• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

trim indicator stuck

vj88

Anchorage, AK
Good Morning,

My pa-18 trim indicator is stuck all the way forward. Started peaking into it in the field and wanted a little more info before I tried to repair. I have found a few posts discussing removing the trim handle and cover however nothing discussing the trim indicator that moves forward and back indicating where the trim is set. Also my trim handle is cracked and needs to be replaced. Currently it has a cotter pin securing it on.

VJ
You most likely broke the cable to the indicator and the spring is pulling it forward. Look at the inspection covers at the tail and you will see the small wire running up and over the pulley. If it broke at the pulley you can fix it from the back. I should be out at Birchwood today working on my plane. Hanger next to front door of airframes stop buy if you are out.
DENNY

check PM

I agree with the broken trim indicator wire. Usually its a solid stainless wire and it breaks where it makes the 90 over the front of the H.stab. I recently had it happen, and replaced that segment with a piece of 1/16 braided-coated cable.

supercub1999 what specific part is it or will all of those ford handles work?

It was the trim indicator wire. I have one now and just need to fix. No metal belly/cleanout pan so should be fun!

You could try a butt splice with solder or very small heat shrink tube and pull it from the back.
DENNY

Hi all. I was putting the side panel on the Cub that's now owned by a friend and I lost the little indicator. (red arrow that points up)

Where would I purchase another? I did look at Univar site but it didn't jump out at me.

Cheers.

Hi all. I was putting the side panel on the Cub that's now owned by a friend and I lost the little indicator. (red arrow that points up)

On our SuperCub the indicator is more of a dome and is attached to the indicator bar (held by spring at front end and indicator cable at the back).

Your indicator (red arrow) might have been a "modification". Univair have the bar/indicator listed here:

http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-j-3/view-all/u41121-000-piper-stabilizer-indicator/

Kind regards

Stew

Back