• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Backcountry Supercubs Rev2 #2 rolls out!

Aktahoe

Truckee, Alaska
The second BCSC Rev2 rolled out yesterday in Douglas. Check her out. Tony at Shock Monster designed the new Porter Style gear and tail shock. There's a video on FB testing the new tail shock. Anyhow, the bird is looking good. Anxious to have mine sitting next to it!

5ea126dc57d4c0d91aafec4572eb5771.jpg
c8a866e96219f0de1e98c3c3c7ff5969.jpg
a9a2bf8021d8638640638d33b37f24a5.jpg
eeec4700e15688e95fda58406171b057.jpg
88ca5e94904c16e1e90df6866d170771.jpg
58e47fd849db6d6e4e92fb60bd0ec116.jpg
51d525b0c894e3eb13295f6e942120f2.jpg
f61475a18c6bc8adf22cbd31240a310f.jpg
0f0c6deaee39e77b9820efad5c26c7ca.jpg
14df4ef6de4c2405bd4096f6a5262c39.jpg

AKT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a Superior IO-400. I don't see an oil cooler or much of an intake to feed one. Any word on oil temps?

Check the stance difference between the new gear and conventional Cub gear. The new gear's AOA looks like what Wayne Mackey gets from his super-extended SQ-12 gear. How much AOA is lost to that tall standing tail gear?

Last edited:
The Rev 2 has the structure added whether you use it or not. Porter style gear is already provided for. I wish all that added tubing was left out of mine but not so much to make cutting it out worth doing.

Attachments

• IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 228
What all is added? I am curious to changes to tubing sizes etc since all the load paths are different. Like changing a Husky or Pacer to Super Cub type gear.

The picture shows the added lateral arched tube and supporting legs. Attach points are shown as well. Rev 2 builders can choose Cub gear, Porter style gear, or Grove's Cessna style gear.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 213
Those are the obvious things. I am wondering if tubes had to be added, beefed up etc. I have seen what Eddie Trimmer had to add to the Pacer fuselage and what Burl Rogers had to do to the Husky fuselage to add the Super Cub gear. Curious what had to be done here?

We cut out one tube in order to be able to get the control column out...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The plan is to have mine, the new yellow one and the new 4 place at Osh. I'm really anxious to do a side by side on them bothj

akt

That rear baggage door wants me to cut my fabric... And the killer flaps are kelling me...

With all those dinero$ invested, paint job could be better, but black is a difficult color. Looks like a very nice airplane to me.
Can't wait to see some nice video.

Thanks for sharing

Backcountry Supercubs Rev 2 #2 update...

Just a quick update on Jeff Lafore's new Rev 2.
Now a little over 12 hours into the forty.
We were thrilled with CHT values far below what we had hoped for, #4 is the hottest at 382F(!!!) The new BCSC/Scion Aviation/Apex Engineering team effort yielded a win we could not have hoped for. We have been consistently in high 90's in WY this week, and right out of the box solved this problem area. Unfortunately, we were not so lucky in the Oil Temp category. The NACA scoop that worked so well on the SQ 2 we used as a test bed failed pretty miserably. After several days of experimenting, we finally moved the cooler to the area in front of the #2 Cylinder and got the temps down to the 205ish, which we are happy with given the OAT. Tomorrow we will begin doing some envelope expansion and start stacking in the weight.
The Porter style gear work fantastic. They suck up descent energy like a black hole sucks up light. If you have flown a trailing link suspension, you get the idea. There is a slight bump as the shocks return to normal extension a second or so after you plop down, (the valving may need to be slowed down a touch, we will work that out with Tony during OSH). The center pivot was a big concern in R&D, but in use seems to be a non issue. I can't wait to see how the new BCSC Boss performs with this gear.
The Monster Tail shock also seems to be way too good to be true If you haven't seen the vid of the drop test from 10 feet, it was pretty cool!
Jeff opined that the tailwheel may be the most abused area on the plane in back country ops. This new system may do wonders for rear section of the air frames longevity.
299WY is on track to be at our booth at OSH, as will the Boss airframe.
Look forward to seeing you there!
Ross

Craig Catto told me a little over a year ago that he was working on the cowl/baffle design on the SQ series at Llano last year. Did that fall through?

Catto stepped away from the cowl project about a year ago. Ross took it over and builds the cowls in house. AkTahoe's plane has a custom cowl as he was ahead of everyone and the cowl hadn't been made yet. Kevin had to adjust the airflow to manage cylinder temps (hot rodded O-360). This new plane has the first BCSC cowl on an operating Rev 2. It's reasonable to expect a learning curve. With parallel valve engines guys have fought high CHTs. I'm surprised given the angle valve IO-400s cool CHT-hot oil temp reputation that the effort went into a plenum rather than oil cooling. I can't wait to see how my cowl works. As long as the Rev 2 community keeps talking the builds that follow should have an easier time with engine cooling.

Nice plane, Jeff. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Airflow interest was based on parallel valve engines and the SQ family's CHT history. Most of the Rev 2s will likely use the IO-400 so the priorities need to be shifted around a bit. Guys need to build in appropriate cooling for the motors they're using.

Back