Thread: L-21 Javron

Post Thanks / Like

L-21 Javron

Let the fun begin
    Got the kit home on July 1st A Javron wide body L-21 with a couple little mods
    Just sorting everything out the first night

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin!
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! Congrats on the kit's arrival!

Every time I see one of these kits arrive I sorta wish I had bought a kit instead of just the plans...but then I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot with a plans build too. Best of luck!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the work begin and the money flow! Fun stuff. Enjoy.
    Likes tcraft128 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Some progress
    Overhead Trim installed, Interior panels ready for some type of covering mostly

DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    We're in Michigan are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CuBob View Post
    We're in Michigan are you located?
    C04. Oceana County

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also building about she same thing I am curious how your seat base fits in the frame,and I would test your fuel tanks with av gas for about a week the blue die finds the leaks I have now gotten three leaking tanks and one non leaky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    I am also building about she same thing I am curious how your seat base fits in the frame,and I would test your fuel tanks with av gas for about a week the blue die finds the leaks I have now gotten three leaking tanks and one non leaky
    I noticed your other posts on this subject and find this disturbing. Did you visually check ALL of the welded joints? What did they look like? A good visual check will often point out a potential leak location. Second, when you have a question you can pressurize the tank with a maximum of 3-5 psi air. Then with a soapy water solution brush over all the seams, look for minute air bubbles.

Frankly I'm shocked that you have three bad tanks from Javron. Where were your leaks located? In a weld or a threaded joint?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at KBIV. It would be fun to fly up and see your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    Sorry about your issues Chinook.
    Since I have only had my kit for 2 weeks now I haven't checked everything but I have mounted my seat base Whitehall fit perfectly well after trimming about .117 off the flap handle.
    this is my first build so I really don't know what to expect but it is a Kit. I for one will fit check, trim, adjust, and repeat until I am happy.

i have worked on certified aircraft for like 30 years and I would say that this kit is very high quality. I don't expect everything to bolt together perfectly. I for one will thank Jay for putting these kits together for us, I don't know Jay very well but from what I can see he is one of those honest stand up guys that will do whatever it takes to make it right

so chinook please start a thread of your own. And I'll post there if I run into any Issues
    Likes dgapilot, phdigger123, NoCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CuBob View Post
    I am at KBIV. It would be fun to fly up and see your progress.
    Any time Cubob. I'm building at home about 12 miles from airport
    ill send you a PM with my number

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I noticed your other posts on this subject and find this disturbing. Did you visually check ALL of the welded joints? What did they look like? A good visual check will often point out a potential leak location. Second, when you have a question you can pressurize the tank with a maximum of 3-5 psi air. Then with a soapy water solution brush over all the seams, look for minute air bubbles.

Frankly I'm shocked that you have three bad tanks from Javron. Where were your leaks located? In a weld or a threaded joint?
    All the leaks are in welds most are in the spot welds holding the baffling in the tank one one tank it is also on the seams on the side I did a pressure test to two pounds but it was when I added Av gas in that I found the leaks

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I will be following this build as well. When I finish my cub rebuild I am going to be starting on a scratch built experimental!

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress, have been working on the fuel system.

IMG_1682 (1).JPG

IMG_1684 (1).JPG

So one question I have The line with the yellow tape on it, what is the best way to make this connection?
    I see some with a fitting and some with rubber line any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    I like aluminum fittings and used them 100% on my Cub. Piper used rubber hose with a clamp on each end. If the clamp isn't tight there is the possibility of a leak. Rubber hose can deteriorate so when the connection is in a blind area there will always be some doubt.
    N1PA