• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail wheel Problems

Herc

Big Lake, Alaska
My 3200B will not turn left with the rudder pedals, it will castor to the left with heavy braking application. turning it by hand, it is hard to break into caster turning the wheel to the left and will easily turn to the right without feeling a detent. I am mechanically inclined although I have never worked on an aircraft before. Is a rebuild something I should try or just bring it into a shop?

3200s are pretty simple inside. Get the drawing off the net and check it out. there is also a great video from Steve P. on youtube outlining how to take it apart and what to look for. If you feel comfortable taking a Remington 1100 apart, a scott 3200 will not surprise you (it is spring loaded BTW).

Printed out the drawing and watched the videos. Seems simple enough, hopefully its just a worn out interior part and not something more expensive

Every cub pilot should be comfortable with the workings of the tailwheel. I usually go through both of mine every year, clean and replace parts as needed. The first time you do it it is nice to have someone around that knows what you are looking at. Watch the excellent video that steve made and get some adult supervision the first time or two. Alaska Airframes at Birchwood has all the parts you will need and always willing to answer questions. If you IA is willing to look over you shoulder the first time that is how I would do it. Company just came in last night or I would have you bring it over to my hanger.
DENNY

Thanks Denny, We're adjusting the idle tomorrow after work so maybe I can talk him into staying a little longer.

Tell your mechanic about the tailwheel now. They can turn into a can of worms.

If he shows up expecting to adjust an idle (5minute job maximum) and it turns into a tailwheel rebuild (possibly hours and a handful of parts to procure) you may be on your own.

Take this advice from a mechanic if you will.

I spoke to him about it last night. If he has time great, if not I'll tear it down another day

Back