• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baddest Husky ever?

courierguy

Inkom, Idaho
Spotted over the weekend, interesting. The flaps are huge, slotted, and fowler type I believe, different then normal anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_095503455~2.jpg
    IMG_20170514_095503455~2.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 741
Great, Where and how do I get mine? Banner planes need these kind of mods. I'd really like a cuffed leading edge like Crosswinds on this Cub Airfoil. Apologies to SC crowd for using an ersatz imitation Cub. It's all the money my wife would allow me.
Media banner ZZ2017.jpg IMG_0498.JPG

Attachments

• Media banner ZZ2017.jpg
    Media banner ZZ2017.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 306
Spotted over the weekend, interesting. The flaps are huge, slotted, and fowler type I believe, different then normal anyway.

I spoke with Stu Horn, owner of Aviat, last year at OSH, and he alluded to upcoming changes on their prototype.....it will be interesting to see what kind of performance they come up with.

MTV

Great, Where and how do I get mine? Banner planes need these kind of mods. I'd really like a cuffed leading edge like Crosswinds on this Cub Airfoil. Apologies to SC crowd for using an ersatz imitation Cub. It's all the money my wife would allow me.
View attachment 31376 View attachment 31377

The banner cubs I flew were restricted cat, and had hard foam shaped in a leading edge droop a permanent drooped leading edge foam with plastic coating around it than rivited to the leading edge, also had Ferguson droop wingtips, great at flying slow. Google "Aerial Sign Company" out of KHWO Florida.

Yeah, still a Husky, all the more reason for me to post it here! The only reason I saw it was when I walking to the cafe across the street I walk right behind their ramp, and it's always interesting to see what's tied up. Sunday morning, so no one around, open to public view, no trespassing involved. Over the years, over 30 now, I've been hitting this one breakfast spot near their plant, the consistent level of activity there is great to see. I ended up at the cafe talking with a 40 year employee of the plant, that is so impressive. He mentioned at one point, as we were talking about the cost of flying, how (and I am pretty sure I have this right, but still can't believe it) a brand new 180 hp Lycoming, OEM price, is 78K! Could that be possible?

Husky doesnt meed a slat

Husky stock flap is actually pretty good. Even the A and B models.

Huskys need a HIGHER wing incidence. seems easy to accomplish for testing, along with a stab incidence change.

Even the older models aRE pretty darn good with a driver who flies them on the edge and NOT by the POH. They are not like a Cub. Nor is a Cub like a Carbon Cub, except the drag similarities CCCC versus -18.

The H---- is a pretty good airplane, and a lot of bang for the buck, even if it is not as nice to fly as a -18. Although a PA-18 with 180, long wings, extra fuel, cuffs etc etc is a better tow plane, it is also about $50-75,000 more to prepare, plus a lot of time. For our missions, cross country is also a big factor, and I've accomplished more than a few jobs that I would have missed out on due to weather and time at 90MPH. I made it from Phoenix AZ to Hampton NH in 2 days last summer. 6 long legs and arrived just before a storm the next day. Crucial mission accomplished. I never flew a plane I didn't learn to like in one way or another.

I have Husky's and a very nice Supercub. Like them both for different reasons. Husky is far more comfortable, and way faster. I put the extended cub gear mod on my Husky with AOSS shocks, 31" bushwheels, have same on the cub too but with 35's. Just makes the Husky a better off field plane and as mine is pretty light compared to stock Husky it is about the same performance as the cub, but again, far more comfortable and faster. Do not knock them if you have not tried them. They fly differently, so if one does not learn it they will hate it going from cub.Totally different techniques in Husky compared to cub. Husky flaps are all lift, not drag. My Husky is less than 50lbs heavier than the cub, if you fly a heavy Husky they are not as good, especially the 200HP versions, very heavy. Now doing an older A1 Husky project to make it the lightest Husky possible, will be under 1200 lbs for sure, hoping for about 1170, that is with cub extended gear, 31's, AOSS too.
John

I'm looking forward to flying my Husky this summer, bought a gravel bar flip over and have it almost done. Never even had a ride in a Husky so should be fun. The only drawback thing I've found is Aviat is tough to do business with but there are several aftermarket parts available. The plane is really nice to work on and well thought out.

