up the valley. Go over Plymouth airfield. Keep going. When you hit Wentworth look for an airfield past the sawmill near the river. Land. Partake.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html
    Likes Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John,

Kem
    Hi Kern, It is NH96. We are about 12 miles from Plymouth 1P1 http://www.airnav.com/airport/NH96
    Thanks Ruffair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    go up 93. Bang a left at 25 and head up the valley. Go over plymouth airfield. Keep going. When you hit wentworth look for an airfield past the sawmill near the river. Land. Partake.
    ....and repeat

Post Thanks / Like
    Got an invitation to Texas to drive a bunch of Shelby Mustangs that weekend... including a Cobra, Super Snake and Terlinqua. Hard decisions.

If'n I were to come, would there be an empty seat I could fill somewhere?

I need a vacation really bad right now, and the WAD seems a great place to spend one; I do think I have forgotten how to fly wheels though.

Will Rene' be joining us- who cares- will HEATHER, Tom's Mom, Jen and all the great folks that make the food happen? Will Tom's Mom make cookies?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Got an invitation to Texas to drive a bunch of Shelby Mustangs that weekend... including a Cobra, Super Snake and Terlinqua. Hard decisions.

I need a vacation really bad right now, and the WAD seems a great place to spend one; I do think I have forgotten how to fly wheels though.

Will Rene' be joining us- who cares- will HEATHER, Tom's Mom, Jen and all the great folks that make the food happen? Will Tom's Mom make cookies?
    VIVA TERLINGUA....!! The Frank X. Tolbert Chilie CookOff....! Oh Hell Yeah....!
    But wait, that's not till the second Saturday of November.... Oh yeah. You can make the WAD.

You're golden...
    "...We're fast enough to get there, But slow enough to see..."
    Fron the song "Barometer Soup". By Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    VIVA TERLINGUA....!! The Frank X. Tolbert Chilie CookOff....! Oh Hell Yeah....!
    But wait, that's not till the second Saturday of November.... Oh yeah. You can make the WAD.

You're golden...
    The car weekend is that first weekend of October. I have connections into the 'inner' circle for the cars now... I could drive #1 Terlingua mustang, and some other cool stuff. Cubs sound good though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post

Heather is a lock. Rene's new schedule is questionable. I have a seat for you in 180 and switch to SC. Karen Ford is on my contact list as the Queen of Sweet. Jen has Chili and other in sight. If you come we will ship your clothes and have you pack salmon and shrimp....that lobster shrimp you are famous for. I have a Chrysler Convertible Sebring for you to use. The 6 cylinder is feisty fast......... Arrangements for Boston Transportation will be made.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Both of these flights through the White Mountains, and down the shore, as led by our favorite frenchman were fabulous, for the colors were perfect. Maybe incorporate some of these stops into trips through Maine, and Windsock Village.

The restaurant off the end of 63B, Limington, was also great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.18.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	32515

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.19.33 PM.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	32516
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John & Jen - I think it's a pretty safe bet that Mike Klein and I will be there again this year with 73C. George - If the possibility of Mustang driving is making you wonder if you can attend, John might let you sit in his Mustang convertible and make engine noise (if he hasn't sold it yet). We might even be able to put some temporary Cobra, Super Snake, or Terlinqua stickers on the side and turn up the heat so you think you're in Texas..... Just a thought.
    Ken Cornell
    Likes pfm, Joseph206 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mustang got gussied up and is actively for sale to fund my other nostalgic car rebuild from the 60s. They are both over in Bridgton Maine.
    I can always get my buddy with his 700 HP Hellcat come visit. Maybe this Boston driver could go pick George up at the airport.....it would certainly quiet George down for a short while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    John,

Both of these flights through the White Mountains, and down the shore, as led by our favorite frenchman were fabulous, for the colors were perfect. Maybe incorporate some of these stops into trips through Maine, and Windsock Village.

The restaurant off the end of 63B, Limington, was also great.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.18.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	32515

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.19.33 PM.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	32516
    Couple of questions......Can the Limington Restaraunt handle a large group? Do you believe The island strip can be handled by all.?

Post Thanks / Like

WAD 2017 5 -9 October

I'd check on the restaurant- word was it was fairly new/recent at the time, so I'd want to make sure it was still going strong. I'd guess we had 8-10 people. 20 people would definitely take some planning.

Regarding the island, personally I would say yes. With the approach wide open it's just as nice as Wentworth with trees.
    But perhaps some more seasoned folks can provide a more qualified perspective on that.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    The Mustang got gussied up and is actively for sale to fund my other nostalgic car rebuild from the 60s. They are both over in Bridgton Maine.
    I can always get my buddy with his 700 HP Hellcat come visit. Maybe this Boston driver could go pick George up at the airport.....it would certainly quiet George down for a short while.
    I don't know John, I am more of a road race corner guy really,MG, Lotus, Ferrari... be hard to beat that late night downtown Boston tour I took with Rene's sleek speedster last trip. Puppy has a great idea, but maybe a random slap upside the head to simulate hard corners banging the helmet in auto cross could be worked in?

