Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diet and Associated Health: Facts, Opinions and Somewhere In Between

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading up about insulin resistance and low carb/high fat data for the past decade (Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" book is what got me going...and he probably published the most controversial article in the history of the New York Times). I've followed some of the recommendations to eat less carbs/starch/sugar and made good progress on the bad cholestrol front , but I am pretty thin anyways ...so it doesn't matter what I eat...I've stayed the same weight and size since high school (I'm late 30s now). One interesting thing I found is that exercise did not make a difference for me. If anything, it caused me to eat more because I was hungry all the time. I've increased my carb intake , and having a kid has made it even more difficult to stay disciplined. I've seen too many people go cold turkey when trying to change their diet and I believe that's a recipe for disaster. Just decrease your sugar intake....instead of drinking a coke a day, try it every other day...and once you master that, decrease it even further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina Young View Post
    ...here is some good background hard copy reading material for those who want to learn more.....
    - The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung - I bought this book last year not because of weight loss (I have never been overweight) but to better understand insulin resistance and how insulin affects metabolism. Great book for those who do need or want to lose weight however. No matter how much you exercise, you can't outrun your hormones! ....
    JUst recently borrowed this book through the local library and have started reading it.
    I'm more into novel readers than non-fiction,
    but Fung writes well and it's pretty easy to read.

Might have to read "Keto Clarity" next.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Big headlines about this very topic today in New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/w...ver-carbs.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a recent (August) entertaining and informative interview of Dr. Dominic D'Agostino by Joe Rogan, explaining what the ketogenic diet is, why and when anyone would want to do it, and the major scientific research that is currently underway with keto right now for all sorts of medical issues - everything from Alzheimers to cancer and wound healing. Dr. D'Agostino is a leading scientific researcher in both the neuroscience and cancer fields with keto. Much of his research is funded by the U.S. Navy and NASA. This interview is long (almost 3 hours!) but not boring at all... they cover lots of fascinating stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those interested in reversing diabetes and/or obesity, this is a recent paper published in the journal Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome about a small random controlled trial (30 people) of people with metabolic syndrome. They were divided into 3 randomly assigned groups - a group put on a ketogenic diet with no exercise, a group that continued the standard American diet but added 30 min of exercise daily (3-5 days a week), and a control group that continued with the standard American diet and no exercise.

Link to actual paper: https://www.docdroid.net/AlZnmch/ket...of-obesity.pdf

Link to PubMed overview: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28433617

Abstract:

A worsening epidemic of diabetes and its precursor, metabolic syndrome (MetS) is engulfing America. A healthy individual, with proper glucose regulation has an ability to switch between burning fat and carbohydrates. It has been suggested that signaling errors within this homeostatic system, characterized by impaired switching of substrate oxidation from glucose to fat in response to insulin, can contribute to the etiology of metabolic syndrome and occurs before the development of type II diabetes. Glucose regulation with restored insulin sensitivity facilitated through clinically regulated, benign dietary ketosis (BDK), may significantly reduce, regulate and reverse the adverse pathologies common to MetS and obesity. The study assessed if prolonged maintenance of induced and controlled physiological, dietary ketosis, would reverse pathological processes induced by MetS including a reduction in fasting triglycerides, BMI (body mass index) and body fat mass (BFM), weight, a significant decrease and/or normalization of hemoglobin A1c (HgA1c) and an increase in resting metabolic rate (RMR) and blood ketones. A group of 30 adults, previously diagnosed with MetS by their primary care physician, were randomly prescribed to one of three groups: a sustained ketogenic diet with no exercise, standard American diet (SAD) with no exercise or SAD with 3-5 days per week of exercise (30 min.). The results demonstrated that the change over time from week 0 to week 10 was significant (p=0.001) in the ketogenic group for weight, body fat percentage, BMI, HgA1c and ketones. All variables for the ketogenic group out-performed those of the exercise and non-exercise groups, with five of the seven demonstrating statistical significance.
    I thought these were pretty striking results, given the fact that 10 weeks isn't really even enough to get fat-adapted at the mitochondrial level.
    Thanks 180Marty, Andy505 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an entertaining presentation to a British cardiology conference in London last week (BACPR) by engineer Ivor Cummins on the root cause of heart disease - essentially the same as diabetes (hyperinsulinemia & insulin resistance). I really think the world is beginning to wake up to the cholesterol fraud that's been pushed on people. That means there's a lot of hope, and I'm very optimistic. These things don't get corrected overnight when there's a multibillion dollar industry (statins) riding on the truth being buried. But eventually the truth does come out...

Thanks Andy505 thanked for this post
    Likes 180Marty, nanook liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I finally finished reading "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung MD.
    He's one of those writers who never uses 3 words if 15 words will suffice.
    Anyway, what I took away from reading it is:
    1) reduce intake of (added) sugars
    2) reduce intake of refined grains
    3) moderate intake of proteins (should be 20-30% of total calories)
    4) increase intake of natural fats
    5) increase intake of fiber & vinegar
    Also, periodic fasting is good to control insulin resistance.
    He gives sample weekly schedule for 24 hours (nothing between dinner one night, and dinner the next night)
    and 36 hour (nothing between dinner one night, and breakfast 2 days later) fasts.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Thanks 180Marty, Christina Young thanked for this post
    Likes JP, fobjob, Christina Young liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Dr. Fung's style, and enjoy his videos immensely. He always injects a healthy dose of common sense into a very entertaining and humorous delivery. My favorite quote of his is, "the human body is NOT stupid!"

FWIW, I have personally found that it is easy to get kicked out of ketosis if you eat more than a moderate amount of protein (I blood test at home all the time). 30% sounds a bit on the high side to me, I try to keep it at 20% or less. But everyone's different (and I work out regularly). Any excess protein above what the body needs for cellular repair and maintenance is "gluconeogenesized" to glucose. The only real way to know how much is "too much" is to do some blood testing and see how your body responds. Of course, you don't need to be as strict as I am about protein to realize metabolic health benefits from a high fat low carb lifestyle.
    Thanks Damien thanked for this post
    Likes OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This came out yesterday from the CDC... just pathetic. Over 70% of Americans now are either overweight or obese, with 40% obese.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...t-says-n810231
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...nsidered-obese

It is easy to visually confirm this - just go to any public gathering, Walmart, etc. Huge, fat guts everywhere. It is very sad.

It doesn't have to be like this, and obesity is just a symptom of metabolic syndrome (perhaps more properly called insulin resistance syndrome). It is exploding our national health costs from related ailments - diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, cancer, etc etc etc. Over 100 years ago these things were uncommon. They started a "hockey stick" rise around the 1970s & 1980s, coinciding with the introduction of the USDA food pyramid and the war on dietary fat and cholesterol.

The good news is it's real simple to fix obesity, and you don't even really have to exercise because this is primarily a hormonal problem (although it helps). Just cut out the grains (even the "heart healthy whole grains"), cut out the starches, cut out the sugars (even "natural" sugars like honey - or limit it to when you raid a beehive like our ancestors did), and especially cut out the dangerous inflammatory seed oils like canola, corn, soy, peanut, etc.

Replace all that stuff with natural saturated and monounsaturated fats for energy, like butter, cream, beef tallow, lard and olive oil. What our great grandparents ate.

I just hope that we can get this under control - otherwise this is going to bankrupt our nation.
    Thanks utb 44E, super stol thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a, OldCuby, nanook liked this post