• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catto Propellers On Certified Super Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
A little birdie called me from the Airman Show yesterday and told me that he overheard Craig Catto talking about the number of Catto propellers on certified airplanes in Alaska that the Aircraft Certification Office in Anchorage wanted to get them certified. Seems they have been working with Catto and hope to have an STC by October.

To me this is huge. I operate on sand and gravel a lot and have seen what it does to my McCauley and doesn't do to the nickel leading edge of a Catto of others I fly with. I think this will be welcome news to many.

a little birdie told me an 84/37 (for 160 hp o-320) was $3,100, including all hardware - delivered to the show

Just know that a pre-STC built propeller will not be certified.

The pre STC prop does not have "FAA oversight" but according to Catto it is identical.

My question..

If determined to be identical..will our FSDO's be likely to give a field approval on prior serial numbers....?

The last contact I had with Craig Catto, in Feb. he said they were not pursuing a STC any longer but were going the field approval route with engineering data.

Hope the little birdie is right!!

The pre STC prop does not have "FAA oversight" but according to Catto it is identical.

My question..

If determined to be identical..will our FSDO's be likely to give a field approval on prior serial numbers....?
There will be markings on the data plate which indicates approval. The prior data plates will not have these markings.

My question..

The last contact I had with Craig Catto, in Feb. he said they were not pursuing a STC any longer but were going the field approval route with engineering data.

Hope the little birdie is right!!

There are so many different designs I have seen over the years I am not sure how that would work.

Very good news. Not a done deal but great news. I asked craig about any impact the Part 23 rewrite might have earlier this year and he discounted it butperhaps we are seeing a more reasonable attitude from the FAA now??? Lets keep our fingers crossed
Hello Steve,
With the new re-write of the FAR23 it will make it possible. And we have a letter from the FAA stating so. And how we will do it. If we can keep things going on a fast pace, we should be able to do it by the third quarter of this year. We will also have to get the facilities cerfified, PMA to make the STC. But yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.
The FAA is willing to consider the entire family of our supercub props to be considered in pretty much one STC.
With the re-write that takes effect in August, it will be possible.
Really good news.
Craig

I spoke to Craig at the trade show and he thought it realistic for them to have the STC completed about one year from now.

Randy

Once they have an "approved propeller" on one model, even if they don't go for an STC, a sympathetic inspector could do a field approval. An alternative would be a DAR field approval or a DER approval on an 8110-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before changing I would ask for real demonstrated benefits over existing propellers. What are they? Static pull, climb, cruise for example? How much is gain and how much is hope? I'd like to see a comparison before getting all moist and anxious.

Gary

Before changing I would ask for real demonstrated benefits over existing propellers. What are they? Static pull, climb, cruise for example? How much is gain and how much is hope? I'd like to see a comparison before getting all moist and anxious.

Gary

The ones I have seen were quicker off the ground, faster in cruise, lighter weight and the leading edge is about an 80 Rockwell hardness compared to about 7 on my McCauley, if you operate on any sand or gravel this is huge by itself. Plus if you have a prop strike the crank isn't getting near the forces applied to it as a metal prop. Win, Win, Win in my book.

The ones I have seen were quicker off the ground, faster in cruise, lighter weight and the leading edge is about an 80 Rockwell hardness compared to about 7 on my McCauley, if you operate on any sand or gravel this is huge by itself. Plus if you have a prop strike the crank isn't getting near the forces applied to it as a metal prop. Win, Win, Win in my book.

How does it stand up to water spray on a seaplane?

Good positive points Steve on durability and minimizing engine damage. Still some real time data on performance would be good to share. That's probably available and maybe offered elsewhere or will be as part of the certification. I'm not suggesting the benefits are hype but would like to see them rather than feel them.

Gary

Good positive points Steve on durability and minimizing engine damage. Still some real time data on performance would be good to share. That's probably available and maybe offered elsewhere or will be as part of the certification. I'm not suggesting the benefits are hype but would like to see them rather than feel them.

Gary

I think the number of Uncertified Catto props on certified airplanes are a pretty good indication. Everything I posted was from owners who have used both 1A175, 1A200, Sensenich 74DM and the Cattos. Have not heard one person complain about a Catto. Their only complaint is that they have to remove them for annual inspections. Guess that is why the FAA decided to step up and get this done.

My 80-54 NLE weighs about 12 lbs. that should help the nose heavy 150hp cubs.

Jake

How does it stand up to water spray on a seaplane?

I would think better then Alum. I know that Joe turned one into a reaper one day in 5' tall swamp grass and returned with a bale or two on his landing gear and wing roots and no damage other then an ugly green color to the Catto

Glenn

I would think better then Alum. I know that Joe turned one into a reaper one day in 5' tall swamp grass and returned with a bale or two on his landing gear and wing roots and no damage other then an ugly green color to the Catto

Glenn

I saw a picture of that. :crazyeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back