Mrs. Tango, (it takes two) has been invited by me to join. She is checking her work schedule, as I am, and will update asap. With her company I might opt for a hotel, but if solo I would think it would be a popular decision to allow me to nest in the barn behind the hangar away from everyone else- to ensure I do not disrupt their sleep patterns

The idea that there are salmon and shrimp in Alaska comes from fake news. Bristol Bay did not receive record runs, Sitka does not have any fishing, and I have never heard of a 'lobster shrimp'

Life has been good to me so far- so chauffeured transportation to and from WAD and Boston would be very nice, (and easier on your vehicle) two pigeons and one truck is a traffic jam here. Forgetting how to deal with traffic.

My votes, for what it is worth, would be the ice cream place, and Mt. Bob's! Even if Mt. Bob's is just a 20 minute stop to say hello to him. If Mrs. Tango is with me a must stop would be the museum, and the island by the lobster stop- she loves a beach.

Walking the bridge will be a priority, but is not that big of a deal since it is between food and planes. Seeing some of the best people in the world is the reason to be there... so what ever is on the agenda will work out just fine.

Luggage details will be filled in as soon as I get confirmation and tickets purchased.
    Likes FdxLou, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John, it would be a very quick ride to the wad in a hellcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post

Or a very long one.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    for those that choose not to land on ""sheep" island---Bayleys`airstrip is less than 10 Min. away---and usually that`s our next stop----Capt Cub

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at the Lemington Harmin restauruant last Sunday, it was a 40 minute wait for 3 people at 1000. chip D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post

Depending if your 'exit' is the correct one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie and I will be there! She will be coming out on a smoker, I will fly the cub out! Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Kathy and I are coming up the week before to do some "leaf peeping" from ground level. Bringing the StudWagon.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    Kathy and I are coming up the week before to do some "leaf peeping" from ground level. Bringing the StudWagon.

Lou
    Would that be the station wagon formerly owned by the Griswald Family, Featured in Vacation?
    Likes RaisedByWolves, OLDCROWE, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I forgot to mention that Miss Debbie will be join me also via a smoker.
    Dawson

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

My plan is to make it this year in the C180 which would make it for the second time. Seems only fair since I have been there in the J3 twice and don't want to make either airplane jealous of one another. Does my advanced age or award for the TB for the longest distance award qualify me for and indoor bed? Seems like my Cub got a primo hangar space last time it was there (2014) because of the TB award.
    Pat
    GREEN SIDE UP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CubLite;694549]John,

My plan is to make it this year in the C180 which would make it for the second time. Seems only fair since I have been there in the J3 twice and don't want to make either airplane jealous of one another. Does my advanced age or award for the TB for the longest distance award qualify me for and indoor bed? Seems like my Cub got a primo hangar space last time it was there (2014) because of the TB award.

Hey Pat we will keep you off the ground. You may be in a camper but not in a tent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 105 Special View Post
    John, I forgot to mention that Miss Debbie will be join me also via a smoker.
    Dawson
    It will will be great to meet Miss Debbie face to face. I will arrange for some indoor camping.
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed, tickets bought for me. Mrs. Tango still waiting on other schedules to let me know.

Bad news is the kerosene crummy only flies to Boston once a day, and arrives very late.

It also departs once a day, very early.

In late night of the 4th, back early am on the 10th. Work early am on the 11th

So all you good people, what needs to be in the luggage to get picked up, (and not arrested), from Boston at midnight the fourth, or early on the 5th?

I can already taste John's great breakfasts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    It will will be great to meet Miss Debbie face to face. I will arrange for some indoor camping.
    john
    Thank You. AKA 2 Dawg

Post Thanks / Like
    OK coup[le of questions before the Google survey

Would you pay as much as $25 for a 1/4 zip lightweight sweatshirt? The long sleeve Tees are about $5 less a shirt.

The Alaska Connection is coming again. It was difficult to have so many choices at once to cook so I was requested to cut one item from the menu. I was thinking Salmon and Shrimp and forgoing the King Crab Legs.....Thoughts??
    The Saturday night will be a surf and turf grill night.

The flyouts this year will be recommended and we will target lunch times at certain locations. The reason why is the amount of people make it tough to have quick turn around. We more or less broached this last year. We anticipate evening flyouts to local river bar. There will also be a more challenging bush flyout recommended. As always please do not write checks your abilities cannot cash.
    FEEDBACK is appreciated and needed.
    John
    Likes Joseph206, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clothing is a personal thing, but I like pull over hooded sweatshirts with back artwork. Not inclined to front zip sweatshirts.
    $25 is fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Clothing is a personal thing, but I like pull over hooded sweatshirts with back artwork. Not inclined to front zip sweatshirts.
    $25 is fine

Me too. Not a fan of the zipped sweatshirts