• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Pilot-Tips and places to go around Kenai Peninsula in a PA-18?

YoungCub

Hello Pilots,
I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself. I may be a little out of place here, but I am in love with everything 'aviation' and stumbled across this gem while monkeying around online. I am a Private Pilot as of last year with an Instrument Rating. TT=120Hrs mostly in a C172. (The dreaded nose dragger) I have recently received my Tailwheel endorsement in an Aeronca 7EC Champ. I have about 7 hours total tailwheel time. So far I have enjoyed the simple difficulty of the tail dragger.

With that being said, I will be up in Kenai, AK for the month of July, 2017. I am sure there is a thread on this site about places to fly to in the area, but as a newbie I would love to be informed about the must-see destinations. Humor me with your knowledge and experience.

I will have access to a Piper PA-18 on 29s. Before I scare you, I want to inform you that I will be accompanied during flight with the owner of the aircraft. The owner undoubtedly has the experience to wander Alaska. So I will be taking in as much info from this fella as possible, but I would like to have a better grip on Alaska before I get there. Any input or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I will attempt to document the flying I do and post on this website.

Blake.

Blake,
So is the owner of said aircraft from the Kenai peninsula?/ If so he should know all the great spots to travel to and see. IF not then yep holler and we will see what we can steer you too. where will you be based out of PAEN or on a private strip?

Blake,
So is the owner of said aircraft from the Kenai peninsula?/ If so he should know all the great spots to travel to and see. IF not then yep holler and we will see what we can steer you too. where will you be based out of PAEN or on a private strip?

eskflyer,
The owner of said aircraft is not from the Kenai peninsula, although he has many years of experience flying there. I am sure he has destinations under control.
I'm intrigued to the idea of making a choice for the both of us. I guess my lack of knowledge with the surrounding area has sparked my post. I'm thinking this thread might be a dead cause, but I would like to go into this with more knowledge than I currently have.

Private strip out of Kasilof

Thanks for the response,

Blake.

Blake

cross the sound and go through lake Clark pass. Perhaps a stop at Port Alsworth. Circle Mt Redoubt (volcano). Go over to Twin Lakes and you might find a beach/gravel bar to land on so you can go see Dick Proenneke's cabin.
Look up the book (or movie on YouTube) . "Alone in the Wilderness" It is a great story about a guy who built (by hand) a cabin in the wilderness then lived there, alone, for 30 years.

Best regards

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
Blake

cross the sound and go through lake Clark pass. Perhaps a stop at Port Alsworth. Circle Mt Redoubt (volcano). Go over to Twin Lakes and you might find a beach/gravel bar to land on so you can go see Dick Proenneke's cabin.
Look up the book (or movie on YouTube) . "Alone in the Wilderness" It is a great story about a guy who built (by hand) a cabin in the wilderness then lived there, alone, for 30 years.

Best regards

Hope this helps

Bill
Minor correction- the video title is correct but the book title is " One Man's Wilderness " by Sam Keith from Proenneke's journal. The NPS later published additional volumes of Proenneke's journals. Both are fascinating reading.

Blake

Best regards

Hope this helps

Bill
I spent a couple of hours visiting with Dick Proenneke at his cabin swapping stories. That was a memorable afternoon.

Back