Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Stuck Edo compartment covers

Post Thanks / Like

Stuck Edo compartment covers

Couple of stuck screws on the covers. Any suggestions
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    P B Blaster, then wait for ten minutes or so. that stuff can almost seep through glass just be patient and tighten loosen a little at a time then never seize when you get them off. Are the floats on John?

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get them loose, John, try to remove them and lube each fall or spring. I know you are very busy, but that is a very corrosive environment, and it will save you a lot of grief. Hope you are doing will, Reid
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use stainless steel screws with a drop of anti-seize. Never had a problem. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Had same problem on one of mine. PB blaster and patience, took about 1/2 hour to get it out. I Had to put vice grip on big screwdriver and run screw in and out of the nut, I could only gain about 1/2-1/4 turn each go around. Soak it a few times and lit it sit overnight might help.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170717-130242.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	32120

Once free this works the best at keeping things free. You can thin it with turpitine or heat. Aerodrome used this on the hundreds of turnbuckles they have.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    ACF-50 is also a good/great penetrant and will stop the corrosion for awhile. I've become a frequent user of the stuff on firearms; especially those are exposed to the weather. No rust in the mechanism and hidden areas that can't easily be cleaned.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrow View Post
    Once you get them loose, John, try to remove them and lube each fall or spring. I know you are very busy, but that is a very corrosive environment, and it will save you a lot of grief. Hope you are doing will, Reid
    Yes should have done this before. I have a few that will not move from closed tight. Used some Boeing-Lube but no go. I will get some PB blaster and give it a go. I need to get one of the long Zeus screwdrivers with a broad blade to help I think.
    Thanks
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1/4" drive speed handle, a really good bit and some valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip. Push real hard while tightening and loosening just a bit and bam, hopefully they will break loose. These work very well if the head strips out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTLM40...a-318198613386
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    A 1/4" drive speed handle, a really good bit and some valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip. Push real hard while tightening and loosening just a bit and bam, hopefully they will break loose. These work very well if the head strips out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTLM40...a-318198613386
    Yes it is a broad flat blade screw head.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can drop this in the mail.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    John if you have the old style hand impact tool there should be some bigger blades in your kit. I changed the ones on my old 1400 ( same style cover ) to SS Phillips.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post