• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Amphibs for a J3

Jan Berghoff

Can anyone tell me if anyone makes certified amphibs for a J3 cub? I have a 1946 J3 and I would like to install amphibs. I believe Legend makes some but I believe they are only certified for the Legend Cub, correct?

Thanks,
Jan;-);-)

Bauman A1500s would be about the only certified amphibious that would fit. Out of production, and the installation was never approved that I'm aware of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend that tried to get the Baumans approved for a J-3. He is an IA, very knowledgeable and very experienced. He was not able to get the approval. I don't think you would have much useful load even if you could manage to get an approval. You might contact Aerocett. I believe they have the smallest and lightest set of amphibs. They are using them with the Cub Crafters light sport acft.
Best of luck Jan

Bill

Not a J-3 but I got a set of Baumann 1500 Amphibs field approved on my PA-11. I bought a set and we were doing the testing to get the approval fot the cubs when Baumann went tits up luckily the fsdo was great to work with and another year and a half we got a field approval. there is a you tube video in greenville maine of me competing against a 85 stroker t-craft owned by a friend. video is (Greenville Maine International Sea Plane fly in 2010). Take off is at the 3:00 minute mark My 11 is powered by a c-90. Glenn I take it you're doing OK.

Not a J-3 but I got a set of Baumann 1500 Amphibs field approved on my PA-11. I bought a set and we were doing the testing to get the approval fot the cubs when Baumann went tits up luckily the fsdo was great to work with and another year and a half we got a field approval. there is a you tube video in greenville maine of me competing against a 85 stroker t-craft owned by a friend. video is (Greenville Maine International Sea Plane fly in 2010). Take off is at the 3:00 minute mark My 11 is powered by a c-90. Glenn I take it you're doing OK.

I'm moving forward and feeling better. Wheres the video of when the little girl in the Citabria whoops you 8)

https://youtu.be/9F6AJNIpx98

Glenn

Last edited:
The little girl in the Citabria (Barb) beat Mike I got beaten by the girl in the J-3 :oops:. In 10 Darin Hart beat me in Dick Parsons Legend also.

Until someone makes some lightweight composite amphib floats for lightweight aircraft I'd simply stick with 1320s. And keep it light....

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Ahh grasshopper, you must make sure to be on the PK Floats tour n Sat Aug 5 for good things will come to those who have carbon fiber dreams

jim

Until someone makes some lightweight composite amphib floats for lightweight aircraft I'd simply stick with 1320s. And keep it light....

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back