• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 rear seat throttle with seaplane door

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
My PA12 has seaplane doors and thus no throttle in the rear seat. Is there a kit or a mod available to add a throttle to the back seat? Would like to start doing some instruction (to my kids) from the back! Thanks for any ideas / assistance!

I came up with a too easy way, I plan on using a Teleflex marine cable for the rear seat. Inexpensive and easy to make and install. I took this to a FAA rep and asked for a field approval and was flat turned down but was told it was a great idea why don't you go for a STC. LETS SEE maybe 100 -12's with the possibility of buy the STC , that means if I got about $10,000.00 for each one I could break even, that the way to make money in aviation,lol.

I came up with a too easy way, I plan on using a Teleflex marine cable for the rear seat. Inexpensive and easy to make and install. I took this to a FAA rep and asked for a field approval and was flat turned down but was told it was a great idea why don't you go for a STC.
Maybe that was his way of telling you that it is a minor alteration?

That the only way I can look at it, I am going to put it in for safety. When I get it installed I'll post on the results of its functionality.

all you are replacing is a 1/4" piece of steel rod... nothing special... but I DID get this field approved no problem

This has been discussed before. I didn't have a rear throttle in my old-12 with the LH door. I had a few ideas of how to add a simple temporary rear throttle if I needed it. Put it in for a BFR, take it out for the other 729 days before the next one. Roll your own.

I saw this on a '12 in Lompoc at the West Coast Fly-in in July. I talked to the owner's son; he didn't know details of throttle set up. The plane just came off of an 8 year restoration. Very nice '12.
Marty57

IMG_9283.jpgIMG_9284.jpgIMG_9282.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9283.jpg
    IMG_9283.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9284.jpg
    IMG_9284.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9282.jpg
    IMG_9282.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 396
I have seaplane doors either side in my 12. Absent a throttle in rear seat. I have seen a 12 that had seaplane doors with a throttle on the left bulkhead in rear seat. It appeared to be rather awkward. Unknown how well it worked. I rarely fly with passengers-- so that isn't an issue-- but I have in the past had the rear area of aircraft filled with "stuff." I had everything well secured--- pulled rear stick, etc., but, I would be really paranoid of gear fouling the rear throttle. Think if I were going to put one it---would think about a quick attach--- detach handle arrangement.

One of the build threads had a left door with a overhead rear throttle similar to the one posted just ran the cable overhead. It was out of the way and looked like it would work good.
DENNY

Back