Thread: $39. ipad mini size tablet Best Buy

Post Thanks / Like

$39. ipad mini size tablet Best Buy

If you need a cheap moving map tablet hard to beat $39. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=5157800

I've had no issues, free moving map software Avare app works great available on google app store.
    Thanks Wag2+2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately as I understand it, I believe to be considered as a chart the app used has to be approved by someone or other. I seem to remember an avweb or AOPA story about one of the airlines getting foreflight approved.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll approve it. You have my blessings, go for it.
    N1PA
    Likes FdxLou, mike mcs repair, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Forflight isnt airline approved, Ive never heard of it being used by any, Jepp is the only EFB im aware of the airlines use
    Thanks Bill.Brine thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe forflite has been okd by FAA to use as legal charts i dont know.. i dont approve iCrap LOL a pita compared to Droid

Post Thanks / Like
    My work issued an iphone and ipad and i wish they would go to Droid, everything is so much simpler to do on a Droid.

Post Thanks / Like
    So does anyone know the FAA status of using a Pad for charts, or do we all practice our kicking and screaming together in case of a ramp check.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"
    Likes supercub1999, FLYERKODI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Foreflight a lot less $$ than buying all new charts every 6 months, especially if you cross from one side of the US to the other a lot. And now no WAC charts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    So does anyone know the FAA status of using a Pad for charts, or do we all practice our kicking and screaming together in case of a ramp check.
    You can fly with expired charts, no charts or the Rand-McNally road atlas if you like. Just don't expect any compassion from the feds if your navigation isn't quite up to snuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all good. You can throw out your Texaco map of Oklahoma.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Foreflight a lot less $$ than buying all new charts every 6 months, especially if you cross from one side of the US to the other a lot. And now no WAC charts.
    Wow no WAC charts anymore? That blows! I dont carry paper I just use the current electronic charts that Avare downloads from NOAA, the app tells you when they aren't current. There are WAC charts on my tablet now, Avare downloaded them, I use WAC charts all the time. I have Avare on my droid phone and my droid tablet and use one or the other when flying. Its free I dont like giving my money away. That is a good question... is it ok to use electronic charts? I cant use forflight because I throw the ipad everytime i want a menu key like droids have it it isnt there

I found this on the Avare page below.. anyone seen the FAA docs referred to?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ds.avare&hl=en
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avare.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	32382  
    Last edited by supercub1999; 08-07-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very cool feature is the moving map on the instrument approach chart, always shows your position on the chart, also on taxi diagram charts. Are there free ipad apps like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub1999 View Post
    If you need a cheap moving map tablet hard to beat $39. www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-8-tablet-16gb/5157800.p?skuId=5157800
    I've had no issues, free moving map software Avare app works great available on google app store.
    I bought a similar Insignia tablet at BestBuys for $100 a year or two ago--
    it worked fine at first, then the internal GPS started having trouble locking onto the satellites.
    I ended up returning it, and buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
    Had that one over a year now, works great.
    But for $40 the Insignia is sure worth a try.
    Easy to return if it doesn't work out.
    Be advised that BB's return policy limits you to store credit after a certain amount of time though.

I use the free Avare app too--
    in fact, I bought a Droid tablet specifically so I could do just that.
    I know lots of people with Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, WingX, etc--
    they scoff at Avare, but it seems to do everything I need it to do.
    The pay apps may have more features, but in my ignorance I don't miss them.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes qsmx440 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose it depends upon where you fly. If you travel away a lot and fly in a lot of Bravo and Charlie airspace, then Foreflight is IMHO - indispensable. All the aviation info, and hotels, restaurants, fuel prices, (weather if you have a Stratus 2s and altitude)

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately as I understand it, I believe to be considered as a chart the app used has to be approved by someone or other. I seem to remember an avweb or AOPA story about one of the airlines getting foreflight approved.
    Well Old crowe you and the others have me wondering since it has been decades since I looked at this question. I found this on the FAA site. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...ronav/faq/#q8b
    What is the FAA policy for carrying current charts?

