• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing recover

normally??

or what I do?
  1. all steel parts removed sent for blasting, inspection, powder coating
  2. all hardware removed is replaced
  3. wing measured & trammed
  4. ribs replaced as needed
  5. hanger blocks replaced or repaired as needed
  6. new leading edge from Univair blanks since it's already removed(and is less time/$$ then cleaning and bondoing old junk..
  7. maybe replace trailing edge if bad shape...
  8. maybe prime leading and trailing edge to help prevent corrosion..
  9. hang and align flaps and ailerons with wing in proper twisted position
  10. replace tip wood bow
  11. replace lighting wires
  12. add Atlee Hurricane tie downs if not already installed
  13. extend top leading edge back 14"~ if wanted..

thats the pre fabric 2 minute thoughts...

normally??

or what I do?
  1. all steel parts removed sent for blasting, inspection, powder coating
  2. all hardware removed is replaced
  3. wing measured & trammed
  4. ribs replaced as needed
  5. hanger blocks replaced or repaired as needed
  6. new leading edge from Univair blanks since it's already removed(and is less time/$$ then cleaning and bondoing old junk..
  7. maybe replace trailing edge if bad shape...
  8. maybe prime leading and trailing edge to help prevent corrosion..
  9. hang and align flaps and ailerons with wing in proper twisted position
  10. replace tip wood bow
  11. replace lighting wires
  12. add Atlee Hurricane tie downs if not already installed
  13. extend top leading edge back 14"~ if wanted..

thats the pre fabric 2 minute thoughts...

Mike can you still get the leading edge extension approved? I was led to believe that they wouldn't allow it anymore without engineering. (This has been several years ago now).
My 180 cub has it and I sure like it!

I think Mike's enjoying the freedom of the experimental category. I know I am!

Before.

64d18f596c456014b77970241ad32e46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
If you can get the leading edge extension approved, do it! It's worth it's weight in platinum!

I had a friend that did one of the leading edge extensions years ago. Prior to the work he had done some slow flight competition alongside a buddy of his and they were about at the same speeds.
After the change he could stay in the air when his buddy was stalled out. This was prior to using VGs.
He said that it made a big improvement in flight characteristics. Both had stock round tip wings.

I did several mods to mine plus VGs at the same time so it was hard to say what helped the most but lift was better. The changes caused the tail to not be as effective as it used to be. I then added the VGs to the stabilizer which helped.

Another side benefit is that when the Ravens use my cub to have lunch on they don't poke holes through the fabric anymore.... :up

Stewart: I think that I am about ready to go the Exp. Route myself.

I like it for sweeping wings. The area where metal is added is where snow gets crusty and stubborn. It's the place where the ribs are the most vulnerable to damage from a broom. It's also the place on the plane where I have the most leverage and the least control of my broom. I appreciate the added reinforcement.

Here's a good old thread that discussed wing covering. It's worth the read.
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?23767-Bad-Fabric-Scallopson-Wing-Help

Last edited:
Lots of exp Cub stuff happens that doesn't surface here. I know of guys who've tried bands of pre-shrunk fabric between ribs and other guys who mimicked that using 3-4" carbon fiber strips to bridge between ribs. From what I heard neither proved worth the effort. I believe 8856Charlie has customers who've used carbon sheet to extend the leading edges like the aluminum in the picture. I wonder how that's worked? It seems like lots of guys favor minimizing the fabric scallop.

I like it for sweeping wings. The area where metal is added is where snow gets crusty and stubborn. It's the place where the ribs are the most vulnerable to damage from a broom. It's also the place on the plane where I have the most leverage and the least control of my broom. I appreciate the added reinforcement.

Here's a good old thread that discussed wing covering. It's worth the read.
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?23767-Bad-Fabric-Scallopson-Wing-Help

I had forgotten that old thread and especially the part about the fabric not shrinking equally.

