• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dang Birds Finally Got Me in the Arse

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I have been very lucky these fifteen or so years with this plane of not having any birds in the tail, well, that luck ran out this week. I really appreciated the metal belly under the tail now (it is where the battery used to be for amphib CG) for the clean out. Going to have to add plugs for the jackscrew holes... anybody have any special tricks for this?

birds1.jpg
The first clue...

birds3.jpg
Yay for metal belly in the rear
birds2.jpg
These ambitious (dumb) birds filled up the entire tail of the plane...

Attachments

• birds1.jpg
    birds1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 262
  • birds2.jpg
    birds2.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 265
  • birds3.jpg
    birds3.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Put a fake owl on a post in the hanger. One of those bobble head ones will work well. Use them in hangers and gardens here. I would be real cautious about making plugs for the jack screw area unless they are extremely noticable during a preflight.

Put a fake owl on a post in the hanger. One of those bobble head ones will work well. Use them in hangers and gardens here. I would be real cautious about making plugs for the jack screw area unless they are extremely noticable during a preflight.

Not having trim would not be the worst thing in the world. Regarding plastic owls, our birds are so dumb (or smart) they sit on top of them in all the hangars.

sj

I put a fake owl on my prop when I had an open hangar. It wasn't long before it had bird poop all over it.

On my gas pump hose reel birds like to nest so I just put a rubber snake there and they don't come back. Maybe you could lay one on the horizontal stabilizer? Don't scare Cafi.

How about some poison milo. Works real well [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried one of those electronic bird devices years ago, waste of money, didn't work at all. What has worked perfectly is a Wilson Bi Fold door.

I had a Cirrus customer in NC several years ago complain of erratic oil temp. He'd been on an overnight trip and the plane sat outside for ONE DAY. In that one day, a bird built a massive nest between the rear baffle and the oil cooler.

I had a Cirrus customer in NC several years ago complain of erratic oil temp. He'd been on an overnight trip and the plane sat outside for ONE DAY. In that one day, a bird built a massive nest between the rear baffle and the oil cooler.

Quit giving SJ excuses Jon, he has at least three ready at all times anyway. ;)

I was told a fake snake would work, put a coiled rattlesnake on top of the cowling.

You guessed it, 3 days later nest was started inside the coiled snake.

BINGO! at least it wasn't inside the cowling.:lol:

12 yr old kid and a BB gun....or an Army CWO3, a case of beer and his trusty sergeant, and a pellet gun. That's how my brother dealt with hangar visitors as the building custodian at Ft Campbell.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Company hired a guy with a hawk one time to come get the birds out of the big hangars, hawk tried like heck but the little birds just out maneuvered him in the rafters.

Wife was pissed about the sparrows building on my elk antlers above the garage door, I put up a small box house for them and problem solved, for now...

I tried shooting all the rabbits out once, two weeks later twice as many moved in. Now I just throw them some scratch in the driveway in hopes of keeping them out of the flowers.

Guess Im just getting soft!

Back