The specific FAA regulation, FAR 91.103 "Preflight Actions," states that each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. Although the regulation does not specifically require it, you should always carry a current chart with you in flight. Expired charts may not show frequency changes or newly constructed obstructions, both of which when unknown could crate a hazard.
    The only FAA/FAR requirements that pertain to charts are:

• Title 14 CFR section 91.503[a] (Large and Turbojet powered aircraft)
    • Title 14 CFR section 135.83 (Air Carriers-Little Airplane)
    • Title 14 CFR section 121.549 (Air Carrier-Big Airplanes)

The FAA's July/August 1997 issue of FAA Aviation News on "current" aeronautical charts provided the following information:

1. "You can carry old charts in your aircraft." "It is not FAA policy to violate anyone for having outdated charts in the aircraft."
    2. "Not all pilots are required to carry a chart." "91.503..requires the pilot in command of large and multiengine airplanes to have charts." "Other operating sections of the FAR such as Part 121 and Part 135 operations have similar requirements."
    3. ..."since some pilots thought they could be violated for having outdated or no charts on board during a flight, we need to clarify an important issue. As we have said, it is NOT FAA policy to initiate enforcement action against a pilot for having an old chart on board or no chart on board." That's because there is no regulation on the issue.
    4. ..."the issue of current chart data bases in handheld GPS receivers is a non-issue because the units are neither approved by the FAA or required for flight, nor do panel-mounted VFR-only GPS receivers have to have a current data base because, like handheld GPS receivers, the pilot is responsible for pilotage under VFR.
    5. "If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken."

It appears that we (Cub drivers) are not even required to have a chart in the airplane. So if you do have one of any type you exceed the requirements.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update from the FAA. OK. Let's clarify that for operation in Class B Bravo Airspace. I seem to recall you are required to have a Bravo chart with you when operating inside Bravo? Yes? No? Over...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Thanks for the update from the FAA. OK. Let's clarify that for operation in Class B Bravo Airspace. I seem to recall you are required to have a Bravo chart with you when operating inside Bravo? Yes? No? Over...
    That may have been something a CFI said that knew it all. Only requirements I can remember is talk to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    WhiskeyMike,
    It seems that this section would be your answer.
    The specific FAA regulation, FAR 91.103 "Preflight Actions," states that each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.
    How you do it is left up to you.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Skywagon, no chart needed. As a matter of fact I have a two year ongoing bet with my CFI and another pilot if they can show me in writing that I need a current chart I would buy both a bottle of good port. So far all anyone can say is that is how I was trained. I do carry charts to cover the area I am flying as GPS backup, not to concerned that they are up to date. In Alaska we also have the pink book with recent updates to help us out.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    When I flew briefly for an large EMS operator (helicopter) each aircraft had 2 ipads that were serial numbered and listed as part of the MMEL of the aircraft. 2 Ipads required for IFR flight and 1 for VFR flight. Foreflight was our tool for charts and approach plates. No paper charts. This was Part 135 and blessed by the FAA...

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered one of these tablets. Free two day shipping. At that price, I can use it for a borescope screen, if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    A really good and FREE app that hasn't been mentioned yet is FltplanGo by fltplan.com It does almost everything that foreflight does but doesn't cost a dime. Takes a while to learn how to get through all the menus and features though.
    Buying parts is CHEATING!

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the operation. For 121 and 135 you must have current charts as part of your operations specifications. As to the use of a tablet, within 121 and 135 that is also part of your operations specifications. As to Foreflight, as an application it is approved and Frontier is using it right now. The iPad is now an FAA approved device and both ForeFlight and Jeppesen Flight Deck Pro are approved applications that can be immediately be written into the ops specs of a given carrier without testing or demonstration. Microsoft Surface has been approved at at least one carrier I know of, at great effort and expense. However, there are applications problems with the Surface and that carrier is currently testing iPads and will most likely go in that direction is my guess.

As to part 91, FAR 91.175 says if an approach is necessary you must use an approach prescribed in Part 97 (an approach plate is a diagram chart of the text version in Part 97). If you don't have an approach plate, the controller is required to read to you the procedure and pertinent information required to complete the approach. So yes, you can get away with it, but I don't think you'll make any friends and if I were you, I would be real good at holding over a fix because that is what is going to happen to you while the controller reads it out.
    Likes daedgerton liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, someone mentioned Android. I doubt you will ever see Android FAA approved as the operating system does not meet the security requirements. If per chance you were able to get one approved, I doubt the FAA would even let you connect it to WiFi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    By the way, someone mentioned Android. I doubt you will ever see Android FAA approved as the operating system does not meet the security requirements. If per chance you were able to get one approved, I doubt the FAA would even let you connect it to WiFi.
    I mentioned Android, so much simpler to use than Apple. I am stuck with an Apple iPad for work using the Jepp app for charts, I can't stand that iPad.

