• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Helicopter helmet plug to general aviation

streetreamer

Keweenaw, MI
I picked up a gentex helmet and another noise cancelling headset that are set up with the helicopter plug which is only one plug. I then ordered an adapter to convert it to the General aviation standard two plug. I can hear on both but I can't talk. Does anyone have any experience with this? My friend said when he used these they had the option of selecting a push to talk or a voice activated mode. Has anyone converted a headset like this and can you tell me what I need to do to make it work or if it'll work?

The standard adapter has just the audio hi/lo and mic hi/lo wired in, with no PTT.

When you say that you can't talk, do you mean on the intercom or on the radio? What intercom are you using?

Web

Also.

If these were military helmets, they may still have the low impedance mics still installed.

Web

Im not able to talk through the intercom or radio as it doesn't seem to pick up my voice. My radio is the garmin 250xl. The helmet and headset were used in the military. I didn't change anything. Is it possible to use a low impedance mic or is it simple to change? Im kind of ignorant on the topic but will try to learn anything.

Sounds like you still have a low impedance set up. You'll need two 600 ohm speakers and a high impedance mic. The speakers can be a pain but the mic itself shouldn't be hard to switch. If you can send me a pic of the mic, I can help you find the correct replacement.

Web

Go to Gibson and Barnes website. Look at mic 5060-4. Then look at two, E972 earphone speakers. Those should get your helmet up and running. I'd have to see some more info on your headset, but it is usually easier to just get a high impedance headset than convert one.

Web

If either of these will be used exclusively in a solo operation (like in a single seat ag aircraft) you can get by just changing the mic out. The speakers will work just fine, until you plug in another headset with low impendance speakers in it. Then your's will likely hog all the juice, and you'll still hear fine but your pax will not.
I have actually used high impedance speakers in ag helmet applications because I can squeeze a little more volume out of them.

Take care, Rob

One more thing, for what you are going to pay for speakers, you will be most of the way to converting to ANR with a headsets inc kit. Which I highly recommend of the money / effort involved.

Take care, Rob

Back