• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brushing or rolling float lacquer?

sportingrifle

Hi All....

I would like to refinish our floats with the standard silver float lacquer. The airplane is hauled out of the water but in a location that makes spraying the paint impractical. Has anyone got nice looking results using a brush and/or roller? And if using a roller, what kind did you use that the float lacquer didn't dissolve? Thanks Kevin.

Hi All....

I would like to refinish our floats with the standard silver float lacquer. The airplane is hauled out of the water but in a location that makes spraying the paint impractical. Has anyone got nice looking results using a brush and/or roller? And if using a roller, what kind did you use that the float lacquer didn't dissolve? Thanks Kevin.

Never heard of anyone rolling or brushing it on. Only spray

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I know the OP said spray was impractical, but this is the best rattle can lacquer I've come across for floats: https://duplicolor.com/product/premium-lacquer

Typically lacquer dries quickly and using a brush or roller can lift previously applied finish. Maybe an electric self contained HVLP hand held sprayer would offer a lower level of overspray than a pressure gun or typical small airless unit.

Gary

Brushing any paint with metal flake in it is nearly impossible to make look good, not to mention as Gary said, lacquer tends to lift previous coats when brushed. I'm not aware of any way to apply anything metallic and make it look even semi-decent except spraying. Not sure what makes spraying impractical for you, but one of the nice things about lacquer is that any overspray is usually just dust because it dries so quickly in the air. Sounds like you're trying to do it with floats installed on the plane...? I'd say wait til fall, pull them off, take struts, etc off, and do it right.

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up finding an autobody paint supplier that could load my float lacquer in to rattle cans. A bit more costly u it should work well. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Due to time and space constraints this spring, I hand painted mine with a soft small bristle brush. It worked just fine.

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 007 (1280x960).jpg
    2012-12-31 007 (1280x960).jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 156
Back