I'm interested in the security requirements you mention that Android doesn't meet, can you provide those? I am going to research this and find out exactly what security (if any) that Apple has that my Android doesn't have, hate to see bad info being spread around.
    Last edited by supercub1999; 08-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple fact, Android is an open operating system. The source code is available to anyone and it can be modified by anyone. iOS is proprietary and cannot be modified. It is also why Apple requires all apps to go through the iTunes Store and be tested by Apple. Android apps are permitted to make changes to the Android operating system, iOS apps are not. Many Android apps will modify the OS to the extent the OS may become unstable with other apps. One requirement of Operations Spec A061 is that the operator is able to control the OS version used. Under the current Android structure that cannot be assured given the open nature of the OS. If you want more information look at AC120-76C.
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used WACs for my long x-c's in the 1970s. Then unicom frequencies were all 122.8. Now they are all over the map, but not on the WAC, rendering that chart useless for most, so nobody bought them. Then they discontinued them.

General aviation is now about 60% of what it was in 1977. I wonder if all this unicom chatter (position reports starting ten miles out) is why 122.8 stopped being useful.

Guess how many FAA inspectors there were in 1975, as compared to now? Martha Lunken suggested that they are up five fold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forflight isnt airline approved, Ive never heard of it being used by any, Jepp is the only EFB im aware of the airlines use
    My airline uses iPads with ForeFlight. Works great. Has all the legal charts and company manuals, there is even an option to buy Jep charts now. Of course any EFB program has to be signed off by the FAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    My airline uses iPads with ForeFlight. Works great. Has all the legal charts and company manuals, there is even an option to buy Jep charts now. Of course any EFB program has to be signed off by the FAA.

The very next post was

Maybe forflite has been okd by FAA to use as legal charts i dont know.. i dont approve iCrap LOL a pita compared to Droid
    I have to use Jepp at work, have you used them both? The jepp app is ok, it's the ipad operating system I have issues with, I waste so much time trying to figure out how to do something that is simple on a droid, all droids have a menu soft key ALWAYS, Always there, if you need to do something you hit the menu, done. With an ipad if I want to enter or change you have to touch and wait for the stupid thing to pop up and than move the curser, instead of a droid wherever you touch the curser IS, done, no waiting wasting your life for apple to do something. And the back button ALWAYS there, vs apple you gotta hold or touch the screen to get it to show, just stupid, just stupid. I don't want to waste my life precious seconds of my life waiting for something when it should be there as it is in a droid. Seconds equal minutes, ask mr. Apple or whatever his name was.. he is gone now.. I bet he wishes he could add a few more seconds to his life now.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very cool feature is the moving map on the instrument approach chart, always shows your position on the chart, also on taxi diagram charts. Are there free ipad apps like this?
    The FltPlan Go app does all this for free on an iPad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avare does it also, on Androids.

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm an Android guy also. I am guessing the 'sale' is over since the link now shows it priced at $69.99.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the sale is over, it's frequently on sale for $59. though. Sometimes I still use one of these 1st gen Nexus 7 tablets, it's display is better and has a rock solid built in GPS it saved my ass when I got in bad weather once, pick them up used on cl cheap https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...188255153.html
    Last edited by supercub1999; 08-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my $39 tablet last week. It's a bit slow, and the screen is not bright enough for a nav tablet on a bright day. Still, not bad for the price. I couldn't get my endoscope to work with it, so it may not be OTG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
    I got my $39 tablet last week. It's a bit slow, and the screen is not bright enough for a nav tablet on a bright day. Still, not bad for the price. I couldn't get my endoscope to work with it, so it may not be OTG.
    Mine is bright, I didn't have a problem using it in daylight, but maybe it wasn't as bright outside as you experienced. What I liked was the built in GPS was accurate and it was 8 inch vs my nexus 7 at only 7 in. I have had issues with bore scope apps as well, my Nexus works fine but my new droid phone won't.
    Likes AlanW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My samsung tablet works great for navigating w/ Avare and using the internet,
    but doesn't seem to work w/ the PFD display.
    Seem to recall I couldn't get it to work w/ a smart level app either.
    So it might not have all the internal gyro / levelly features.
    I paid $200 for it a year ago, but seen them for like 150 recently.