• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are We Too Picky or What?

-12 rear pedals are different than front pedals

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Did they change something? I don't have much PA12 experience, have done some fuselage repairs to one and I maintain the Crosswind STOL PA12 that was on the cover of Northern Pilot several years ago, but my parts manual shows them the same part number front and rear, L & R is different.

Over the years I have had a few issues with Univair parts. Bought a new throttle panel for a super Cub and it didn't fit is one example. I emailed them with pictures and dimensions and low and behold they got back to me and said their throttle panel fit their frame but when they tried to fit it to a NOS fuselage they have it didn't fit. They changed their part. over the years I have gotten to know Jim Dyer (owner) and Mike one of their engineers just by calling and voicing my concerns. This is a small community and a very helpful one in my opinion depending on how you approach things.

Try to rebuild a -12 using the parts book as your bible and you'll redefine your standards of being picky. Or you won't finish it. One or the other.

Mr. Univair has one of the nicest modified PA-12s I've ever seen. I'm certain that whoever built it hit some bumps in the road just like the rest of us. I expect to see it at the cabin any time now.

I can't imagine trying to build anything just using the parts manual. That is why I collect every drawing I can. I have never found any huge discrepancies in the parts manual however.

Jim does most of his own work except I think someone else does the covering. Not sure about his dad Steve.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

so I got my new tanks and they did not put the tabs for grounding straps so before I can even check for leaks on these tanks I need to get them to a good welding shop tired of being Javrons quality control

I think a ground strap to the fuel tank is a good idea. It seems that having the tank bonded to the airframe rather than having it suspended in felt is smart.

IMG_0594.JPG

If you look close you can see a stranded 14 gauge wire between the two straps in the center. The ends are stripped and kept in tight contact to the tanks by the straps. The CC EX has a grounding lug welded to it on the main tank but the secondary tank didn't and that's the reason for this setup. Maybe today they have a lug on both? Mine is an early one.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
Back