I checked the polyfiber manual which was last revised a year after the posting and they basically said the same thing about the scollops in the fabric. They suggested the medium weight if you don't want to see them and advised that using the heavy weight fabric with the blanket method would produce scollops.
Their recommendation was that if you wanted to use the heavy wt. then to consider an envelope which would run the fabric cord wise.

I have a set of wings that are ready to cover and I think that I'm going to do a bit of sewing.... (Well maybe the wife will)
I never liked seeing the seams in the wing fabric but.... Oh well. Piper did some of the worst ones. Ive seen as many as 5 splices on one wing; with some only a couple feet apart, and running cockeyed. Piper didn't waste any fabric.

I did several mods to mine plus VGs at the same time so it was hard to say what helped the most but lift was better. The changes caused the tail to not be as effective as it used to be. I then added the VGs to the stabilizer which helped.

Watched your cub come out of the north pothole Lake Hood last Friday. Hands down one of the best performing cubs on floats I have seen. Great job Ed!

Mark

I am getting PA12 wings with flaps ready for recover. When I removed the leading edges for replacement I found these loose metal parts underneath. They were only attached by tape. Are they supposed to be there?
IMG_1235.JPG
When I removed the stock tank I compared the offset of the DCA part that is to the rear of the tank, I noticed that is was quite a bit smaller. It is on this offset that the tank and antichaffe strip sits. Do I have the wrong part? It is also longer than the original part. Any help with these issues would be helpful.
IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.JPGIMG_1242.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 194
That reinforcement under the leading edge was used under 3003 aluminum outboard 3/4 skins. When Piper went to 2024-T3 skins on the Tri-Pacer and Super Cub they eleminated the reinforcement.

I would call Dakota Cub on the false spar. Might be for their tank installation. Talk to Brian.

The aileron hangers had an external reinforcement on the outside of the trailing edge as well as the internal side. The flap hangers which were added at a later time to add flaps did not have the external reinforcements. Do they also need external reinforcements? This is on an experimental PA12.

The Super Cub has a reinforcement on the inside of the inboard flap hinge, that is all. Do you have the Northland Drawing CD. Lots of good information there.

The aileron hangers had an external reinforcement on the outside of the trailing edge as well as the internal side. The flap hangers which were added at a later time to add flaps did not have the external reinforcements. Do they also need external reinforcements? This is on an experimental PA12.

you need the external reinforcement with the Day and Night flap STC... the INTERNAL ones are not required/superseded(Aileron also) I throw them away, they are REPLACED by that external one, per the AD on -12 Aileron hangers...

http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0107.pdf

I had forgotten that old thread and especially the part about the fabric not shrinking equally.

I checked the polyfiber manual which was last revised a year after the posting and they basically said the same thing about the scollops in the fabric. They suggested the medium weight if you don't want to see them and advised that using the heavy weight fabric with the blanket method would produce scollops.
Their recommendation was that if you wanted to use the heavy wt. then to consider an envelope which would run the fabric cord wise.

I have a set of wings that are ready to cover and I think that I'm going to do a bit of sewing.... (Well maybe the wife will)
I never liked seeing the seams in the wing fabric but.... Oh well. Piper did some of the worst ones. Ive seen as many as 5 splices on one wing; with some only a couple feet apart, and running cockeyed. Piper didn't waste any fabric.

Update: So I did just that... Using the heavy weight fabric we sewed the three strips together and using the old methods of attachments at the trailing edge. The difference in scalloping between the blanket method and this was amazing!
The photos below is of a cub covered with the heavy fabric in the blanket method (glued span size to the leading edge.) The scallops are 5/8 or more between ribs depending on the rib spacing.

With the "envelope type" method on the wing that I just finished in silver, the scallops are 3/32 to 1/8 inch deep as measured with a strait edge over the cap strip reinforcing tapes.

The Red wing is my 180 cub with the 12 inch L.E. extension.

I am no aeronautical engineer but IMO when you allow the vertical cross section of the airfoil to be reduced this way; that there has to be some difference in the lift component.

I would bet that if you did one wing with the blanket method and the other in the envelope; that it would be wing heavy as hell.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 147
Back