Thread: Baddest Husky ever?

Post Thanks / Like

Baddest Husky ever?

Spotted over the weekend, interesting. The flaps are huge, slotted, and fowler type I believe, different then normal anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks lancef53 thanked for this post
    Likes pzinck, lancef53, C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There it is....
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, Where and how do I get mine? Banner planes need these kind of mods. I'd really like a cuffed leading edge like Crosswinds on this Cub Airfoil. Apologies to SC crowd for using an ersatz imitation Cub. It's all the money my wife would allow me.
    Media banner ZZ2017.jpg IMG_0498.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Spotted over the weekend, interesting. The flaps are huge, slotted, and fowler type I believe, different then normal anyway.
    I spoke with Stu Horn, owner of Aviat, last year at OSH, and he alluded to upcoming changes on their prototype.....it will be interesting to see what kind of performance they come up with.

MTV
    Likes pzinck, Cubus Maximus, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    I spoke with Stu Horn, owner of Aviat, last year at OSH, and he alluded to upcoming changes on their prototype.....it will be interesting to see what kind of performance they come up with.

MTV
    That picture must be of a test mule for Aviat. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...nNumberTxt=947
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Great, Where and how do I get mine? Banner planes need these kind of mods. I'd really like a cuffed leading edge like Crosswinds on this Cub Airfoil. Apologies to SC crowd for using an ersatz imitation Cub. It's all the money my wife would allow me.
    It's only money Wayne.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    But it's still a Husky.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes alaskadrifter, Jon Delamarter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    The banner cubs I flew were restricted cat, and had hard foam shaped in a leading edge droop a permanent drooped leading edge foam with plastic coating around it than rivited to the leading edge, also had Ferguson droop wingtips, great at flying slow. Google "Aerial Sign Company" out of KHWO Florida.
    Likes pzinck, bowenjo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, still a Husky, all the more reason for me to post it here! The only reason I saw it was when I walking to the cafe across the street I walk right behind their ramp, and it's always interesting to see what's tied up. Sunday morning, so no one around, open to public view, no trespassing involved. Over the years, over 30 now, I've been hitting this one breakfast spot near their plant, the consistent level of activity there is great to see. I ended up at the cafe talking with a 40 year employee of the plant, that is so impressive. He mentioned at one point, as we were talking about the cost of flying, how (and I am pretty sure I have this right, but still can't believe it) a brand new 180 hp Lycoming, OEM price, is 78K! Could that be possible?
    Thanks TopHeavy thanked for this post
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Husky doesnt meed a slat

Husky stock flap is actually pretty good. Even the A and B models.

Huskys need a HIGHER wing incidence. seems easy to accomplish for testing, along with a stab incidence change.

Even the older models aRE pretty darn good with a driver who flies them on the edge and NOT by the POH. They are not like a Cub. Nor is a Cub like a Carbon Cub, except the drag similarities CCCC versus -18.
    Likes pzinck, bowenjo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The H---- is a pretty good airplane, and a lot of bang for the buck, even if it is not as nice to fly as a -18. Although a PA-18 with 180, long wings, extra fuel, cuffs etc etc is a better tow plane, it is also about $50-75,000 more to prepare, plus a lot of time. For our missions, cross country is also a big factor, and I've accomplished more than a few jobs that I would have missed out on due to weather and time at 90MPH. I made it from Phoenix AZ to Hampton NH in 2 days last summer. 6 long legs and arrived just before a storm the next day. Crucial mission accomplished. I never flew a plane I didn't learn to like in one way or another.
    Likes Dave Calkins, pzinck, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Husky's and a very nice Supercub. Like them both for different reasons. Husky is far more comfortable, and way faster. I put the extended cub gear mod on my Husky with AOSS shocks, 31" bushwheels, have same on the cub too but with 35's. Just makes the Husky a better off field plane and as mine is pretty light compared to stock Husky it is about the same performance as the cub, but again, far more comfortable and faster. Do not knock them if you have not tried them. They fly differently, so if one does not learn it they will hate it going from cub.Totally different techniques in Husky compared to cub. Husky flaps are all lift, not drag. My Husky is less than 50lbs heavier than the cub, if you fly a heavy Husky they are not as good, especially the 200HP versions, very heavy. Now doing an older A1 Husky project to make it the lightest Husky possible, will be under 1200 lbs for sure, hoping for about 1170, that is with cub extended gear, 31's, AOSS too.
    John
    Thanks Farmboy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally,noflaphingestohityourhead
    Likes Dave Calkins, cubamigo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Billy Brine needs one.....
    Thanks Bill.Brine, bowenjo thanked for this post
    Likes pzinck, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    You forgot the hashtag #
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    You forgot the hashtag #
    Weird,don't know why the space bar wasn't working in the quick reply box

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to flying my Husky this summer, bought a gravel bar flip over and have it almost done. Never even had a ride in a Husky so should be fun. The only drawback thing I've found is Aviat is tough to do business with but there are several aftermarket parts available. The plane is really nice to work on and well thought out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory test Husky in the photo not only has slats, extended gear and new flaps it also Dan's T3 tailwheel shock.
    Last edited by Bill.Brine; 05-17-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    Likes cubdriver2, pzinck, cubamigo, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill.Brine View Post
    it also Dan's T3 tailwheel shock.
    All the cool planes do

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes pzinck, Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't this one was it?

