• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kydex

snowblind

Z41
Where can you buy Kydex in Anchorage, Alaska.
Need just enough material to cover the lower portion
of the PA-18 Lower Cub door. Do not want see-thru plastic.
Nobody wants to ship the material to Alaska!!!
Thank you
"Snowblind"

CAC Plastic in Wasilla. They've rolled .028" through .060" kydex and mailed to me in Platinum..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liard plastics in Spokane Washington. I can buy 3 SHEETs DELEVERED HERE IN CHUGIAK, For what CAC Chages for ONE SHEET locally

When I did mine 10 years ago I tried .028 and it was too flimsy to be useful so I used .040. If you were to form stiffener ribs into it like MCS Mike has demonstrated you might get enough rigidity with .028. Some guys use .060. For me the choice between 040 and 060 would largely depend on span between attach tabs.

Somewhere in an old thread I had posted the weight of Kydex versus aluminum sheet. Kydex sheet weighs about identical to alclad sheet that's half as thick, if that matters to you.

Found it. From 2003!
Some very interesting weight information, especially knowing most guys think Kydex is heavy.

.016 alclad aluminum- .23# per square foot
.020 alclad aluminum- .29#

.028 Kydex- .197#
.040 Kydex- .281#

Aluminum weight per Hadco Aluminum's website.
Kydex weight per Kleerdex Corp. customer service (phone).
Kleerdex is the manufacturer of Kydex.

SB

Last edited:
.060 - more rigid, won't get that wavy look on large panels, accepts/holds screws better - trim/fuel valve cover plates etc -
re weight: couple oz. more than original interior panels but worth the penalty in durability and appearance.

Back