• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

206 door damage

bob turner

A buddy had the right rear door fling open in flight, and asked me to look at it. I need some opinions.

The door and hinges suffered only light damage, but the fuselage was not so lucky. At the top, the bulkhead just aft of the rear window is buckled inward about a half inch. At the mid-bottom, the horizontal stringer and maybe a diagonal is buckled inward about a half inch.

I consider this major damage, but believe the aircraft is ferriable. Its owner has talked about a copilot door, and if there is ever to be a time, this is it.

I think it is safe to ferry without reinforcement, but want experienced opinions. I know that it flies straight, but cannot tell you why I know that.

Hi Bob, if you give me a couple of days I'll have the ans. For you. Things are a little crazy at the moment but I'll be working around or on some 206-7's and I'll ask the old mechanics. If you would send me a couple of pic's that would help. The door mod is very expensive, in the neighborhood of $25,000, if you are talking about the right front. T.hines1at hot mail . Com.

Thanks. It looks really bad to me, but we are having a sheet metal artist take a look. Second mechanic to look at it was not as horrified as I.

Bob, to get a ferry permit, you'll need to have a mechanic inspect it and sign the ferry permit anyway. I'd just talk to your local mechanic, ask him/her if they'll sign the ferry permit application, and proceed as appropriate.

MTV

A buddy had the right rear door fling open in flight, and asked me to look at it. I need some opinions.

The door and hinges suffered only light damage, but the fuselage was not so lucky. At the top, the bulkhead just aft of the rear window is buckled inward about a half inch. At the mid-bottom, the horizontal stringer and maybe a diagonal is buckled inward about a half inch.

I consider this major damage, but believe the aircraft is ferriable. Its owner has talked about a copilot door, and if there is ever to be a time, this is it.

I think it is safe to ferry without reinforcement, but want experienced opinions. I know that it flies straight, but cannot tell you why I know that.

Is this a mutual buddy? The one that has always has to hold his mouth just right to get the rear door shut?

sj

Hi Bob, asked this morning and the local A&P said no big deal, not a bad job. Yours sound like it will need some metal and paint not just a few taps but doable. Happens up here, not every day but happens. If you need anything PM me parts are readily available here.

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes. SJ - not sure - there are several 206s around here. I think you know two of them.

It looked horrible to me - and I have a degree in mechanical engineering and an IA. But more knowledgable folks put my mind at ease.

Funny the 206 doesn't have some fail safe interlock. That door really waffled the side - biggest dent is a half foot behind the rearmost point of impact. Probably scared the crap out of the passenger!

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes. SJ - not sure - there are several 206s around here. I think you know two of them.

It looked horrible to me - and I have a degree in mechanical engineering and an IA. But more knowledgable folks put my mind at ease.

Funny the 206 doesn't have some fail safe interlock. That door really waffled the side - biggest dent is a half foot behind the rearmost point of impact. Probably scared the crap out of the passenger!

no amount of fail safe switches will replace paying attention to the hooks when you close

no amount of fail safe switches will replace paying attention to the hooks when you close

What he said. That door is very positive when properly latched. I NEVER allow a passenger or other person to secure that door, though. The latch outside should be removed, leaving an Allen wrench fitting. Pilot carries the Allen wrench. Nobody else secures that door.

Then we know who the guilty party is....

MTV

What he said. That door is very positive when properly latched. I NEVER allow a passenger or other person to secure that door, though. The latch outside should be removed, leaving an Allen wrench fitting. Pilot carries the Allen wrench. Nobody else secures that door.

Then we know who the guilty party is....

MTV

Yep. I didn't want to be "that guy" to first point the finger (good 'Ol George) but I've latched a few 206 doors myself and they're tight as a frog's bottom.

Back