Husky Crash 012.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I'm looking forward to flying my Husky this summer, bought a gravel bar flip over and have it almost done. Never even had a ride in a Husky so should be fun. The only drawback thing I've found is Aviat is tough to do business with but there are several aftermarket parts available. The plane is really nice to work on and well thought out.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I use them to keep unwanted people away from the cockpit. Works well. Still haven't figured out how to keep people from stepping on the wing struts. At the Air Show in Zhengzhou China 2 weeks ago, I wast talked into giving a young Turkish airline pilot a ride. Nice young fella. He arrived in full uniform including his hat (that should have tipped me off) and immediately stepped on the wing struts. As you can imagine I was very displeased (very loud shouting and unnecessarily foul language) but I realized that people just aren't trained in the basics of aviation. No doubt he learned in a Diamond (yuch!) and had no idea that the struts were for anything other than to help him get into the back seat. We made friends and I looked at the struts long and hard. In this case, I was glad not to have a front strut fork. For those flying "H" Cubs, I clean the hair and scalp off the flap hangars daily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, LOL it's close, the same color almost and the damage looks the same. A couple of holes in the tops of the wings from rocks or brush , one wing tip and the rudder of course.IMG_1139.JPGIMG_1139.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory test Husky in the photo not only has slats, extended gear and new flaps it also Dan's T3 tailwheel shock.
    Yeah I forgot to point that out, but figured sharp eyes here would catch it.

One thing I have not heard commented on, I saw a Husky once undergoing an annual, and for the first time noticed all the REMOVABLE side panels along the fuselage. That struck me as going the extra distance to make long term maintenance and inspection as easy as possible, and if the rest of the thing is built like that small detail, it was impressive. More importantly, my next home built will have such a feature if at all possible, I'll steal good ideas where ever found.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought that Husky brand new, sold it later, not the one who put it upside down!
    It is all fixed now and flying again.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I forgot to point that out, but figured sharp eyes here would catch it.

One thing I have not heard commented on, I saw a Husky once undergoing an annual, and for the first time noticed all the REMOVABLE side panels along the fuselage. That struck me as going the extra distance to make long term maintenance and inspection as easy as possible, and if the rest of the thing is built like that small detail, it was impressive. More importantly, my next home built will have such a feature if at all possible, I'll steal good ideas where ever found.
    Those metal panels are one reason why the Husky is usually 100 pounds or more heavier than a similarly appointed Cub.

All those machine screws amd nutplates, amd rattling, and they are loud inside, and the door handle turns the wrong way.

But they fly!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The lightweight Husky A1 project we are doing will not have all the metal panels, removed all the excess nut plates, etc. and all going to fabric to boot cowl, like cub. On a weight program. Interior will be all carbon fiber panels.
    John
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you count the screws? How many maintenance hours does it take to remove and reinstall them during an inspection?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Did you count the screws? How many maintenance hours does it take to remove and reinstall them during an inspection?
    I am slow screw turner. Takes me about an hour to fully open the Husky if I don't get distracted. Quicker than opening up a Mooney.
    The trick is using the correct length screws along the lower longeron on reassembly. There is a new SB on that bit of reassembly.

All panel do not need to come off for an inspection. The panels do provide great access for maintenance. The bag of screws must weigh three pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never saw a reason to remove those panels except when replcing the trim ratchet POS or modifying to Super Cub gear and ASOS.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a new set of EDO 2000 floats on one of the early ones. Those screws have been on my mind about Huskys ever since. It took twice as many hours as normal on any other type of plane for the installation.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw it at the factory last summer.
    20160701_102200.jpg
    Thanks SpainCub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody ought to come up with a carbon fiber panel replacement kit. Also the same for SC belly pans? I agree about the noisy cockpit. It has a very "hard" feeling to it. Bit like a Pawnee with all that darn mental vibrating and making weird sounds. How about Kydex for the interior? How's it compare in weight? What's the legality of changing or pulling the interior panels in a Part 23 Airplane? (Friends- please don't laugh) or of changing the exterior aluminum panels for Dacron? I think I"m averaging about 1230 lbs, and Im sure I could get under 1200. An Earthex battery would cut a lot but I'm very nervous about them, and don't want to add any distractions like volt meters, temp gauges etc. "Less is more." As for the H-Cub vs. PA-18 it's true, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or maybe better, Often imitated, never duplicated."

Post Thanks / Like

Baddest Husky ever?

That's it. I'm switching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cubamigo; 05-24-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, pzinck, kestrel liked this post