Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Utility Interior in 185

Post Thanks / Like

Utility Interior in 185

Hey Guys,

I have been hearing lots about people doing excellent jobs on stripped down, utility interior looks and I am wondering if people have pictures and examples of great work in this area?

Thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes pzinck, FdxLou, Ruffair, skywagonboy, cub12 and 4 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Stewart for that link. Looks awesome. What did you use for insulation on the inside of the skins? My 185 has all the plastic still installed. It is in good shape for the most part with some cracking starting to happen. I have been considering getting them fixed but then I started to think about the idea of going really light.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the foam panels that interlock for floor cushioning in daycare/ preschools. It meets federal fire codes, about a 1/2" thick and spray glued into place under the factory panels . Stuffed pices into the doors. My plane had been sitting in a open grass field for several years so mice etc. got in and it stunk. This foam doesn't make nest for critters also. Stops a lot of vibrations also.

Post Thanks / Like
    1/4" or 5/16" upholstery foam, not sure. Not rigid but not floppy, either. I got a roll from my local upholstery shop and cut to shape less a little clearance and the shop applied fabric to the foam panels, then I adhered them to the plane. 7 years of outside parking, no sign of any condensation or corrosion issues. I'd do it again the same way. Covering the aft door posts was the only tricky part. The forward wing root covers and door panels (Plane Plastics) are the only plastic parts left, and the door panels got upholstered. I removed the front heat ducts at the firewall and left them out so I didn't need the front knee panels. Some guys upholster those and keep them. I don't miss the ducts.

CAR 3 airplane so I had/have no concerns about part 23 flame resistance requirements.
    Last edited by stewartb; 07-12-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    ....I removed the front heat ducts at the firewall and left them out so I didn't need the front knee panels.....
    Are you talking about the duct (plenum, actually) that runs horizontally across the firewall?
    So the cabin air/heat box just blows through the firewall into the cabin?
    Or are you talking about the ducts off the ends of that plenum that are meant to provide rear seat heat?
    Maybe you could post a photo?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagonboy View Post
    I have been hearing lots about people doing excellent jobs on stripped down, utility interior looks and I am wondering if people have pictures and examples of great work in this area? Thanks Mark
    Lots of photos of modified interiors like you describe on the backcountrypilot.org forum.
    Unfortunately they are kinda scattered through the various threads.
    Here's a quick google for images, you can click on the photos and select "visit page" to read up on the ones you like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=back...w=1366&bih=652
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    DSC00178.jpgDSC00180.jpg

Here are a couple interior pics from my redo in 2012. That's Selkirk foam on the sides. It's help up well for five years with the exception of a rat that built a nest under one of my seats one week. That little punk chewed on some of the foam but it's not too noticeable until I point it out, and then you'll see it every time!
    Likes stewartb, Rob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowmover, did you remove your headliner, too?

Removing the window channels, headliner arch hangars, and headliner tooth strips is the most difficult part of the interior mod. Its a great time to replace windscreen and windows but that makes it a more labor intensive and more expensive project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
    DSC00178.jpgDSC00180.jpg

Here are a couple interior pics from my redo in 2012. That's Selkirk foam on the sides. It's help up well for five years with the exception of a rat that built a nest under one of my seats one week. That little punk chewed on some of the foam but it's not too noticeable until I point it out, and then you'll see it every time!
    SWEET! Whats the flooring?
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 07-16-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I did replace the original headliner with an Airtex wool headliner. It looks good, but I think if I had it to do over again I would have just painted the ceiling instead. Flooring is Lonseal Loncoin. I also like it and it protects the floorboards, but it is heavy (15-20 lbs to cover the whole floor). If I did it again, I would consider putting some non-skid down where needed.

Last thing I would have done differently is thought more about cargo restraint. I use the aft seat belt attach points and bought some tie down points that fit on seat rails. But I do not have a floor-to-ceiling net to keep items from coming forward if I go over on my back. I think that's a good capability, even though I don't haul a lot of cargo.

One of these years I'm going to put folding rear seats in, and I might put that cargo net in when I do.