• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 top cowl snubber?

bob turner

There is a 12 locally with an angle piece at the top center of the nose cowl where it meets the top cowl. It does not contact the engine case. IA (not me) wants it attached. I think that might be a lousy idea.

Help? I can maybe post photos with some effort.

if i am reading that right, you mean the piece that hangs down with the rub block on bottom?
rarely do they (original) touch on ground, I extend them to be closer or just touch

Let me see if I can attach a photo: PA-12 nose cowl to engine attachment   (3).JPG

Yes, that worked. Apparently something has to happen to that little angle before the IA will sign the annual. My opinion is that it is fine as-is, having made it this far without a major catastrophe. This aircraft actually made it to Europe and back like that.

Both the owner and I are IAs, but our opinions need to be augmented. The annual has to be through a Repair Station.

Attachments

• PA-12 nose cowl to engine attachment   (3).JPG
    PA-12 nose cowl to engine attachment (3).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
What, exactly, is this IA's justification for wanting to attach this bracket to the engine? I.e. why does he think that is correct?

Web

if i am reading that right, you mean the piece that hangs down with the rub block on bottom?
rarely do they (original) touch on ground, I extend them to be closer or just touch

Mike, can you attach the snubber to the case using the case bolts instead of attaching it to the cowl?

View attachment 31408
Both the owner and I are IAs, but our opinions need to be augmented. The annual has to be through a Repair Station.
Bob,
It does look as though the rub strip is worn and ought to be replaced. Tell the other IA that the cowl is fixed to the airframe and that the engine through normal operation moves inside the cowl. If the engine were fixed to the cowl, the part which makes the connection would break. If the people in the repair station think that it needs to be attached to the engine, find another repair station because this one has no business working on a PA-12.

For us amateurs, what does he see that makes the airplane not airworthy?

For us amateurs, what does he see that makes the airplane not airworthy?
That L shaped bracket which is hanging down from the stiffener on the top cowl. It's only purpose is to keep the cowl from sagging too low so that the starter ring gear contacts the nose bowl. There is supposed to be an anti-chaffing block on the bottom leg of the L where it can rest on the pad on the engine case. You can see half of an anti-chaffing strip along with both rivets.

This thread sure has caught my attention. I have been experiencing a ton of cowl wear on my PA-18 since my rebuild in 2013 (750 hours of flying) and now am seeing the root of my issue. I have a rubber piece that directly attaches the cowl to the top of the case. I can see that I have to get this piece of rubber the hell out of there.

Does anyone have a picture of what the original "bumper" system is supposed to look like?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. My second contact with Univair with more info, Mark found the nose cowl rubber pad part no. U10189-008 but did not have the pad in stock so Mark emailed me the measurements 0.063 inches thick x 2.00 inches long x 0.50 inches wide neoprene rubber.
Thanks again,
Bob

most originals rub blocks are just phenolic that i have seen, but did not touch or come close to engine... think they were just there as a oh **** limit thing...

Piston engines are not as smooth as electric motors---attaching to the engine would shake heck out of the cowling--cowlings are aluminum and are prone to cracking when shook--perhaps some of the younger generation of inspectors just don't have the right experience/information. Was recently involved with the repair of a nice 90 H.P. Supercub that flew like a dream when completed.. inspected and signed off by a competent cub man---the next year the planes annual was done by another inspector who did not understand the correct method of weight and balance---added a bunch of lead to the tail---just very lucky no body was hurt before the mistake was corrected. When there are doubts about cub stuff, dot org is the best place to ask questions as the experience of so many here is priceless and can be life saving----geezer Dan

Back