• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maule M5-180C Brake Discrepancy

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
So a while back we installed 31" Bushwheels and a Baby Bushwheel tailwheel on an M5-180C Maule. Went from single puck brakes to ABI-30-52N calipers and new 164-03601 3 hole brake discs. Doing an inspection today I notice this.
fbc861b04ed0c0e7e93f5f78bca01ecd.jpg

The caliper is hitting the torque plate and is going to wear the outside brake pad and not the inside pad.
6fba9904e4cbf2eaf03ff5cb74f587b2.jpg

I was thinking maybe we turned that torque plate around the wrong way but decided I needed to ask someone smarter on these things than me. I sent a text to Wup not expecting an answer for a while because of time difference but while I was making this post I got an answer.
"Drawing 4035F allows for machining of that lug to allow full engagement. All parts are correct. Sometimes it's needed sometimes not
Wup"
"Stupid mauleisums
Wup"

Ask and though shall receive.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Shortening the inboard wheel bearing stop/shoulder on the axle would be my first go........but I havent touched a Maule in 20-plus years...

.....am I missing something? (Pun intended)

All is right with the world. I looked up the drawing Wup referred me to and I can main .380" off the lugs. I thought that was the answer till he pointed out as the pads wear the caliper gets further away from the torque plate lugs. Pulled the calipers off with the lines still atached, cleaned the caliper pins and torque plate bushings, lubricated with silicone spray and reassembled. When I got to looking I have a little gap be teen the caliper and the torque plate bushing which will get to be more as the pads wear. Gotta love those longer caliper pins ABW uses vs Cleveland as well.

Those long pins are Clevelands latest revision......copied by ABI. Which is a good thing!
I love ABI's finish coating versus Clevelands "lacquer" or whatever flaky stuff they use

Dont think ABW copied those from Cleveland. From my coversation with Bill Duncan several years ago that was his idea. I know he had them way back before he got approval for his brakes.

From my conversation. With the Cleveland rep and Sun & Fun I hope I never have to buy any of their over priced parts.

I figure everyone would choose ABI over Cleveland AND over Scott Tailwheels.

ABI front office told me they copied the latest Revision of Cleveland with long pins. We were having a conversation specific to pin engagement and the long pin option. Who knows??

Steve, did you ever get a 1-900 number? :)

They didn't have anything to do with the certification of the ABW wheels and brakes. Bill Duncan did that 5-6 years ago and got them approved just before he sold to Airframes. The long studs was something Bill addressed having had issues with the short Cleveland studs when doing Bushwheel installs. Necessity is the mother of invention. 8)

Wellllll.... It's been a while but I'm still here I guess. Dave you can't pull any off the bearing spacer as the break disk will rub on the gear leg.. and yes we did use the Cleveland pins to model our/the (ABI) pins

Sent from my XT1254 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hey guys, when the brake linings are new you will need a minimum of .150 inch space between the press plate and the torque plate bushing. As the linings wear the press plate moves closer to the torque plate. If you don't have the space the brakes will no longer work as the linings wear. The press plate will only push against the torque plate. We make Maules spring gear and master cylinders, I know all about Mauleisums.

Dont think ABW copied those from Cleveland. From my coversation with Bill Duncan several years ago that was his idea. I know he had them way back before he got approval for his brakes.

From my conversation. With the Cleveland rep and Sun & Fun I hope I never have to buy any of their over priced parts.

stoddards had been selling long pins made locally as long as I can remember like 30 years ago for use with air streaks. But they can bend. The one sanity check I do when installing wheels is check that those tourqe plate lugs are level with brake disk face. Also why I don't like mix and matching wheel parts, can send you on a long slippery slope of wasted time and $$

All is right with the world. I looked up the drawing Wup referred me to and I can main .380" off the lugs.
Alternatively, How about making a spacer out of 2024-T3 .040" (or whatever is needed) to push the torque plate outboard? I did this using .125" with the Groves on my Backcountry (Javron) landing gear.

Back