Wasn't this one was it?

Husky Crash 012.jpg
I'm looking forward to flying my Husky this summer, bought a gravel bar flip over and have it almost done. Never even had a ride in a Husky so should be fun. The only drawback thing I've found is Aviat is tough to do business with but there are several aftermarket parts available. The plane is really nice to work on and well thought out.

Attachments

• Husky Crash 012.jpg
    Husky Crash 012.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 1,910
Finally,noflaphingestohityourhead

I use them to keep unwanted people away from the cockpit. Works well. Still haven't figured out how to keep people from stepping on the wing struts. At the Air Show in Zhengzhou China 2 weeks ago, I wast talked into giving a young Turkish airline pilot a ride. Nice young fella. He arrived in full uniform including his hat (that should have tipped me off) and immediately stepped on the wing struts. As you can imagine I was very displeased (very loud shouting and unnecessarily foul language) but I realized that people just aren't trained in the basics of aviation. No doubt he learned in a Diamond (yuch!) and had no idea that the struts were for anything other than to help him get into the back seat. We made friends and I looked at the struts long and hard. In this case, I was glad not to have a front strut fork. For those flying "H" Cubs, I clean the hair and scalp off the flap hangars daily.

Steve, LOL it's close, the same color almost and the damage looks the same. A couple of holes in the tops of the wings from rocks or brush , one wing tip and the rudder of course.IMG_1139.JPGIMG_1139.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 213
The factory test Husky in the photo not only has slats, extended gear and new flaps it also Dan's T3 tailwheel shock.

Yeah I forgot to point that out, but figured sharp eyes here would catch it.

One thing I have not heard commented on, I saw a Husky once undergoing an annual, and for the first time noticed all the REMOVABLE side panels along the fuselage. That struck me as going the extra distance to make long term maintenance and inspection as easy as possible, and if the rest of the thing is built like that small detail, it was impressive. More importantly, my next home built will have such a feature if at all possible, I'll steal good ideas where ever found.

I bought that Husky brand new, sold it later, not the one who put it upside down!
It is all fixed now and flying again.
John

Yeah I forgot to point that out, but figured sharp eyes here would catch it.

One thing I have not heard commented on, I saw a Husky once undergoing an annual, and for the first time noticed all the REMOVABLE side panels along the fuselage. That struck me as going the extra distance to make long term maintenance and inspection as easy as possible, and if the rest of the thing is built like that small detail, it was impressive. More importantly, my next home built will have such a feature if at all possible, I'll steal good ideas where ever found.

Those metal panels are one reason why the Husky is usually 100 pounds or more heavier than a similarly appointed Cub.

All those machine screws amd nutplates, amd rattling, and they are loud inside, and the door handle turns the wrong way.

But they fly!!

The lightweight Husky A1 project we are doing will not have all the metal panels, removed all the excess nut plates, etc. and all going to fabric to boot cowl, like cub. On a weight program. Interior will be all carbon fiber panels.
John

Did you count the screws? How many maintenance hours does it take to remove and reinstall them during an inspection?

Did you count the screws? How many maintenance hours does it take to remove and reinstall them during an inspection?

I am slow screw turner. Takes me about an hour to fully open the Husky if I don't get distracted. Quicker than opening up a Mooney.
The trick is using the correct length screws along the lower longeron on reassembly. There is a new SB on that bit of reassembly.

All panel do not need to come off for an inspection. The panels do provide great access for maintenance. The bag of screws must weigh three pounds.

I never saw a reason to remove those panels except when replcing the trim ratchet POS or modifying to Super Cub gear and ASOS.

I installed a new set of EDO 2000 floats on one of the early ones. Those screws have been on my mind about Huskys ever since. It took twice as many hours as normal on any other type of plane for the installation.

Back