• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WTF is this little cable ?

Naaalex

France
Hi Guys

There is a very thin cable in the tail of the Supercub, here it is when looking at junction beetween the horizontal and the vertical stabilizers :

question_cub_pic2.jpg
Do you see that thin cable pointed by the red arrow?

If you look at the parts catalog, it is depicted on the figure titled : "Stabilizer adjustment yoke and Bungee installation" (see blue arrow):

Question_Cable4.jpg

I am a bit concerned because this little cable on the first picture above seems to be quite thin and not very reliable.

Does anyone can tell me more about it, and what would happen in case it gets broken ?

Alexandra

Attachments

• question_cub_pic2.jpg
    question_cub_pic2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • Question_Cable4.jpg
    Question_Cable4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
To your 2nd question, if it breaks the trim indicator button will stop moving when you adjust the trim.

To be more precise, I think the thin cable we see on my first (very low quality...) picture is that blue one.

suite-questioncable.png

Yes Cruiser, thanks, you are right, that is what I assumed when I understood what this cable was (thanks guys!).

I should probably get ready to buy a new cable as this one seems to be getting old :)

Happy landings guys !

Attachments

• suite-questioncable.png
    suite-questioncable.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Original is piano wire. If you replace it use Berkeley steel braided fishing leader that's plastic coated. It will last longer

Last edited:
The most important thing to do is learn how to adjust the trim without the indicator. First figure out how many turns for full travel from full nose up to full nose down. Now start with takeoff, how many turns do you use from full nose up (or down)to take off. How about if you have someone in the back. Do the same for landing. Having this information is good for when the indicator cable brakes, it may take a while to get it fixed. If you know how to trim by count it really won't matter if the indicator is working or not. It is also very handy for setting trim at night or when you are taxiing and trying to look out to avoid stuff.
DENNY

The most important thing to do is learn how to adjust the trim without the indicator. First figure out how many turns for full travel from full nose up to full nose down. Now start with takeoff, how many turns do you use from full nose up (or down)to take off. How about if you have someone in the back. Do the same for landing. Having this information is good for when the indicator cable brakes, it may take a while to get it fixed. If you know how to trim by count it really won't matter if the indicator is working or not. It is also very handy for setting trim at night or when you are taxiing and trying to look out to avoid stuff.
DENNY

To be honest with you, I think I have never had a single look at this indicator... just useless for me, you feel the piper good enough just by handling it, and you can override this trim so easily that a mistrim is not unsafe.

Alexandra

Back