• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bad Day For a Caribou

Fences make for good neighbors. How long have they been dealing with this issue? Maybe a few Inuksuks would do the trick. Worked for the locals for centuries.

Gary

Fences make for good neighbors. How long have they been dealing with this issue? Maybe a few Inuksuks would do the trick. Worked for the locals for centuries.

Gary
Yeah, that's what you'd call a scare-a-bou. :wink: -- No, I haven't been drinking...yet

Was there contact with the left tire? I can't tell but if not it was within millimeters.

In the early 90s, there was an airport manager named Jack Somethingorother, he put 17,000 miles on his airport truck chasing caribou off the runway. The Central Arctic Herd calved between Kuparik and Deadhorse, then stayed for the Summer! Jack's job was to make sure that the big jets didn't hit any. Sounds like someone fell down on their job there...

Was flying a turbine commander on the slope in early 80's. Proved myself a true newbie when the guy running the radio at Lonely said "caution for the caribou on the runway", and for the life of me I couldn't see that giant twin engine DeHavilland anywhere....,,,

Lonely was one of three DEW line sites modernized (Wainright and Bullen Pt), in the early 90s. We had a Polar Bear at Lonely that would walk down the runway edge lights and knock them over. We flew until late Dec. that first year (91?) and it is pretty dark that far North. That bear was looking at the camp cook through his window one early morning and being from New York, he was a bit freaked-out.

Too bad they didn't explore more towards Barrow, they just found a huge deposit of light crude just West of Lonely.

I've been flying into Deadhorse in a Navajo, lots of low IFR is normal. Break out at 200AGL and 2000RVR at 120 knots and have caribou on runway is not festive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back