• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another why not to use ethanol gas

This another reason I am cautious about ethanol gas

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I burned about 1000gls of ethanol gas when that was all I could get. I didn't have any problems except for a drip in the model A fuel gauge in the seat tank that I kept fixing. But I was flying every couple days. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the plane sat during that time and the weather was wet the whole time. When I got It out to go flying I could only get about 1500rpm WOT. I thought that the muffler was plugged with a nest or had collapsed? I got a clear qt jar and drained some gas and out in the light I could see it was cloudy. Drained the tank and filled with new ethanol gas and it ran fine. I burned ethanol gas for the next 2 years but only with Startron added to it and never had any problems again. I carry a bottle of Starton in my floatplanes because sometimes ethanol gas is all I can find while traveling.

Glenn

Do your pickup trucks have the same problem? Or is it a function of the size and shape of the tank itself?

I have not had fuel contamination problems for over four decades. Granted, I fly every day, but my Mustang convertibles get run once a week, and sometimes sit for several months with deadly auto gas in the tank and carb. They do not seem to care . . .

Bob, is the cap the only vent or does the fuel tank also have a vent. If you figure out where the vent is, just seal it between use. If there is not air coming and going, your problem should be solved. Like I said in the other post, the E10 fuel and oil I just mowed the grass with was mixed last Sept but the plastic jug it was in is sealed so when it was zero degrees this winter it was sucked in as the air cooled. Come spring it looked like a normal jug. If you're worried about your tank blowing out or sucking in, put a balloon over the vents.

For vehicles designed for ethanol it works great they have a sealed fuel system. for vehicles that have carburetors not so great used it in my 560 tractor and let it sit for a while ruined my carburetor. My 2004 Chevy pick up runs great on it my 1972 Ford pick up runs like crap on it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

My Mustangs are 1964 and 1966. I pay no attention to fuel vents, and find a carb overhaul necessary about every 20 years. Carb kits are getting scarce - usually the accelerator diaphragm goes out.

The hose between fuel pump and carb used to be a problem, but lately I have not seen one fail. They are under pressure. The same size hose is made for Corvette fuel injection, and that hose is bulletproof. I use it under AC 23-27 for the Cubs. It was $7 a foot 15 years ago.

Again, how come your pickups are not all stacked up alongside the road with plugged fuel filters? How come they no longer have gascolators?

Thanks Bob, I misread your post before and now understand your experience is similar to mine!!!!

Back